Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 north shore to socal
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slackkeymom
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  4:34:14 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, I started playing slack key guitar when I was pregnant. I had been playing guitar for about 12 years and fell in love with slack key when I went to festival in Waimea on the the big island. The guitars were singing like I had never heard before and I wanted to learn to make that kind of music. I never had enough patience to sit down and learn until I was pregnant and wanted my daughter to hear the soothing melodies and rhythmic base notes as the guitar lay on my big belly. I thought it would make by daughter clam and peaceful. I now have a really wild, rough and tough 2 year old girl. She has been coming to watch me play at open mic's on oahu and california. I'm still new to the art form, but trying to get past my fears and share the music.

Kendyl

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  4:52:25 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kendyl

Welcome to the 'Patch. I've seen a couple of your videos on YouTube "You go girl!!!" Wanted to let you know that Lanet Abrigo holds a monthly kanikapila at Pizza Bob's in Haleiwa,isn't that where you're at? Anyway check out the Kanikapila Forum for updates on the next one. Good way to meet other Taropatchers with music as a bonus.

Aloha
Bruddah Duke

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  5:01:41 PM  Show Profile
We have been having fun in SoCal with Kendyl visiting and playing for our weekly Open Mic over the last four weeks.

Kendyl,
You are getting better every week! You should put a grass skirt on your daughter and have her hula for moola !

Come by on Thursday Night at the Ocean House in Carlsbad for our weekly ukulele kanikapila. I'll talk to Pat and have you play during our break. We start at 6PM and end at 9PM. We have loaner ukuleles and music books for visitors. The wahines can teach you to join in the hula.

E Malama Pono,
Kapena Mika

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  02:13:23 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to Taro Patch, Kendyl. I think Auntie must have posted your vids from You Tube a time for two. You attacked a very tough art form -- tough to learn it, but oh so worth the rewards. There is no more beautiful music. I'd be interested if the baby calmed down in utero when she heard the music. I know there are studies of using slack keu guitar music in NICCU's and it calms the preemies down and seems to soothe them.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  11:46:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
E komo mai! Ki ho'alu can touch the heart and soothe the soul. I hope I can hear you play somehow.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000