Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Performance anxiety
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2018 :  10:31:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This idea comes from the discussion of vocal range. It got me thinking of how the present "culture", CDs, TV, videos, radio, etc have caused undue anxiety about playing and singing. People tend to forget or overlook entirely the hours of practice and training folks have put in to get to the finished product. Those learning feel a great burden to sound good right away, forgetting that learning through trial and error must take time and effort. When talking to beginners, I tell them that when practicing, if they hit a "wrong note", it's good, because now they know where that note is. Too much pressure on "learning a tune" versus "learning to play the instrument". Thoughts?

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2018 :  4:26:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

Those learning feel a great burden to sound good right away, forgetting that learning through trial and error must take time and effort. When talking to beginners, I tell them that when practicing, if they hit a "wrong note", it's good, because now they know where that note is. Too much pressure on "learning a tune" versus "learning to play the instrument". Thoughts?

Violent agreement here. I'm only just beginning to move away from this sort of limiting thinking. For a long time I've been stuck in the "learn to play the tune as written" mode, and still play most of the tunes I know that way.

Recently, I started attempting to learn "Ku'u Ipo Onaona", but I'm struggling with it so far. It hasn't started to click yet.

Because I get frustrated with it, I've started doing things like picking a simple tune that I know how to play reasonably well (like "Ke aloha" or "Molehu") and start mucking around with one or two bars of it at at time, trying to find alternative ways to play it that sound good. Stuff like adding in a hammer on/pull off or a slide where there wasn't one and that sort of thing.

It's slow going, but I think it's helping me.

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2018 :  09:54:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good on ya, Geoff! Like Duke says: Step #1, da book, Step #2, no moa book! Classical Music used to be the "Pop" of its day, but "the suits" were wound too tight and lost their audience because of being far too stringent. Like Led says, "No stress, jus' press."
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2018 :  3:24:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I love this clip of Joe Walsh talking about playing in front of people. https://youtu.be/g-tMIvWSuzE?t=32

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  09:32:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enjoyed the Joe Walsh comments and chatting over dinner.
I still battle anxiety over playing...sickly ingrained. It's the old inner critic, which is a combination of my mom, my 6th grade English teacher, some ex-girlfriends, some of the jocks at school, etc. But mostly now, it's just old tapes in my head. I think I'll throw the tapes away, old technology.
There's some books on this stuff: "The Inner Game of Music" and that's old. Probably some better ones. so, just "Trust yourself Luke."
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  1:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Give in, Luke, force it....." or li'dat. Because our ears develop better than our physical abilities, we can be our own harshest critics. Slipry1 let me in on something: you can play your best and not "impress" folks, you can play crappy and blow them away. People bring their own thing to listening. Music is subjective. We should learn to laugh like Led does!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000