Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 In Waikiki April 13-18
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2015 :  08:19:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will be at a business conference in Waikiki these dates (mostly TH-SAT). My wife is tagging along too. We are staying on the zoo end of "the strip" and won't have a car. Is there any place relatively nearby to hear slack-key or good Hawaiian music? I know the focus for live music in Waikiki will be tourists, but I'd rather hear the real deal. We usually don't spend much time on Oahu during our trips to the islands, so we don't know the area well.

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2015 :  11:15:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thursday nights there's the Keawe Ohana (Auntie Genoa's Ohana) playing at the Marriot which is like 2 or 3 blocks from the Honolulu Zoo. No slack key but a lot of Hawaiian & Hapa-Haole music. All kinds of guest usually drop in & many dance hula too. You will just miss the slack key because George Kuo, Martin Pahinui & Aaron Mahi play the Marriot on "Slack Key Sundays"

Another great option is walk about a half mile East to the Waikiki Police Substation on Kalakaua Ave. Every Thursday & Sunday nights about 10-15 people gather for a kanikapila behind the substation towards the beach. Everyone is welcomed to sit in. To be truthful, I prefer the kanikapila than the "Keawe Ohana" show because they play too much Hapa-Haole for my taste & at the kanikapila you can participate!!! Both start around 6pm
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2015 :  1:16:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mahalos, Duke. I know where all those things are. We arrive about 8:20 pm on Sunday. By the time we get from the airport and checked into our room it will likely be 10 pm or later, so we'll miss the Sunday slack-key events. I should have mentioned we are staying at the Queen Kapiolani Hotel, right across the street from the zoo. The conference is actually at the Hyatt, but we prefer the Queen K. So I will be walking past all of those locations every day anyway. We plan one dinner at the Oceanarium since we won't be diving this trip. Maybe take some half-day excursion boat for snorkeling or a guided driving tour. The wife will have more time than me, especially come Thursday when the conference starts.

I would ask about local music stores, but we have too many guitars and ukulele, so there is no need to shop for those. We might hit the Ala Moana Sears for some "big & tall" hula shirts..... I still don't have the "Magnum PI" pattern in my collection.

I plan to bring along a ukulele and my wife will bring her flute. Kanikapila on the beach will be great fun! If we cannot find one, we'll start one.

Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2015 :  6:53:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Auwe, Earl! The Sears at Ala Moana is long gone. For inexpensive Aloha shirts, I'd recommend the Ross on Keeaumoku St. or Don Quixote on Kaheka - both not far from Ala Moana.

Edited by - Momi on 02/11/2015 6:54:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

ukrazy
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2015 :  11:51:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Earl, You'll be just down the street from Bailey's Antiques And Aloha Shirts.517 Kapahulu. About 10 min. from your hotel. Very near Rainbow Drive-In. We load up on shirts, then head over for Saimin.
Go to Top of Page

ukrazy
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2015 :  12:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For a step back in time a couple of decades, seek out the Royal Grove Hotel on Uluniu. Don't know which night, but they have some "Old Style" music and hula in the lobby/pool area.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2015 :  2:00:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks all. I will continue to monitor this thread right up until time to leave, then I will print out all the wonderful suggestions.
Go to Top of Page

ukrazy
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2015 :  7:11:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For a one night out, take your wife to the House Without A Key at the Halekulani. Good music and hula right on the ocean.A little on the pricy side, but worth it. Guaranteed to be memorable.
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2015 :  1:01:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Earl

There's also the Kani Ka Pila Grille on Kalia Road next Fort DeRussy & the Hale Koa Hotel. They have Hawaiian music there nightly. Below is an example of who is playing there in February.

Sunday...............Nathan Aweau
Monday...............Shawn Na'auao
Tuesday..............Weldon Kekauoha
Wednesday............Cyril Pahinui w/ Peter Moon & Jeff Au Hoy
Thursday.............Kawika Kahiapo
Friday...............Ho'kena
Saturday.............Ka Hena

You can catch some slack key with Cyril (Heard Peter Moon is also playing some ki ho'alu now too) Kawika Kahiapo too. Then there's Glen Smith with Ho'okena.

It's a good sized walk from the zoo but you can always hop on the bus for $2.50

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2015 :  07:11:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Eh, Duke! Great info.

We plan to get a bus pass anyway for the week (or month) since a car is not a viable option in Waikiki. Years ago, I actually worked on the design of the Hale Koa Hotel. I will make it a point to see Uncle Cyril again, so the suggestion is appreciated.

Since the conference I'm speaking at will be at the Hyatt, we will be halfway to Hale Koa anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  08:19:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sirduke58

...Another great option is walk about a half mile East to the Waikiki Police Substation on Kalakaua Ave. Every Thursday & Sunday nights about 10-15 people gather for a kanikapila behind the substation towards the beach. Everyone is welcomed to sit in. To be truthful, I prefer the kanikapila than the "Keawe Ohana" show because they play too much Hapa-Haole for my taste & at the kanikapila you can participate!!! Both start around 6pm

The kanikapila is now starting at 8PM. We went there at 6PM, nothing. By chance we walked by later, and it was going strong. Facebook is
kanikapila at da racks
Nice folks, hula dancers too.

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  3:01:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be sitting in with the Keawe Ohana at the Moana Terrace when I'm on Oahu 4/14-5/14. Then, there's Led Kaapana at the Kona Brewery in Hawaii Kai Sundays 6-9 and at Honey's at the Ko'olau golf course 1 or 2 Saturdays/month and Ramon Camarillo at Nicko's on Pier 38 Friday's 11-2 afternoons. Also, the Ko'olau Serenaders at Honey's first Saturday. The Abrigo Ohana plays at The Willows a couple of times/month, too. It's too bad you won't be around at the end of the month for the Hawaiian Steel guitar Association convention at the Queen Kapiolani hotel and at Lei Day on May 1. Gabbyfest will be at the Waimanalo beach park on April 25, also.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2015 :  2:02:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's fast approaching - by this time next week we will be airborne to HNL. I really appreciate all the responses so far, and they should keep us plenty busy. (We are not quite the frisky pups that we used to be). My presentation is not until Saturday noontime, so we have a fairly wide open week until then. Mahalo nui loa everyone!
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2015 :  10:26:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The week on Oahu has come and gone now. We got to see two different acts at the Kani Kapila Grille (Shawn Na'auao and Uncle Cyril with Peter Moon - both awesome shows supplemented with great hula dancers). We went to the kani behind the police station on Thursday night, and generally had a great time eating, snorkeling and jamming. Plus that work thing at the conference too. I also picked up some nice hula shirts at Bailey's and we ate at the Rainbow Café next door. At the hotel there was a band playing on Saturday night and when the singer noticed me singing along with all the songs, she invited me up to help sing along and strum her uke. Very cool!

Mahalo nui loa for all of the great suggestions. They panned out perfectly. We came home late last night very tired and very fulfilled.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2015 :  10:55:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Cool! Sounds like you caught great music and had a great trip.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

salmonella
Lokahi

240 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2015 :  5:21:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Earl
Kind of off topic, but we're you at PSGW a few years ago when slack key was offered?
Dave
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000