Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Thinking of the Camp gang...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2018 :  09:19:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Told my wife we better get going...performance in a few hours at Maui Cultural Center for the students and teachers attending George Kahumoku's camp!

Good luck, and have fun. Weather here today (in Colorado) is similar to the rain we've often seen driving over...but today we're in Colorado and a bit of a monsoon pattern, except it's 65, not 80.
But we're happy here. It's a beautiful day..."break a leg", "merde"...whatever we performers prefer to say for "go get 'em!"

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 07/05/2018 9:31:51 PM

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2018 :  10:55:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got to `Oahu today after an awesome stay on Maui. George’s Slack Key camp was terrific. The MACC performance went well, and George even gave me a pa`ani on the fiddle in Henehene Kou Aka!
After our turn onstage, there was a great lineup of slack key players.
Before his turn on stage, I had a nice conversation with George Kuo, He told us to come see him on `Oahu, and tonight (Tuesday) we did see him. We got basically a personal concert of expertly played and sung slack key,, at a Mexican Restaurant in Hawai`i Kai, with the moonlight sparkling the water in the little bay. How's dat? Unreal!

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"

Edited by - Maliko on 06/26/2018 11:00:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2018 :  08:06:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man, I sure miss going to Aloha Camp. And I never made it to Uncle George's camp. Now that I have stopped flying altogether, it is unlikely I'll get to either.
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2018 :  06:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Earl, maybe I’ll fly to you... I may be traveling your way this summer.

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2018 :  08:31:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
By all means Maliko, reach out if you are coming through Boise. My email is part of my profile, and I would love to hang with a fellow taropatcher and play some ki hoalu.
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2018 :  12:55:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Earl

I would love to hang with a fellow taropatcher and play some ki hoalu.

Wouldn't we all?

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2018 :  9:30:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought I'd better drop back in. Thanks for the ''Tales from the Camp" and all.
I used to drop by most nights, and many days to Taropatch...
but we all did.

I'm doing my old, middle of the night "walkabout", or "postabout"!
but no big events tomorrow morning...so, here I am again!

Midsummer nights in Colorado are Nirvana, and even more so if in the high country.
Perhaps, it was more a function of undiagnosed sleep apnea, which I'm doing better with...
but still enjoy the creative fits that arise in the middle of the night.
As Rumi said,
"Do not go back to sleep, the morning breezes have secrets to reveal to you"!
(was it, "hey bub, go back to sleep or you'll be worthless and have to muddle through the day?"
but
Many years as a professional night musician and night owl was the pattern.
THEN I became a daytime school teacher, and those "staying up till zero was not practical, at least till summer break!

Those 6 AM and earlier wakeup calls! But we all play different roles, as parents may be way ahead of me on that...
But I see a few friends who sleep till noon, but they miss some beautiful sunrises unless they're still up getting ready for bed.

And nowadays, when someone wants to start a recording session after 3 PM, I say..."well I have great energy in the mornings, into afternoon...so now I prefer to start by 10 AM or so.
I admire George Kahumoku's seemingly endless energy...running the farm, playing music, fishing and such.
I think I finally figured out "Little Big Man" and " Forest Gump"...
It's that most of us do play many roles in our lifetime. And now I hope for a few more!
Like great actors from older times that find, rediscover, or keep have always kept a strong presence. Like Judy Dench, or many others.
Well my morning breezes have revealed it's time to go back to bed now!
Dream on Amigos.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 07/05/2018 9:42:58 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000