Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 "How'd Ya Do"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  12:53:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I listened to "How'd Ya Do" on the way to visit a customer yesterday. It's a very cool jazzy/Hawaiian sounding number and I really liked it.

Does anyone know the chord progressions and willing to share?
Is it standard or slack tuning?
And, did Gabby play steel or guitar?

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 06/30/2010 12:54:15 PM

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  1:19:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, sorry for the quick draw. No need to help with the chords right now. I think I can work it out. If not, I may be back asking again. LOL

Outside of not needing the chord progressions right now, I would still would like to know what instrument Gabby played, and tuning.

Thanks

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 06/30/2010 1:26:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  1:25:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gabby on steel Atta Isaacs on guitar open C tuning or something like that.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 06/30/2010 1:28:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  04:02:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The steel is in a 6th tuning and the progression uses "back-cycling". I figured it out in Taropatch, but it lays good for Gabby C.
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  06:08:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

... progression uses "back-cycling". ...

What does that mean?
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  07:30:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"How'd Ya Do" was written by Andy Iona. Jerry Byrd recorded it, and I've heard Alan Akaka and the Islanders do it, complete with words. It is a Hawaiian steel guitar "standard", usually in the key of A in the B11 tuning, which Jerry tabbed in his instruction book. Gabby and Atta (and maybe only Gabby overdubbing in the studio) play it in C, with a high G on the steel on "The Gabby Pahinui Hawaiian Band V2" record, with the guitar in some C tuning, probably either Atta's or Gabby's. To get the total effect out of the tune on the steel, it needs to be in the keys noted above. I can help with the chords, if you wish. Anybody on Oahu can call Alan, or see him on the 4th at the Steel Guitar show in Waikiki, at the bandstand or the shell by the zoo. Alan says Andy Iona used it as his opening number for many years.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  07:47:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you were listening to the Gabby Band, vol. 2 album, that's Gabby on steel with Atta on guitar. Atta also played it behind Jerry Byrd's steel on "Steel Guitar Hawaiian Style," and there's a snazzy guitar version on "Atta Slack Key Guitar" with Atta backed by Albert Ka`ailau or Harold Haku`ole. (I suspect the former, though I can't recall why.)
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  2:14:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info and clues. I am going to look into back cycling. I imagine that could be the circle of 5ths cycling backwards.
My classical teacher "tried" to enlighten me with that just last semester but I did little with it.
I have been working on taropatch this summer anyway so I thought I would try something non typical in G, But I might look into Atta C or Gabbys C. I like Atta's C tuning.
Slipry1: hey, if I get stuck I may call on you.

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 07/01/2010 2:16:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  3:15:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is one of those pieces where it helps to know that the tuning is a steel tuning. Use the C major 9 tuning (CGEGBD). Once you know the tuning it becomes very easy to play this song. The song form is AABA with a modulation. It sounds like this arrangement is in F in the A section and then moves to Eb and Bb then back to F in the B section. When the steel solo comes in the arrangement moves to Bb. The primary chord form in this tuning is the barre -- a major 9th. Using a straight barre (all strings) or open position, the 9th is on the 1st string and the root is on the 6th string.

Like the steel, on acoustic guitar the chord forms used are mostly barres, a couple of inside slants and the same major chord forms you would use in G tuning on strings 1-4 (compensate string 4 by two frets) in particular the F major chord. In this chord form the root is on the fourth string and first string. To make this chord barre strings 1 thru 4 at the first fret with the index finger. Next place the middle finger on string 3 fret two. Finally, place the pinky on string 1 at the third fret. Except for the fingering on string four, this is the same chord form you would find in G tuning.

Like a steel player, in this tuning you can easily create passing chords they are not that difficult to hold. Try your hand at passing chords by moving this chord or any chord form up or down by increments of one fret.

