Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Vocal styles, training, and "finding your voice">
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
`Olu`olu

USA
942 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  07:59:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for the suggestion box, If Taropatch does decide to reformat, May I suggest a category for Vocals discussion?

After years of backing up thousands of singers, (some great, some not)...I gradually began to sing more and more, "Why not".

Because I started late, singing is NOT second nature ( while playing fiddle/violin often is)

so I finally found a great "non-classical" vocal coach. Dr. Scott Martin, just down the road in Lakewood, Colorado.

His credentials include working with John Denver, Kenny Loggins, and many others.
While now he's mostly a favorite with Church groups,
while for me. not so much, I'll take the forest, mountains, and music for my spirit renewal.

So I'll just tackle all tunes and singers imaginable, and we just laugh and do the wide range of stuff I still tackle.
My range expanded in the first lesson, and my exploration of how to sing continues...
Scott's great at analyzing and showing how to shape your vocal style and choice of coloring, expanding your range and controlling your voice "mo betta", for different artists, styles and songs with different breathing, phrasing, etc. etc. etc
...and these days, I sometimes actually find "my own voice", and move away from imitating others. But it's a challenge!

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 03/17/2017 08:25:22 AM

Kapila Kane
`Olu`olu

USA
942 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  08:11:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And to keep my post from going too long, here's a followup TMI...

When younger, I told myself and everyone that "I'm not a singer"...
and alas, what I told myself became true.
Until I stopped talking trash to myself. (like Keola says, treat yourself with Aloha, this is a difficult thing your doing).

Which I often share with 5th grade beginners on instruments, "Don't say 'I'm not good at music'...or ANYTHING!"
" and then I ask them "What does 'Aloha' mean?
Even kids in Colorado who've never been (yet!) can get into that...

And I tell them about this guy I musician in Hawaii, Keola and The "Aloha/be kind and gentle with yourself" idea,
And we go through the basic meanings that I remember, 'hello"," goodbye", and then I get to "Love/Gentleness"/ and I throw in "Kindness."

You're a kid! You weren't born knowing how to do this, and the other kids not in band or orchestra aren't even trying...but we're gonna help you. But you will need to practice!" {we teach what we want to learn!"]

And at the end of our 1/2 hour classes, as some leave and the next group rushes in, I use Aloha,
If you're leaving, "Aloha" , and if you're coming in, "Aloha"!
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
`Olu`olu

USA
942 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2017 :  1:14:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do love these candid discussions!
And while we're in this heated discussion, wonder if singing "in, and out of high-head voice"
Might be worth a bit of class time this summer? The "pop" between head and chest voice is a challenge...
and of course, IZ almost had NO recognizable Break between Chest and head voice.
Pretty amazing, and hypnotic.
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Aloha

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2017 :  4:55:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been trying a little singing in 'Ōlelo Hawai'i, and, while I am NOT going to quit my day job, I have enjoyed the attempts. I am starting to do more than just sing along in Kanikapila, and actually learn the song and perform it. I have had a little papa 'Ōlelo Hawai'i (language class), and it helps a lot -- I am not just mouthing syllables.
And in learning the song, it helps my instrument playing -- trying to get a Hawaiian sound out of the fiddle.

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000