Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 "Sand" in Slack Key tuning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  11:42:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't play steel, but I'd like to learn "Sand" in a Slack Key tuning (I've actually seen someone play this in standard tuning). I can handle Taro Patch or G Wahine, Open D, D6, G minor, D minor or Drop C. Anybody have chords for this tune? I can also transpose from a steel or ukulele chord list. Thanks.

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2018 :  1:47:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had it figured out in G Taropatch, but Ocean Kawili used a C tuning when I talked to him a few years ago.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2018 :  1:50:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I play it in C, but in G Taropatch. I have a YouTube video of it in among of tunes in C in G tuning.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2018 :  05:45:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thumbs,
can you send me (or post) the link to that Youtube? Thanks
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2018 :  09:14:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look for "Kory Tideman, Slack Key- 3 Tunes played in C, G Taropatch", the 3 tunes are, "Little Street in Singapore", "Old Hawai'i", and "Sand"".
Go to Top of Page

jkwasnik
Aloha

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2018 :  10:43:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit jkwasnik's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andy Iona's Sand is a steel guitar standard. Here's Jerry Byrd playing it: https://youtu.be/jXEP5DFDMM4 ... sounds a lot like Django Reinhardt's Nuages, no? Actually, Iona released it a few years prior to Reinhardt's.

I don't have anything for slack key, but the Steel Guitar Forum has a few tabs for steel, and you could at least get the chords from that.

John Kwasnik
Sacramento, CA
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2018 :  07:52:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, Jerry did "borrow" Nuages for his intro to Sand, but then went into the tune. My favorite version is by Jules Ah See. I taught thumbs the tune, so he could back me up. The guy is a musical genius, IMHO. btw, most of the Hawaiian steelers I've met play Jerry's intro. We do it in D, the key Jerry uses. It's played on the B11 neck, popularized by Jules. I've played Nuages and segued into Sand. Good combo, eh?

keaka
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000