Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Rebirthing the Patch?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2017 :  2:28:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wondering, what if some of the old and new did just a little more posting? We still need each other, although I do classify myself as a "Gregarious Lone Wolf" Hey, even wolves need company, but also Room to practice my HOWL! Or is it my NAHENAHE?

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  1:37:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heh-woof! Good idea! I'm also a lone wolf (well, maybe better lone wild cat for me), but I don't mind rubbing elbows here on the forum! Especially when it comes to that hard to find neighbor who shares your musical tastes-and this is one of the only ways to find those people. So yeah, let's try and keep this wonderful place alive and well, please.

Say hello for the first time, or come back and say hello again if you've been away. The people here are a perfect match for the music!

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  5:44:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

So why would I want to do any more posting on Taropatch?!

Oops... wait a second... I just did!

I guess the animated discussions of guitars, audio gear, playing techniques, and music theory, related to playing slack key (or not) just don't motivate folks (self included) like they used to.

But I do respond from time to time, and my number of posts do keep creeping up.

Would that be a Zen kōan?: "what is the sound of one Nahenahe Howl"?

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 04/13/2017 5:48:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2017 :  2:52:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is unfortunate that the activity level and fellowship has dropped off considerably over the last 2-3 years. I still browse here at least twice a week and post when relevant. It would be nice to see an uptick, but don't hold your breath. I miss the company of slack-key players and ukulele players that don't just do hapa haole tunes, if that.

Most of my on-line activity is at Acoustic Guitar Forum, which is not nearly as friendly as around here -- no sense of aloha. The UTGF (Unofficial Taylor Guitar Forum) was working for a while since I like Taylor guitars, but I grew tired of seeing basically the same 8-10 questions appear over and over. I still don't / won't do Facebook, etc. Wish I had a good answer.....
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2017 :  04:35:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Earl,
I'm another Taylor fan. I've owned 7 and currently own two. I live about 10 miles from the factory and have actually played with Andy Powers, although he probably won't remember. I'll listen and maybe contribute anytime you want to discuss Taylors.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2017 :  08:33:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Chunky Monkey,

I currently own eight Taylor guitars -- their necks really work for me -- but several will be moving on this summer in my quest to covert over to low-fuss carbon fiber. Living in Alaska and now Idaho, I've been humidifying wooden guitars for a LONG time, and I'm just tired of the struggle. I'd also consider selling my first one - a 414ce - but the used price 414's bring is far less than its real value as a working player. It stands head & shoulders above any other 414 that I've ever played, and was my first Taylor back in 2001. Thus began the migration away from Martin (had four at one point).

There is nothing wrong with any of them, and several are almost in showroom-new condition. It is just time to simplify life a bit and thin down the herd, looking toward retirement.

-----------------

I met Andy Powers several years ago (before he was designated as Bob's heir apparent) at a Road Show here in Boise. Nice guy. It has been a *long* time since I've done the factory tour, as I do not get down toward San Diego very much any more. But I'll make note of your location and if a trip ever comes up, we should get together and pick some ki ho'alu and ukulele. Thanks for reaching out. You can always contact me through the Hotmail address as part of my profile. Aloha!

The list: (* = for sale)
*114ce (lives with friends in Anchorage for trips north)
*414ce
424-LTD all koa (the wood keeper)
*354-LTD 12 string, maple sides & three piece back
*GS-K
*T5 Classic ovangkol top
*615ce the last legacy jumbo they made in 2010

Recently sold: 416-LTD baritone, GS Mini, GS Mini Mahogany
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2017 :  11:17:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just a late night lone wolf check in. Gotta go back to the den in a sec.
I think a couple new slants on old categories might be worth a look.
For instance, LANGUAGE and SINGING, with some links to hot topics when relevant on you tube are a couple ideas that warrant consideration, besides what attention they get in Talk Story,
Perhaps I'm more isolated here in Colorado, since Californa people seem to generate their own gatherings that reinforce Playing and Singing.
But takes energy and time.
And last I heard, Andy has a day job. And plays kanikapilas and gigs. Maybe all the active folks are near the oceans?
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  08:20:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Kapila Kane, if you feel isolated in Colorado, imagine how I feel here in Boise, Idaho? Jesse from TP lives way up north (a six-plus hour drive away). The only person I know locally with any interest in slack key is a retired school teacher who now travels a LOT, including back to visit his ohana in the Islands. I've pestered him for some lessons - there is plenty to learn from him - but have little luck pinning him down between trips.

