Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Is Spotify Cheating The Artist?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2015 :  08:27:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha, everyone! I am asking whether I would be taking unfair advantage of artists by listening to their music on Spotify. Googling this question got me equivocal results, so I am asking here whether anyone knows the answer. I haven't posted here in a while so my best wishes to all with whom I have been out of touch. Malama pono and thanks for any help with my question.

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2015 :  05:51:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't recall which forum but recently saw posts about this. A person was co-writing a song with Ringo Starr. The gist was, "Back in the day if you co-wrote a song with a Beatle you'd presume some healthy residual payments but with Spotify you can expect about $.000019 per 'hit'..."
I may not have the % recalled correctly but it was an equally ridiculous % that'd require millions of hits to get $10-20. Modern folks' desire and comfort with cheap/free music downloads have cut the heart out of songwriters' ability to earn a living as [for some at least] was possible in the past. My perception is the bulk of songwriters these days earn their "living" by touring and CD sales at the gig, or with a "day job".
I'd encourage you to do more research and not just take my word for this, Mark.

Edited by - basilking on 05/04/2015 05:52:14 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000