Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 YouTuber Confessions: How many takes?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2018 :  08:58:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man, I can feel great about a tune, but put a camera in front of me and I'll cack. Ooooo, the pressure to be perfect, lol!

YouTubers, how many takes does it usually take or do you give yourself before you're satisfied and post a video? How often do you nail a hole in one???

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2018 :  09:09:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Red Light Fever is one term I've seen for that collapse in front of the camera or microphone, and it seems to be very common indeed. One reason I try to use at least two cameras is to make it easier to cut around goofs. But even with that I probably shoot at least three for every keeper and sometimes a lot more.

And lets not talk about the sessions that produce lots of stress and sweat with no result worth publishing.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2018 :  12:11:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I actually use "red light fever" as a way of rehearsing. The extra stress of knowing that tape is rolling (metaphorically speaking) is similar to the stress of playing live in front of people, and helps me root out the problem areas. Or creates new ones that I'd rather know about in advance.

The key is that I NEVER listen to or view the tape until after performing. Otherwise, I just fixate on the four seconds of clams, and forget completely about the 3:56 of pretty good playing. Then on stage I will tense up as that section approaches, virtually guaranteeing a mistake.
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2018 :  1:39:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've not recorded myself too often, but it usually takes a few goes. Normally, I screw things up fairly early if I'm going to do it at all. If I can get past the first vamp, I'm often OK after that.

I had an interesting time last week when a friend of mine interviewed me for her ukulele podcast. Slack key was talked about and I played a tune at the end. That took a couple of takes to get right. There were a few bum notes in the performance at the end, but I just kept playing through it, so hopefully it comes out sounding OK. (The podcast isn't due to go up for another four weeks or so yet).

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2018 :  3:19:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fran Guidry

Red Light Fever is one term I've seen for that collapse in front of the camera or microphone, and it seems to be very common indeed.

I first heard the term "Red Light Fever" when Fran & I met at Kaka'ako Beachfron Park for a kanikapila/recording session. We were there for about 2 hours & came out with NO videos because I kept screwing up over & over again.

I am the "King of Mistakes" In my 45 years of playing kiho'alu, I'm not sure if I ever got through a piece without making at least one mistake. In every single one of my YouTube videos there are literally 5 to 10 mistakes. For every YouTube video I have, it took multiple takes trying to reach perfection which was never attained. Only one of my videos was one take. "Slack Key Hula" I had just finished videotaping "Ku'u Kika Kahiko" It took me literally 40 takes to finally get a decent rendition of "Ku'u Kika Kahiko" I was so releived that I surprisingly did a pretty clean job on "Slack Key Hula" in one take!!!!Buuuuuuuut, I was using that Taylor steel string for about 20 of the takes on "My old guitar" I recorded "Ku'u Kika Kahiko" in C6th Maunaloa tuned down 1/2 step just like Ozzie's recording. I tuned my Taylor by ear afterwards not realizing I was still a half step low. So "Slack Key Hula" is played in F#/Gb Taropatch. So in reality I still don't have a "one take" video without mistakes

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2018 :  03:27:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When the pressure is on, the pressure is felt. Our culture has become one of product instead of communication. Recordings must be "perfect", no nuance of humans playing or communicating with others.
Oral cultures in the past were a bit more "forgiving", the sense mattered more than the exactness (except in chants of geneologies, laws, histories, etc). No stress, jus' press!
Go to Top of Page

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2018 :  07:57:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys make me feel much better!
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

When the pressure is on, the pressure is felt. Our culture has become one of product instead of communication. Recordings must be "perfect", no nuance of humans playing or communicating with others.
Oral cultures in the past were a bit more "forgiving", the sense mattered more than the exactness (except in chants of geneologies, laws, histories, etc). No stress, jus' press!

But with these oral cultures there was no documented record like video, right? Flub a note in a live performance, it's gone into the past. But on a video or recording-- it's for keeps if you don't give yourself another take!
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2018 :  09:01:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Flubbed notes and words make for "regional variations".
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  4:13:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I asked a friend who played and recorded with Jackson Browne for 25 years. "Hey, how many takes did it take to cut an album" (ok, all this pre-digital, all the old 2 inch tape, 24 tracks, with lots of overdubbing and alternate takes...punch-ins etc..
His answer..."a million". If I asked him a million times the answer was always, "A million".
Of course "live to a camera, you take the best you can get in a reasonable amount of your lifetime.
But after discussed here, I'd say, "don't ask...cause I'll never tell!"
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  5:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

Flubbed notes and words make for "regional variations".

Don't you mean "regionul variatons"??

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  3:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reginald Variations is the singer.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic