Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 No more holoholo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  06:38:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been walking around our neighborhood, enjoying the network of paths and trails that follow the streams in the area. When I took a new route the other day I was surprised to find an old truck chassis alongside the creek, wood spoked wheels decaying and a tree growing up between the frame rails.

Now I don't know what you think of when you find an old abandoned vehicle, but I immediately began humming "Holoholo Ka`a" and thinking about how I would frame a video.

It took a while to come up with a reasonable arrangement of the song, then few more days of test shots and failed attempts, but with a little persistence I put together this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWs0l7959bo

No motor, busted wheels, no radiator, no steering - this ka`a will holoholo no more.

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  09:40:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice Brah!

Lee
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1005 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  12:37:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the reasons I keep reading this stuff is because Fran keeps making it fun. Good story and tune.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  5:16:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice, dat!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  06:44:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, folks, you're very kind. I've been poring over the chassis trying to find some kind of ID but no luck. I was interested to note the safety wire http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_wire on the differential cap bolts. That's another indication to me that this was some kind of commercial vehicle.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  07:29:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yo Fran,
Great job! Iʻm trying to remember and it shouldnʻt be that hard, because you guys were just here about a month ago. But didnʻt we do Holoholo with Led at Wayneʻs and it kinda went on forever? PM
Go to Top of Page

TerryLiberty
Lokahi

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  09:59:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit TerryLiberty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fran:

Safety wire was used on military vehicles as well over the years. Good luck in your search!

Terry

Olympia, WA
Forever a haumana
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2013 :  06:20:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Medeiros

Yo Fran,
Great job! Iʻm trying to remember and it shouldnʻt be that hard, because you guys were just here about a month ago. But didnʻt we do Holoholo with Led at Wayneʻs and it kinda went on forever? PM

I'm like you, Peter, should remember but no can <grin>. It's safe to say that whatever we _did_ play, it kinda went on forever, and then on to the next one!

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2013 :  06:25:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TerryLiberty

Fran:

Safety wire was used on military vehicles as well over the years. Good luck in your search!

I've been scouring the internet to see if anyone has any pictures of this chassis, or any stories about it. No hits so far, though. Surely I'm not the first person to notice it, and with the sapling growing up through the rails it has clearly been in this location for some years.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Ambrosius
Lokahi

132 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2013 :  12:10:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I've been scouring the internet to see if anyone has any pictures of this chassis, or any stories about it. No hits so far, though. Surely I'm not the first person to notice it, and with the sapling growing up through the rails it has clearly been in this location for some years.

Hi Fran.

You've been giving me so much in music, maybe I can return something in mechanical engineering .

Safety wires and nuts and bolts. There has always been a need to secure them on running abd vibrating machinery. This was pre-securing by chemical means like Nyloc nuts and Loctite glue etc. so wire was widely applied. Still in use today on important applications like underwater and in the air.

It is a very old chassis. Look at the wheels. They have wooden spokes into a steel hub. That indicates it's a pre 1920.

Why don't you take some stills, post them on the net. I guess there must be a forum or something for historic cars. If you can find the brand, you may find the original owner. Car was rare at that time. Someones pride this once. A car was something back then.
Go to Top of Page

ukrazy
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2013 :  11:21:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice video Fran. My guess is that the truck was taken out there and re-purposed as a saw mill. Here in Arizona mining country, old trucks were used to power water pumps. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockypix/158672016/
Go to Top of Page

Crackseedslackkey
Akahai

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2013 :  8:38:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Crackseedslackkey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Fran, just saw this video, very cool and great quality too~ always good to hear you play
Chris
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  03:08:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that was terrific, Fran! Perfect place for Holoholo Ka'a!
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  08:16:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ambrosius
...Safety wires and nuts and bolts. There has always been a need to secure them on running abd vibrating machinery. This was pre-securing by chemical means like Nyloc nuts and Loctite glue etc. so wire was widely applied. Still in use today on important applications like underwater and in the air.

It is a very old chassis. Look at the wheels. They have wooden spokes into a steel hub. That indicates it's a pre 1920.

Yep, I've been a car nut since I was 10 and back in those days safety wire was a big part of the prep for competition.

I did a quick search and it appears that wood spokes were still in use well into the 20s, the latest I found was a 1927 Reo.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  08:19:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ukrazy

Nice video Fran. My guess is that the truck was taken out there and re-purposed as a saw mill. Here in Arizona mining country, old trucks were used to power water pumps. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockypix/158672016/

Hey, interesting idea. It's actually situated at a deep part of the stream and the bank there has been reinforced. I had thought the construction was recent, to keep the stream open for flood control, but this could certainly have been the origin of an irrigation system back when this neighborhood was mostly truck farms.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  08:20:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crackseedslackkey

Hey Fran, just saw this video, very cool and great quality too~ always good to hear you play
Chris

Hey, Chris, how's it going? You and John staying busy? I just got your promo for your show coming up.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page