Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Help! Need Artist's name of song!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cdeharte
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  08:00:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw this clip on YOU TUBE and the background music is awesome. The poster didn't identify the artist's who sings it (out of respect they should have). Can anybody recognize the name/song/album of this tune at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VzZLkKPhzY&feature=related

It's a beautiful song and I suspect it is a Slack Key piece by one of the island artists.

Thanks in advance! !!

Best,
Harte

p.s. You can e-mail me as well at rtistkogg @ yahoo.com

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  3:50:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, of course it's a nice tune/progression. And, with the video of Power-Hang gliding over Hana, I see how it could be addictive!

Appears to be a nice, but basic progression with traditional slack melody elements...and while it could be a more famous tune...I just don't recognize it at first listen, and without a vocal or words, I can't say..,but appreciate the interest, it's simple stuff like this, that caught my attention in 2003 (well, along with IZ and others!) and got me jumping into the musical volcano.

So, I suspect it's an improvised 'generic', slack-key tune. Sounds to be in F taropatch... open G but lowered, cause it's slack key, in key of F, and idioms sound like what we play in G taropatch.
But let someone else 'chime' in! And if you go to George's or Keola's slack key camps, you will learn some of this, and be able to add your thoughts, "chime after chime".

Oh, "If you knew Taropatch, like I know Taropatch"...
Of course, I wish I had the nerve to power-glide over Hana...there could be a new tune in it!

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 10/06/2011 3:55:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

cdeharte
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  07:50:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input KK! Much appreciated. I'll keep on my search and hope that I can locate the artist so I can add this lovely piece to my collection of music. As for your nerve to go gliding over Hana....DO IT! It's an adventure you'll never forget! Again, thank you for your timely reply.
Go to Top of Page

garson
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2011 :  11:52:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit garson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How many people think that this track is overdubbed with a second line?

Jim Garson
Go to Top of Page

ah.clem
Aloha

15 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  6:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will certainly defer to someone more knowledgeable, but I hear 2 instruments, a traditional slack key player in the right ear, and another guitar playing a chordal accompaniment in the left. I can't tell if it's the same instrument double-tracked as the slack key guitar has more volume and my inexpensive Sony headphones aren't "top o' the line" by any means. To me, the timbre is similar right to left, but the chordal side sounds like a "pick attack", not a fingernail strum (uke style). Just my humble opinion after a few listens. And again, I will certainly defer to someone with younger ears (and better cans) than I have.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2154 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2011 :  07:48:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two guitars and a ukulele.
Go to Top of Page

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2011 :  5:14:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a slack-key question . . . but . . . anyone know the name of the landmark pictured at 1:49 - 1:53 in this video?

Don
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2011 :  5:28:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting hole- don't know the name, but we have a lot of those in the Kohalas, none named as far as I know. The back of the Muliwai, between Waipi'o and Waimanu valleys, is riddled like swiss cheese with those things, from a few feet to a hundred feet wide and seemingly bottomless= often hidden in vegetation, making walking in that area dangerous. I've never heard a satisfying explanation as to how they were formed.

On another side track, what exactly is the difference between a "powered hang glider" and an ultralight?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000