Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Records to iPod
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2013 :  09:05:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anybody know how to get records and tapes onto a computer and into an iPod?

Karl
Frozen North

Ben
Lokahi

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2013 :  10:56:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl -
It's been a while, so I'm fuzzy on some of the details. I bought an Ion turntable for $99 at the time. It connects to the computer via USB port. I think the software I bought to deal with the audio input was called something like "Plus!". I don't remember how I got the tape deck audio in, but it wasn't hard. Your software will probably not save your audio as .mp3. Someone else may know how to do a mass conversion from .wav (or other) to .mp3; I've only done one song at a time, which was good enough for the small volume I had. Once you've loaded your songs into iTunes, search the internet for "convert wav to mp3". It will give you step-by-step instructions for creating a copy that will play on your iPod. Good luck!

BTW - The software lets you separate the audio stream into individual tracks, control gain, filter out noise (hiss & pops), name your tracks, and so on.

Mālama pono
Ben

Edited by - Ben on 10/03/2013 10:59:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2013 :  11:01:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used a device called an Inport Delux, made by Xitel to translate cassette tapes to mp3. Connects to the output from your tape player or turn turntable with standard audio out cables. It came with software to allow some editting on the converted files. This was necessary for some of my old cassettes. I had to listen to the converted files and split the tracks in some cases. I thought it worked pretty well. I think it was about $80 at the time. It's been a couple of years, so there may be something newer out there.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2013 :  3:59:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have both a turntable & a cassette player with USB connections; they aren't hard to find, nor are they costly. Many of these devices come with the free software program called Audacity; you can download the latest version from the web. It does most of the things that you are likely to want to do, including saving files as .wav or .mp3.

For a slightly fancier program with a very small cost ($50 for a lifetime license), look into Goldwave. Does a few more things, great transcoding conversion program (for converting files from one kind to another).
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2013 :  4:40:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Karl - Keep this in mind:

1) You have to digitize the recordings (takes time).

2) You have to break it into cuts and name them (takes more time).

3) You will probably want to clean up some of the pops and clicks and other noises before making them into MP3 (can take loads of time).

Is is far cheaper and wastes a lot less of your time to just buy CD's to replace any commercial vinyl or tapes rather than digitize them yourself AND you will generally get better quality on the CD that anything you transfer yourself.

(Of course, if you have lots and lots of spare time up there in the frozen north and you value you time at less than $1 per hour, then go for it! ) If the recordings are out-of-print or one of a kind then you do not have much choice.

I have about 300 vinyl records that I am in the process of replacing with CDs. Problem now is that even the CDs are going out of print.

MP3 (even at Max Rate) is too crappy for me so I will never download cuts or albums of MP3 for my personal collection (plus I like to have the physical artwork/booklets etc). And it is very easy to rip CDs and make perfect MP3 files with automatic naming from CDDB, etc.

Just stuff to keep in mind...

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 10/04/2013 4:47:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2013 :  6:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence

MP3 (even at Max Rate) is too crappy for me so I will never download cuts or albums of MP3 for my personal collection (plus I like to have the physical artwork/booklets etc). And it is very easy to rip CDs and make perfect MP3 files with automatic naming from CDDB, etc.

+1
The only reasons I use .mp3 files are:
(a) to put on a portable player, BUT I have the originals as lossless .wav files OR as physical discs, and
(b) to transfer audio files for a project being worked on by several people, if the sonic quality is not at a critical listening step.

.mp3 files are a necessary evil in our biz - convenient for some steps, but too easy for folks who don't care so much about audio quality to accept, due to their convenience.
Go to Top of Page

Ambrosius
Lokahi

132 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  05:07:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karl Monetti

Anybody know how to get records and tapes onto a computer and into an iPod?

In my opinion, the most versatile software to use for this is Audacity, and it's open source and free. Just go with mini-jacks to your in-line and you can record whatever you like and convert to whatever you like.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  06:44:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence

+1
The only reasons I use .mp3 files are:
(a) to put on a portable player, BUT I have the originals as lossless .wav files OR as physical discs, and
(b) to transfer audio files for a project being worked on by several people, if the sonic quality is not at a critical listening step.

.mp3 files are a necessary evil in our biz - convenient for some steps, but too easy for folks who don't care so much about audio quality to accept, due to their convenience.

++1

I will admit to using mp3 files for playback in my car (which has a CD/mp3 player). The lousy acoustic environment of a car (even a top-of-the-line Mercedes or Rolls - unless the engine is turned off and you are sitting BETWEEN the two front seats ) masks the mp3 quality loss.

That being said, many people I know, even some professional musicians, do 90-100% of their listening in a car, which I view as a sad sad tragedy.

...I apologize for the slight diversion.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 10/06/2013 06:46:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2013 :  07:36:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help, I'll start with Ambrosius' freebie idea first....

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000