Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Steel Guitar
 advice for a beginner?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jkwasnik
Aloha

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2016 :  07:48:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit jkwasnik's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello, everybody --
I am buying a used 6-string electric lap steel. I've only ever played bottleneck in open-D & open-G, and I'm fairly comfortable with taro patch slack key. Should I stick to the familiar, or start with C6 tuning?

Thanks in advance,

John Kwasnik
Sacramento, CA

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2152 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2016 :  05:19:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome! I learned "high bass" or "Dobro" G (GBDGBD-low to high), first, and learned bar control. Later, I put my Dobro into C6, (CEGACE, low to high) to learn Hawaiian style. It's a great adventure!
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2016 :  5:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been playing steel guitar for many years. I recommend tuning to the high G dobro tuning at first, from the bottom, G B D G B D as it will be most familiar. Most of my fellow Hawaiian steelers use some form of a "6th" tuning. Konabob Stoffer uses a G6 D B D G A D, I believe. I use a C6, from the bottom, C E G A C E. This tuning is very flexible, and adapts well to Hawaiian meles. Check out The Steel Guitar Forum - http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/index.php, especially the "Steel Without Pedals" page. It's always informative and often entertaining. Where do you live? I give lessons in Seattle. You should also join the Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association (ia Facebook is easiest). We're having our convention in Ft. Collins, CO Sept 22-25, if you lie close to there.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

silverface
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  6:51:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been playing Dobro for years, plus some C6 lap steel. Never looked at a lesson or tab in C6 it's so simple to play by ear.

But if you get Stacy Phillips very good "Hawaiian Steel Guitar" book, about 90% of it is done in Dobro G tuning! So that would be really easy for you to work with. I'm going through it as I have never learned any traditional tunes, just played improvised stuff with family members since I was a kid (some may have been traditional - I just was never aware of the sometimes-variable titles, plus so many players go their own route stylistically sometimes the original tune is not easily recognizable to a "newbie").

Ether one works great and is easy. If you want a real challenge, try B11 - I'm working on it on 8-string and it's REALLY different!

No Chops but Great Tone!
Go to Top of Page

jkwasnik
Aloha

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2017 :  09:33:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit jkwasnik's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: I settled on a Morrell Pro 6-string, found a local instructor (!), and have been getting to know C6. Next string change, I want to try the high-G C6 = EGACEG per the suggestion of Joel Katz, who teaches at U of H Maui. It would be nice to have the 5 on top without having to jump up 3 frets.

John Kwasnik
Sacramento, CA
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  11:44:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkwasnik

Update: I settled on a Morrell Pro 6-string, found a local instructor (!), and have been getting to know C6. Next string change, I want to try the high-G C6 = EGACEG per the suggestion of Joel Katz, who teaches at U of H Maui. It would be nice to have the 5 on top without having to jump up 3 frets.

I use a high G C6 tuning on my 8 string steels (includes Dobros) for bout 10 years - from bottom, G Bb E G A C E G. I love it! Try Joel's tuning first. If you can find it, get Jerry Byrd's Steel Guitar book. It goes through a whole bunch of tunings

keaka
Go to Top of Page

jkwasnik
Aloha

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2017 :  07:29:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit jkwasnik's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To try it without re-stringing, I'm experimenting with A6 = C# E F# A C# E ... tuning both C strings up a half step, and the G down, with the A and E's as is. And I'm finding it nice to have that 5 on top (being very familiar with taro patch on my Martin).

John Kwasnik
Sacramento, CA
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000