Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Small One
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  09:04:24 AM  Show Profile
We had a small kani at the Kaunoa Senior Center on Monday. Attendance was about 12. I'm working on a couple of song-sheets to pass out the next time to encourage participation. Simple stuff. Pua `Ahihi, Ei Nei, `U`ilani...But I see a small language problem with the Hawaiian lyrics. The first song we were asked to do was Hukilau. Yikes! We'll see how it goes.

Aloha,
da Poi Dog

Edited by - PoiDog on 04/22/2009 10:22:23 AM

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  12:00:12 PM  Show Profile
Oooh, who sings da falsetto on U`ilani? One of my FAVORITE songs. But good for you, Poi Dog, for getting one going. It is bound to grow and expand if you guys are having fun.

I'm proud of you. You said you were going to look into senior centers and you did, you carried it through. I am sure you will receive special blessings for that. And I am sure the kupuna had a swell time.

Ah, but where is the video on You Tube? Auntie wants film at six and eleven, please.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  2:33:07 PM  Show Profile
Well, you can blame my 1st Ex... (She has a way of encouraging that borders on nagging.) I checked with the center a while back. They said they tried, but it wasn't too well attended. I got frustrated because no one seemed interested. Some time went by and we tried again, and for some reason, I think it's gonna go well. Small rejuvenation... No vids (yet)...I don't know how comfortable they all are with the whole idea of video. We'll try to break it in at a relaxed pace. We shall see...

The goal is to get the seniors (hell, I guess that means me too since I'll be @ 60 real soon ) to participate, so it's far from an organized performance with amps and mics...really low key. But we're trying to get everybody to play and everybody to sing.

Oh! I forgot. We're going to kanikapila at our tent at the American Cancer Society Relay for Life on Maui on June 20th. I got a few people lined up. I hope nobody plans on getting any sleep that night! Our team is Hui Anuenue! IMUA HUI ANUENUE!

Aloha,
da Poi Dog

Edited by - PoiDog on 04/23/2009 07:44:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  5:44:39 PM  Show Profile
Poidog,

Where on Maui? We should be there for George Kahumoku's workshop which starts June 21. Maybe we can come see...

Julie
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  09:21:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage
Aloha Poi Dog!

Good job on getting the kanikapila going at the nursing home! We miss Maui so very much. My children used to play twice a month at Hale Makua nursing home in Kahului when lived on Maui. If you have extra energy, I know they would love to have you at Hale Makua too. If so, contact Auntie Theresa. She's the Activities Director there.

My children play at a nursing home on O'ahu now that we live here. Playing traditional Hawaiian music with the seniors is so beautiful! Every time we go, something magical happens.

Mahalo Julie, for pointing out that the kanikapila is the day before Uncle George's workshop, what a great idea! I'd be happy to send Uncle George an email that he can forward to the attendees of his workshop this year.

Poi Dog, please post more info on the American Cancer Society Relay for Life kanikapila so everyone can see where, when, and more about the event.

KANIKAPILA!!! Wooooo Hooooo!

A Hui Hou,

Lanet and the Abrigo Ohana
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  08:15:38 AM  Show Profile
Big oops...The kanikapila we're doing at the American Cancer Society Relay For Life is intended for participants at the walk; since the relay goes until 7:00am, a few of us thought we'd bring our uku's and guitars to pass the time while we're not actually on the track walking. Sorry for the confusion...

Lanet,
Thanks for the info about Hale Makua. I'll call Theresa. Funny bit of trivia. Back in the 1940's and into the early-1950's, on the site where Hale Makua now sits, was a hospital called Malulani Hospital. That happens to be where I was born ............... in the year 19.

Aloha,
da Poi Dog

Edited by - PoiDog on 05/03/2009 08:19:28 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000