I've been trying to reconnect with a local hula halau after my contact moved away. I lead the Boise Ukulele Group, but no one in the club has much interest in genuine Hawaiian music. They just want to strum familiar oldies from the Daily Uke books. It's funny but whenever we get to a Hawaiian lyric in the middle of a song, I am suddenly singing solo.
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  04:56:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
""It's funny but whenever we get to a Hawaiian lyric in the middle of a song, I am suddenly singing solo."

You're starring <G>

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  05:26:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just noticed, my instrument has a "wolf-whistle". Ok, only bowed-string string players probably get that, if it's "gettable".
and to respond to the quote:
"It's funny but whenever we get to a Hawaiian lyric in the middle of a song, I am suddenly singing solo." ...Hey, that's your chance to sing, howl, or take some of your allowed 15 minutes of fame. Take it.
It's weird how non-Hawaiian based Ukulele groups JUST DON'T KNOW. They prefer pretty obscure, odd blues, 1920's-50's "hipster" songs, etc.

Ok, we're all "unique copyists"...(weird in our own way?--" Hey, back off man, I'm an artist!")

But if I am obtuse, it's for Hawaii and Hawaiian music as my chosen/adopted field.
And to escape from people who when they see my fiddle ask,
"Can you play the Devil went down to Georgia, or Orange Blossom Special?"
And that's when I howl...it prevents me from barking and biting.

And while I've till recently called myself a almost full time "professional" musician, now I'm part-time, and enjoy it more, and try to play for fun.
When I realize that if I even COULD play Hawaiian music for a living, it's a lot of traveling, and am amazed that Uncle George, Jeff Peterson and all the stars survive by traveling a lot.

Of course, I could make myself available for the PARIS in spring tour!
In the meantime, think I'll sit on the couch, in the hammock ( terrible for the playing position--and only when the snow melts and it stays above 60 degrees at night)
The point is: PLAY and enjoy, Share, and meet other Lone-Wolves. I mean we do like a good Group Howl when we feel Gregarious. It must be Spring, or a full-moon.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 04/21/2017 05:30:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  06:07:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey wolf pack, er I mean, taropatchers! It's so great to read your posts.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  09:13:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aaaaarooooo!

Given the perpetual beginner level of our ukulele group, I always end up singing and leading songs anyway. I don't feel any need for 15 minutes of fame, having performed at festivals and in auditoria with 950 people or more in the audience. Someone has to be the lead dog (and remember: if you are not the lead dog, the view never changes).

I do have some hope, however. A delightful lady just moved here from Hilo, and I hope that she will help me drag them along into some real Hawaiian tunes, even if kicking and screaming about it. We used to do "Keana'e", "Wahine Ilikea" and several others. I've even played some ki hoalu for them on occasion. Lately we are stretching to play "Tiny Bubbles", with "Hanalei Moon" being kinda ethnic for the group.
Go to Top of Page

FROPPE
Akahai

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2017 :  04:20:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howdy! (That's Texan for "Aloha"....)
Still holding out here in the Texas Hill Country, recovering from back surgery, and "fixin" to get my mele going again with some ukulele, slack key and lap steel adventures.

I've really enjoyed my time in the Patch, and look forward to keeping things going!

Aloha (Hawaiian for "see ya' later"....)
Froppe
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2017 :  3:39:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I fit! I have a Wolfpack case for my Martin and I have a carbon fiber guitar. Both are treasured. I check da 'patch at least every other day. My favorite "era" was in the "talk story' section with the discussion in Pidgin (some were put off because the thread didn't represent "true Hawaiian" culture, but us guys neva wen kea!).
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2017 :  05:39:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Thumbstruck, I remember those long threads in Pidgin. I have no issue with it, and Pidgin is quite understandable verbally. But it loses something when written out on a forum and becomes a chore to read. I eventually just passed on those threads. But mo power to ya, bruddah!
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2017 :  07:25:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Earl, I learned Pidgin in self defense as I learned slack key back in '74. Now I play in a polka band. Traditional music always has good food!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000