Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 The "No Planning" Tour
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  09:33:51 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Fran, how many rooms you got in your house anyhow?
Lessee ... guitar room, ribbon room ... where you guys sleeping now?

Looks like the final result is worth it: those lei are spectacular. The Poinciana gets my vote for favorite.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  10:26:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
What big fun last night! I finally made it to a meeting of the Southern California Slack Key Society. These lucky folks get together every week at Kaisen Sushi in Oceanside and play in an open mic format. Last night we heard some "Terrypatch" minor key slack, some "itty bitty wahine" from Mike on his Koaloha D-VI uke, some Tahitian classics from Fred on his vintage Gibson ES-330. Also showing their skills were Rick (slkho) and Bill with his arrangement of Libba Cotten's "Freight Train" moved to Kaua`i and renamed "Sugar Cane Train."

By the end of the evening the house was nearly full, so a bunch of people got exposed to slack key. It's pretty easy to find these folks by Googling or by searching through the archives here at the 'Patch. If you find yourself in the SoCal area you'll have a very enjoyable evening by joining them.

As Lynnie said, what a sweet bunch of people.

Thanks, folks.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  9:09:21 PM  Show Profile
It was so good to see you again Fran, and to hear your beautiful music once more. I'm glad you have been able to come to our end of the state and precipitate the kani on Saturday. You will meet more new friends then.
I do hope Lynn has brought some leis to show us! They are spectacularly gorgeous!
Aloha nui,
nancy

Edited by - Pua Kai on 03/25/2009 9:10:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  05:05:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Well, the "No Planning" tour is coming to a close. Right now we're sitting around cups of coffee and computers doing some "no planning" and trying to decide if we should stop in Paso Robles on the way home or just make a charge for the Bay Area. All our attempts to go wine tasting have gotten sidetracked so far, so we're feeling a little grape deprived, but there's still no place like home ...

The kanikapila at Nancy's on Saturday was just such a treat. A lovely home on a lovely day with lovely weather and a whole bunch of nice folks, plenty of sweet music, lots of tasty eats, what more could anyone want? And what a great way to warm up the fingers for the show that night.

As much as we enjoyed every minute of our trip, and all the people we met along the way, I have to confess that the show was a special high point. We hooked up with Lehua and Chuck and persuaded them to open the show, so after all the times I've opened for Ledward, this time I had a Kaapana open for _me_!!! The audience was swept away by their singing and playing, and me right along with them. I think we made a few new fans for Hawaiian music, so for me the event was a great success.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  07:42:12 AM  Show Profile
Aloha and Mahalo Fran,
I hope to be part of your itinerary again sometime soon! It was truly a treat to hear your nahenahe music and have the fine company of you and Lynn. Any excuse for a kani ka pila, and of course that's always an excuse to eat island and local treats.
Today is another fine day for leisurely holo holo so enjoy!
n
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2009 :  1:57:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Oooops, we decided to get back to the Creek today so we didn't leisurely enough. I met a charming and personable representative of the California Highway Patrol just past where 101 drops down from 70 mph to 65 mph. But we're home ahead of the worst of the commute traffic and already enjoying the reminisce over our trip.

Thanks again, Nancy, next time I'll make sure Lynnie joins us at the kani. She really was needed for the prep back at the Wingert house, though. She has done a few house concerts here and she was able to guide Kathy Wingert through her pre-concert stresses.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Elaine
Akahai

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  8:57:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Elaine's Homepage
Looking forward to seeing you at Judd's Hill Winery on Sunday!

Elaine
http://fleajumpers.wordpress.com
http://winecountryukefest.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  05:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Thanks, Elaine. I'm not doing a very good job of publicizing my performances, am I?

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page