Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Cyril Pahinui @ Blvd Music, LA area
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2009 :  1:00:13 PM  Show Profile
Any other Los Angeles-area folks going? Blvd Music in Culver City [corner of Sepulveda & Culver Blvds] is an xlnt, small/comfortable store/venue in the vein of McCabe's. In fact owner Gary Mandell worked at McCabe's back in the day as did recently deceased [RIP] venerable/genius luthier Larry Brown. Dear John's [bar-restaurant] conveniently across the street, hoisted a few w/Larry there.
Capacity's limited but it's a great place to see/hear music, not possible to be more'n 25-30' from the artist[s] performing. I'll be the ha'ole guy w/gorgeous, diminutive/silver-haired Hawai`ian wife keepin' me in check; say hi if you choose to. Last time we saw Cyril was "1st Night" in Honolulu decade+ ago w/my now-deceased in-laws. Am hopin' he'll sing "Hi`ilawe" amongst others.

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2009 :  6:18:54 PM  Show Profile
Actually, I'm planning on picking up a ticket this week. I hadn't heard of the store so want to check it out while open. I looked at a nice rosewood Taylor at Buffalo Bros, and then decided to check out McCabe's. Didn't like the koa Taylor, but unfortunately found a koa Goodall that I played for maybe 2 hrs... gosh, I thought I was gonna buy the Taylor at 1/2 the price.... what to do, what to do??? Keep looking?
Basil, I'm a chunky haole, probably by myself, with long hair and tutu vintage. Maybe Scott or Kathie will come too.
Aloha!
Go to Top of Page

bobby3dog
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  05:54:42 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Nancy,
Hey were you thinking of going to Cyrils Kohala huaka'i next week out in Hawi (Hawaii island)? I am for sure.
A hui hou,
Allan (aka: B3D)

b3d
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2009 :  08:11:11 AM  Show Profile
Aloha!
No, but as you probably saw, I'll be at George's workshop in Napili, and both Maggie and I are thinking of going to Pahala in December. Are you coming to Maui?
Hope to see you soon somewhere in this kind slack key world.
Malama pono,
n
Go to Top of Page

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2009 :  8:23:11 PM  Show Profile
Cyril was great, got to meet Nancy & a few other SoCal folks, a good night.
Go to Top of Page

T-Dan
Lokahi

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  2:44:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit T-Dan's Homepage
Here's a copy drawing I gave to Uncle Cyril after the Slack Key Fest earlier this year...

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/tdanim8/cyril2b.jpg

Edited by - T-Dan on 06/10/2009 2:44:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  4:38:51 PM  Show Profile
very cool Dan

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  9:46:35 PM  Show Profile
T-Dan - that is GREAT!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

T-Dan
Lokahi

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  2:22:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit T-Dan's Homepage
Thank you.
It was based on a rough sketch I did at the Slack Key Fest reception at Duke's in Malibu. I added the finishing touches and color in Photoshop and printed it up for him.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  1:11:20 PM  Show Profile
Ed - you are right about the kleenex. If I ever whine about not being able to eat a mango or shoyu and stuff lidat, smack me, OK?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000