Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Steel Guitar
 Aloha Dream back issues and Tablature
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Basil Henriques
Lokahi

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2013 :  04:57:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Basil Henriques's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Back copies of Aloha Dream are now available in downloadable pdf format, either singly or by the year or the complete set up-to-date.
Individually $2:00, Yearly (or any four issues) $5 or the whole enchilada $65

Download the pdf of all the covers and page 2 indexes to see and choose..
Each issue has tablature and the tab index of tunes/keys/tunings is on page 107-108.

MASTER Index Click HERE

Payment via PayPal to pathenrick @ hotmail.com and include your desired order..

Edited by - Basil Henriques on 08/26/2016 06:50:46 AM

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2013 :  06:15:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really encourage steelers and those interested in the history of steel guitar, Hawaii and elsewhere, to look into this.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Basil Henriques
Lokahi

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2013 :  04:28:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Basil Henriques's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mahalo my friend, we need more subscribers if we are to survive a second ten year term..
I've mistakenly posted Steel tab in the slack key section. Just going there to move it..

Edited by - Basil Henriques on 08/22/2013 04:39:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

Basil Henriques
Lokahi

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2013 :  04:31:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Basil Henriques's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I do NOT normally give away current articles and tab from the magazine.. BUT, needs must and I feel sure the present subscribers won't object to me trying to generate support..
Anyone interested as to why I put a 1# in the tab on the last two beats of bar 8.. Nobody curious enough to ask ?
Well here is the preamble and the tab from the latest Issue of Aloha Dream..

Some of what I've written is bound to be controversial, but then again, that's me..

Go to Top of Page

Basil Henriques
Lokahi

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2013 :  04:37:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Basil Henriques's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Purely for "Educational Purposes" here is the version I tabbed, beware of the triple octave 'A' harmonic. (bar 51 in the tab)
Click Here

And the original played by the composer..
Click Here

(that's where I got the 1# from..)

BEWARE, these Jules Keliikuihonua Ah See See tabs can be addictive and tricky, (Sand and The girl in the Yellow Holoku are in past issues of Aloha Dream, also as this is, note for note transcriptions)

Edited by - Basil Henriques on 09/17/2013 1:25:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Basil Henriques
Lokahi

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2013 :  04:40:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Basil Henriques's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It always seemed to me that Jules was a consummate musician and was really enjoyed playing with the Hawaii Calls group. His jazz feel and his improvisations leave me with no doubt that he was not just a steel player but had a sound knowledge of musical theory. (Something sadly lacking in the "Fly by Wire" and "Tab orientated" present crop..)
He invented his licks, and any ones that he copied, he improved upon the source somewhat. Which in my opinion is the way to go..
It is no coincidence that two of the best solos by Jules were originally Andy Iona tunes. He DID improve on the original composer's version in a non derogatory sense. He just smoothed out the wrinkles of the late thirties interpretive style, and also improved on the general structure technically.

My version of the tune tips my hat to both Jules and Andy as I use Jules' harmonics and Andy's Bb cord at bar 7 and a half..
Click here
It is VERY difficult to take an original composer's tune/song and improve it, Jules did without question treat the original with respect.

With regard to the origins of the JB intro, it would seem to be heavily influenced by the intro and other sections of THIS

Billy Hew Len's version is very much in the slot of the original composer's intent. He omits the harmonics probably because of his left hand, this would present difficulty with the open string harmonic section, not having a 'pinkie' to stop the open strings at frets 12, 7 and 5..

Jules Keliikuihonua Ah See's version was recorded as a single, from a session for Capitol records on July 17th and 18th 1954.
F 2908

Although the label states "Ben Kalama's Islanders", it's basically the Hawaii Calls ensemble.

The other tracks on that session were:-
12861 My Island
12862 Love Song of Kalua
12863 Lovely hula hands
12864 Across the sea
12865 How'd ya do
12866 Kamalani o Keaukaha (inissued)

NOTE the spelling on the single is the same as Andy Iona's, BUT the Capitol “Waikîkî ” T772 uses the "How D'ya Do" spelling on the sleeve BUT the correct spelling on the record label ?

Conjecture about the intended meaning of the title would be alleviated if SOMEONE could post a picture of the sheet music with words..Until then we can speculate as to is it a contraction of How DID ya do, How WOULD ya do, or just poetic licence ?
Of course that's disregarding the fact that it MAYBE an original typo and the intent was How Do Ya Do.

Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2013 :  06:08:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re Jerry's intro: it owes a large debt to Django's "Nuages".

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Basil Henriques
Lokahi

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2013 :  07:15:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Basil Henriques's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

Re Jerry's intro: it owes a large debt to Django's "Nuages".

AND it would seem to be also heavily influenced by the intro and other sections of this Andy Iona classic THIS

Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2014 :  08:54:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Bas! Definitely Djangoesque guitar and feel.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Tele295
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2016 :  3:23:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tele295's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been working out a lot of Django tunes for steel. They sound great over a traditional Manouche "Pompe" rhythm
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2016 :  12:09:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tele295

I've been working out a lot of Django tunes for steel. They sound great over a traditional Manouche "Pompe" rhythm

"Nuages" is a natural for steel guitar, btw.

keaka
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000