Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Making some progress, finally
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  10:14:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A while back, Duke sent me some files, and I've been trying to learn Ku'u Ipo Onaona for quite a while, without making much headway with it. I had the tab printed out, but still couldn't get the groove going with it.

The other night, I decided it was high time I buckled down and got going on it. I installed TEFViewer on my old Android phone, hooked it up to my Bluetooth speaker, and then figured out both how to slow the Midi player down to a speed I could play it at, as well as isolating a couple of bars at a time.

Happy to report that appears to have done the trick. I've started making progress on playing the tune now. Still a long way to go, but I should be able to carry on this way now and pick up the pace a bit.

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2018 :  11:26:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the progress. We have some amazing study tools and resources available these days, compared to the days of vinyl records and tablature books, when I started learning.

I need to work on that tune myself, plus at least a dozen others on the "to do" list. I started working on it half-heartedly years ago using the Ledward / Bob Brozman videotape from Homespun.

So many tunes, so little time........
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2018 :  11:42:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Earl

Congrats on the progress. We have some amazing study tools and resources available these days, compared to the days of vinyl records and tablature books, when I started learning.

I need to work on that tune myself, plus at least a dozen others on the "to do" list. I started working on it half-heartedly years ago using the Ledward / Bob Brozman videotape from Homespun.

So many tunes, so little time........

I know the feeling You're absolutely right about the tools and resources. I don't think I would have picked up slack key playing at all in the days before all this technology.

I have the Led video on DVD, but couldn't really get anywhere with it, even though the DVD includes a file containing the tab (which is slightly different than the version that I'm currently working from, but that may be good later, to learn some variations).

At the moment, I seem to learn a tune best when I can have the tab in front of me, and slow down the audio enough to follow along (sometimes that's about 50% of the full speed). That's not the traditional way of learning slack key, but it seems to work for me for now.

Go to Top of Page

jkwasnik
Aloha

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2018 :  09:50:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit jkwasnik's Homepage  Reply with Quote
YouTube is a good resource for learning new songs. I'm not sure if this is widely known, but you can slow down YouTube video playback. On the right side of the bottom control strip is a gear icon. Click it, and a menu pops up ... one option is to change playback speed.

John Kwasnik
Sacramento, CA
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2018 :  12:17:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkwasnik

YouTube is a good resource for learning new songs. I'm not sure if this is widely known, but you can slow down YouTube video playback. On the right side of the bottom control strip is a gear icon. Click it, and a menu pops up ... one option is to change playback speed.

I did know about that particular trick and have used it a few times. I still struggle with learning just from watching, but I suspect it's got more to do with me not doing it enough.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000