Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Taropatch in non Slack-Key ways
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
503 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  09:07:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since we are traveling to a big Hawaiian jam in Washington in early October, it occurred to me that I might want to play slack-key and other songs too, including with ukulele, and it multiple keys. Normally I would simply bring two guitars to avoid constant re-tuning from taropatch to the old familiar "standard". It occurred to me that I could travel lighter.

So last night I tried playing through a lot of my repertoire using taropatch tuning. It was an interesting exercise to figure out new chord fingerings on the fly for chords that normally don't occur in Hawaiian music (Dm for example). I intend to follow through on this further and work out most of my normal rock & roll, folk, and country songs over the coming weeks. The voicings are different in a neat way - fewer strong bass runs and root notes on the sixth string most of the time, versus what I'm sued to in boom-chuck style playing. Many chords require four strings only to be convenient "grips".

In some ways this is like learning to play all over again -- both good and bad aspects there. It is often useful to shake things up and re-hone the chops.

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  3:21:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ozzie & Kory Tideman (aka thumbstruck) are expert at these "Partial Chords" (Ozzie's terminology) Theoretically, I believe you can finger almost any chord in taropatch tuning using the partial chord concept. If you ever had the privilege of watching Oz "open up" taropatch tuning you would definitely understand why he says it's the most versatile slack key tuning. Check out this Ozzie composition played in taropatch to get an idea of how he opens it up. BTW, this is TP member Robert d'Entremont once known here as "Haole Boy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44l6fgNeBGo

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000