Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Slack key connections and /or lessons Southern CA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2017 :  04:34:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A friend of mine just asked me if I knew of any slack key connections and or lessons in the Laguna Niguel / Dana Point area of California. Anyone?

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain

Edited by - markwitz on 06/07/2017 04:36:04 AM

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2017 :  6:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dusty Foster (WDF) lives in San Clemente when he's not in Maui
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2017 :  05:43:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, but he can't play any more due to his arthritis... :-(

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2017 :  10:28:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So sorry to hear that, Dusty.

I own a dobro specifically for that day when it hand arthritis comes for me. I'm OK now, but the symptoms are starting.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2017 :  05:32:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately it affects my picking hand as well as my fretting hand.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2017 :  05:41:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear that Dusty. Do you know of any other people in your area that teach slack key?

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2017 :  07:41:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dusty, do you still have your Martin (not the D-28)?
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2017 :  11:47:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Dusty

Sorry to hear arthritis is preventing you from playing slack key. That really sucks I have peripheral neuropathy (nerve damge to the hands & feet) due to type 2 diabetes. I can play at only about 40% level of what I used to play at. Every now & then I have a good day & play at 75-80% of the ability I once took for granted. Most times when I try to play it looks like I have Parkinson's Disease or a very bad case of nervousness. Very bad tremors. Fortunately for me it hasn't compromised my mind. I'm still able to pass on my kiho'alu mana'o to my haumana. My youngest haumana (Jonah Domingo 14 years old, no relation) is doing very well & just played in his second Slack Key Festival on May 27th and is schedule for his third one on the 4th of July. Milton Lau & Donald Batino Kaulia refer to him as the future of slack key. Don has taken him under his wing. I hope to hook the boy up with Ozzie soon so he can take him to the next level.

Maybe you're still able to pass on the mana'o like me, Dusty. Maybe you'll have good days where arthritis will allow you to even demonstrate occasionally.

Below is a video of Jonah's recent performance at the slack key festival. A medley of Sonny Chillingworth's "Slack Key #1 & Ozzie's tribute to that song & Sonny "Kani Kipaipai"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SCh0g_wYkM
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2017 :  12:37:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey ccb290

Why did you delete your post? I was just going to reply with some encouragement.

First of all, you don't need to worry about being "qualified" to share your knowledge of slack key. Don't underestimate your level of play or the slack key knowledge you possess. I guarantee you an entry level player will be very impressed with your knowledge. What we take for granted the up & coming will probably consider to be gold. I was self taught for 26 years and in 5 years of studying with Ozzie Kotani I learned more than I had accumulated in all those years prior. Please reconsider your offer to teach.You could give this person the huge head start I wish I had.

Malama mele,
Duke

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

ccb290
Aloha

9 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2017 :  4:37:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Duke,

Thank you for the kind words, but I must admit I feel intimidated by the advanced level of players on this site. Thanks to you and the information you provided me in the past, my slack key playing is at a new level. I will forever be grateful.

Slack key players in my area of California are scarce and I would love to help anyone who shows an interest in slack key to learn. I feel the drive to meet with him would be well worth it.

Mahalo Duke!
Tim

Go to Top of Page

kihoaluatl
Akahai

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2017 :  5:09:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi y'all. Tim if you think slack key players are scarce in Cali, try Georgia. I even looked up a few of the halaus (schools of hula) in the area and many dance to recordings since they don't have musicians who know the songs.
As Duke said don't worry about your level of play, think about having the best players available to you. I lived in Hawaii and didn't get that until I moved away. Duke has been a great contact in Hawaii and another on the west coast is Fran Guidry. I have not met Fran but have been enjoying his videos for years and feel like he is an old friend.
Aloha from Atlanta,
tom
Go to Top of Page

ccb290
Aloha

9 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2017 :  6:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tom for your words of encouragement! I have not met Fran, but I am grateful to Fran for his kindness and the tablatures he's sent me.

I do feel fortunate that we have the Slack Key Festival once a year in Southern California and they usually offer workshops. I've attended workshops taught by Cyril, Led Kaapana, George Kuo, Kimo West along with a few private lessons from Kimo.

I've felt much of the Aloha spirit from the slack key community and I'm anxious to give back by sharing what I've learned to those interested in slack key.

Mahalo Tom!

Tim
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2017 :  02:39:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Tim

I'm elated to find out that you've found my YouTube videos useful in helping you to expand your kiho'alu. It's such a great feeling to know that I have contributed to the slack key inventory of people I have not even met. There is great pleasure in knowing I have contributed a little bit to the perpetuation of this art form I am so passionate about.

Slack key has given me countless hours of enjoyment. I have used it to take me to my "Happy Place" during the hard times & sad times in life. I know everyone can relate to what I'm saying. That being said, teaching/sharing of kiho'alu mana'o (knowledge) takes that feeling to a whole new level. It's one of the reasons I invest so much time & effort into teaching. Believe me when I say it's a very, very rewarding feeling to help another in their slack key journey.

Norman Markowitz-Get Tim hooked up with your friend who wants to learn

FYI Tim, Tom is a very good player. He has some very nice interpretations & manages to capture the "Hawaiian" sound in his kiho'alu. Not an easy task given that he's about
6000 miles from Hawaii and has no one to play Hawaiian music with in Georgia.

Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2017 :  08:58:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep playing! Your ear will always be ahead of your ability. Listen, watch, play. New things will fall off of the guitar (maybe play on top of a drop cloth to catch the good stuff!). Try new tunes. No shame, no sked. Never be afraid to ask for input. Take all things with a grain of alae salt. If your circle of friends don't get your efforts, find some new friends who will.
Go to Top of Page

ccb290
Aloha

9 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2017 :  10:46:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone for the advice and encouragement!

Duke, I've been a fan of your YouTube videos for years and I appreciate all you've shared with us! My father was raised in Laie and he taught us a slack key song when I was young. A few years ago I sent you a recording to see if it sounded familiar. You had kind things to say and you provided me with advice and information that brought my slack key playing to a new level. Thank you again!
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2017 :  11:18:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Tim!!! I remember that incident but I didn't know that was you. I don't think I identified the song specifically but I know it contained all the key elements of kiho'alu. Glad you're still on your slack key journey & getting better. Stoked that you're making progress & flattered you think I contributed somewhat to your improvement. Don't remember if I shared tabs with you but if I didn't & you're interest in some, just email me a "dukedomingo58 @ yahoo.com" and I'll send you some. Maybe I have more advanced material you might be interested in.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000