To get you guys up and running with this tuning start with the A section. Once you learn this section, the rest of the song should be easy. In other words, you guys will have to figure out the B section on your own. It modulates to Eb then Bb. Start the A section by using a three string barre (strings 1,2 &3) and hammering on the 3rd string (G) to the Bb at the third fret -- using the index finger. Now with the ring finger try the barre at fret five, pluck strings 2 and 3. Now use passing tones with a barre at fret four then fret three using the same strings. Seempo no?

Edited by - Peter Medeiros on 07/02/2010 2:18:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  04:20:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw Ocean do it at Honey's a few years back, mo' easy dan taropatch tuning! Mahalo, Peter!
BTW, backcycling refers to using the 5minor of the chord you should be playing-- thus for G7, use Dm then go to G7. For C7, use Gm then C7.
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  05:36:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

I saw Ocean do it at Honey's a few years back, mo' easy dan taropatch tuning! Mahalo, Peter!
BTW, backcycling refers to using the 5minor of the chord you should be playing-- thus for G7, use Dm then go to G7. For C7, use Gm then C7.

like ii-V7-I. Cool.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  07:09:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good advice, all! Because of the way you play the tune on the steel, and Gabby's tendancy to play in C, do you think, Peter, that maybe Gabby was tuned down to Bb? And Shawn, one of my jazz buddies said "Jazz - it's just IIm7-V-I and you change keys!". Gabby had several steels over his lifetime. Henry Allen told me that, when Gabby played steel for Andy Iona, he played a Rickenbacher, and the pictures along with the Gabby Pahinui Hawaiian Band LP show a blond single 8 Fender Stringmaster, which Cyril says is out at his dad's house. I have seen a video taken in Waimanolo where Gabby is playing a brown 8 string Stringmaster as well.

Jerry Byrd plays How'd Ya Do in A, which you can tell from the outro, where he plays natural harmonics. He does change keys for Atta to play it, but Ive never paid attention to what key. The B11 tuning has an A6 on the top 4 strings (F# A C# E, low to high) and a B7 on the bottom (B F# B C# F# A) on an 8 string steel. For a 6 string, you leave off the low B and F#. It's a wonderful tuning to play in - big, fat rich chords and jazzy voicings - and I play Mapuana, Paradise Found (aka Hana), Sand, How'd Ya Do, Lady be Good, In A Hula Heaven (catch Alan Akaka doing it on Hawaiian Steel, V2") on my B11 neck, and I keep my 6 string resonator guitar in B11.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  08:05:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jack and Kory,
The instruments were dropped down a whole step from C to Bb at the Puako sessions on the Big Island. Pops vocal range had changed quite a bit by the time he was recording with Panini Records. It was still quite broad but he wasn't carrying the high falsetto parts that he was doing earlier in his career. Some well known musicians said he was past his prime at this point of his life. But I think he got better with age because he adapted to the change in his voice by just changing keys and was able to keep on doing what he was doing because he loved it. He used to borrow my Martin D12-20 for the Kanikapila concerts at UH in the 70's. It would always come back with a thank you and apology because there would always be one or more nick or scratch on it each time he used it.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2010 :  09:40:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again, mahalo nui to you, Peter!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

bobby3dog
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2010 :  06:37:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everybody,
I would like to get back to haoleboy's original request. I have struggled with this tune for a long time but my limited knowledge of music theory has held me back. I don't have any trouble improvising once I know the chords but so far I have not had the opportunity to have someone share the chords to this one with me. If one of you guys would be willing to just list them in the order they're played, I would be so grateful and I suspect others would be as well. A simple version of the tune is fine and I don't care which key because transposing is the easy part. Again, it has just been hard to hear the changes.
Thank you and Aloha.
Allan (b3d)

b3d
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  01:26:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If someone is generous enough to share the chords for the song please do, no need to hold back for me anymore. I got plenty to do. My goal this summer is to learn about chord progressions in taropatch tuning anyway and that's still going to happen either way.
I have already learned something.
Mahalo to all

Bob
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000