Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 What do you call this chord progression?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2017 :  06:15:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a name for the below chord progression, which is so common in slack key rep? For ex, in jazz there's 'rhythm changes' or 12-bar blues or 'Stomp changes'-- you call it and all the musician know the chord progressions.

Is there a name for this in Hawaiian music?:

|G___|____|____|____|
|D7__|____|____|G___|
|D7__|G___|

Edited by - 12toneman on 11/19/2017 06:15:57 AM

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2017 :  06:46:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know that it has a specific name like "twelve bars blues" but this is a very common structure --- a classic Hawaiian ten bar form, which usually fleshes out to twelve bars with the addition of the vamps. Having ten bars instead of eight, twelve, or sixteen bars is one of the unique characteristics of Hawaiian musical styles, and was puzzling when I first encountered it. The vamps also give hula dancers a moment to get ready for the the next verse.

The chords are just the I (one) and the V7 (seventh version of the five chord) which is also quite common in Hawaiian music. Sometimes you also get the IV (four) chord and even the II (two) chord, for extra flavor. But many great songs just use the I-V chords.

With the numbering system, upper case letters are major chords (I, IV, V, etc) and lower case letters are minor chords (ii, iii, vi, etc). Minor chords are relatively infrequent in traditional island music. Modifiers like sevenths are written out as V7, II7, etc. Probably more than you wanted to know....
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2017 :  05:08:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's the chords to "Salomila", "Manuela Boy", and a few others.
Go to Top of Page

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2017 :  05:48:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWIW, between my playing buddy and me, we call it Punahele Changes (I think it was probably the first tune we did with that progression).

"Got a new song for us, Pau Hana."
"Cool, what are the chords?"
"Punahele changes in common time."
"Vamos!"
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2017 :  06:26:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any shorthand method you use is fine, as long as you both understand it.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2017 :  12:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hawaiian music also has crooked tunes. "Na Ka Pueo" is an example. I was showing to to Slipry1 and he said, "That's crooked!" I hadn't realized it, I'd just learned it by jamming. Tunes sometimes get that way to accommodate the words and/or the hula.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000