Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Taropatch.net Miscellaneous
 Announcements, Feedback, Suggestions
 Long link = having to scroll to read the text
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Basil Henriques
Lokahi

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  2:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Basil Henriques's Homepage
Why are not links allowed to be formed like this :-
Click Here
On other forums this would result in a 'Clickable' "Click Here"..
Instead of what's here :-
http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5433

Baz
FWIW

Edited by - Basil Henriques on 07/29/2007 05:34:23 AM

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  6:28:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Not to answer for Andy, but if you look through the "Forum Code" link to the left of the Quick Reply box, you'll see that [url] is not included. Andy apparently chose to disable this feature.

Links still work, of course, but you simply enter the url "in the raw" and label it on the side:

Our discussion: http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5435

If you're concerned with shortening links, and I agree that long ones are a pain, http://www.tinyurl.com offers one solution. I've used it when a link was annoyingly long.

By the way, great discussion in the steel guitar forum, so glad you found this site. And thanks a lot for the Marty and Jerry stuff.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 07/28/2007 6:30:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Basil Henriques
Lokahi

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  10:50:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Basil Henriques's Homepage
Thanks for the reply Fran, the "Tiny Url" is one answer, BUT why should it be necessary to do that?, other forums support the [url= code.
It may turn out to be the reason for me leaving.

Constantly having to scroll to read text is more than a pain, it is unacceptable to me.
Not that it's the case with me, but, statistically over 66% of PC users still have 15" monitors, they should be considered as should the accepted norm amongst other forums for code use etc.
already we are a minority interest group, why risk total alienation from the rest of the world ?

Edited by - Basil Henriques on 08/05/2007 09:23:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  02:52:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi guys,

Actually the forum can handle the URL's. If you refer to Creating a Hyperlink in your message in the FAQ, you will see the formatting. Basil, you've nearly got it. You just need quotes around the URL. For example [ url="http://www... blah, blah, blah.html" ] click here [ /url]

When I come across long links, I try to fix them but am glad that you're trying to learn how to do this on your own. In your example, I've fixed the long link.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Basil Henriques
Lokahi

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  05:37:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Basil Henriques's Homepage
quote:
glad that you're trying to learn how to do this on your own

Thanks for the free lesson, one thing, in most other forums the quotes aren't required, so it was not so much trying to learn as trying to figure out the difference from the norm and why !

Edited by - Basil Henriques on 08/05/2007 09:27:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  05:44:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Basil Henriques

Thanks for the free lesson, one thing, in most other forums the quotes aren't required, so it was not so much trying to learn as trying to figure out the difference from the norm and why !
I find a number of other forums I frequent have similar structures to TPs for this, so I guess there are different "norms" based on where you've been.

YMMV, as they say.

Hope that's a small enough thing that it doesn't drive you away, Basil. We're glad to get your perspectives.
Go to Top of Page

Basil Henriques
Lokahi

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  06:01:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Basil Henriques's Homepage
Ostracized and castigated maybe, but NOT driven away, I'll stay with my balderdash, Piffle and vitriolic pen.
Pakile H.

Another present :-
Click Here

Edited by - Basil Henriques on 08/05/2007 09:26:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Basil Henriques
Lokahi

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  11:35:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Basil Henriques's Homepage
Hello admin, whom are thee ?
and Retro thanks for the observation, my experience of forums is limited to just a couple, albeit the most important ones to me, and THEY don't use the (") in the url= structure.?
So I was "Caught on the Hop" so to speak !

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/index.php (6679 members)
http://www.hsga.org/forum/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://michaelmesser.proboards7.com/index.cgi

Edited by - Basil Henriques on 08/05/2007 09:26:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  03:05:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Basil Henriques

Hello admin, whom are thee ?
Admin

Andy
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  05:00:45 AM  Show Profile
I think you should leave poor Piffle out of this. He may feel ostracized.

My workaround is to use the "Mailto" icon. First I type in the word(s) I want to represent the url, then copy/paste the url. Pau!!!

Personally, I find one spinning guitar graphic to be way cool, but five in a column annoying. Kinda like flashing ads. To each his own

dog

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 08/05/2007 05:15:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  08:48:51 AM  Show Profile
I wanna know how fo get one kine spinnin' geetah.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Basil Henriques
Lokahi

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  09:26:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Basil Henriques's Homepage
Mahalo `Ilio Nui, I didn't know about the "Disable signature" button, untill you made me go look..it's done.

Edited by - Basil Henriques on 08/05/2007 09:26:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  08:33:36 AM  Show Profile
Basil,

It really is a cool graphic. And your input on Steel Guitar is spot on. Please stick around.

Me ke aloha,

dog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  09:03:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
http://www.christianguitar.org/forums/images/avatars/spinning_guitar.gif

Not a resonator, and not doing the wide arc, but a spinning guitar.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  09:35:09 AM  Show Profile
Fran - you are too cool! Mahalo.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Basil Henriques
Lokahi

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  11:59:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Basil Henriques's Homepage
quote:
Personally, I find one spinning guitar graphic to be way cool, but five in a column annoying. Kinda like flashing ads. To each his own.
dog

I took on board the very valid comment and went back to my posts and disabled it in all but the initial ones. Is that any better Dave ?

Edited by - Basil Henriques on 08/24/2007 12:00:07 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000