Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Any fans of "environmental" sounds?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  3:34:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Really love the Sea of Crickets we get this time of year.
Driving down the Colorado roads at night, it's continuous WAVES of Millions and Millions of crickets.
And maybe some locusts Chipping in on low harmony.

And so far, NO COQUI FROGS...
Usually I don't mind who shows up for open mike. But I'm NOT giving the Frogs a mike.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 08/19/2018 3:35:44 PM

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  5:49:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep. I don't mind the sounds of crickets, and at our new place, there's a pond down the road, so we often hear frogs in the evenings.

I'm also a fan of them mixed with music. One of the reasons I started learning to play guitar in the first place was because of a guitar tune on one of the Dan Gibson's Solitudes albums.

Still haven't figured out how to play that tune though :(

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  9:09:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for redundances...Trying to edit...Safari crashed. Computer old, and this operator ain't a spring techie.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 08/19/2018 9:16:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2018 :  9:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a nice little tune. Played in A, without a guitar in hand and house asleep, first guess is it's in standard, capoed 2. A good open G player should find a rendition in Taropatch tuning, again you could capo 2.

I enjoy environmental sounds. Our Colorado group Upsidasium used Elk bugling for our tune "Wapiti". That's of course a Lakota or other Native word for Elk. I like Wapiti better!
Our late friend Dick Orleans (He was the techie) and I drove into Rocky National Park in late September, drove to quiet spots, put out mikes, then sat in the car, with blankets. No engine of course. Headphones into a pre-amp and Apex recording device. They came close, and with headphones on, it felt like they were SPITTING on the mikes.
We used it on our "Falling Up" CD, the cut was "Wapiti".
It's hovering close to OOP. and it' way to energetic for slack key fans. Jumping meters between 6/8 and 5/8 time. But quite a challenge for a rusty classical turned fiddle player.
So glad we did it.
Maybe I'll dig up a copy sometime and post it.
And get our pianist at the time to rustle up some copies.
We used to joke "It's a million sellar...there's a million of them in our cellar."
Now I have to scrounge to find one!
Well, no Elk sounds here in the lowlands of Denver, so I guess I'll head to the hammock, stars, and millions of crickets.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  08:52:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have spent a LOT of time measuring noise in the field (part of my job). A major part of that is being silent myself, to avoid interfering with the measurement. In many ways, this is like being a hunter, remaining still and silent to avoid spooking or alerting prey. So I've heard lots of environmental sounds while doing that. That includes bears sneaking up on me in Alaska, moose crashing through the brush, and other smaller critters.

Among the coolest things I've heard were bald eagles. Flying toward you, they are completely silent. But after passing overhead, you can hear a subtle "whoosh, whoosh" sound from the trailing edge of their wings. I've also heard whale song underwater while scuba diving off Hawaii Island.

I like falling asleep with crickets, rainfall, and other natural noises in the background. Even waves lapping against the hull of a boat is pretty soothing.
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  4:02:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kapila Kane

That's a nice little tune. Played in A, without a guitar in hand and house asleep, first guess is it's in standard, capoed 2. A good open G player should find a rendition in Taropatch tuning, again you could capo 2.

Thanks for that. I had another friend suggest it was in A as well. I have no idea personally, which is why I haven't really gone after learning it. My ear for note identification is pretty much non-existent

Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2018 :  07:01:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Earl:
"I have spent a LOT of time measuring noise in the field (part of my job)...A major part of that is being silent myself, to avoid interfering with the measurement. In many ways, this is like being a hunter, remaining still and silent to avoid spooking or alerting prey..."

Me: Actually, when I go to one of my favorite, relatively isolated spots (It USED to be REALLY isolated--now there's more 35 acre Ranchettes here and there...which means More lights, scattered praire-palaces and their extra out-buildings, (not talking about the privy) more people, "more scars upon the Land"...but at least no fracking up there at 10,000 feet. Yet. $&&(*$$# @ @ @ ##

Here's the gist of this...I have to get out of "City Mode". It takes awhile stop the fear of silence, then mysterious noises, etc.
The place I went had an active beaver dam, and owls, black bear ( who when the cabin was unoccupied had a history of a bear breaking in looking for food--but always when unoccuuupied)) and elk, deer and more...of course there were periodic mice that once bustled around us. So we watched food and all the cleaning and storage to minimize "visitors"!
(Nowadays No GRIZZlies around Colorado, but hear tell of occasional mountain lions). So some fear modified into awareness is healthy!

I'd pull in...often after dark, start a fire and light some candles (now on propane), (And still in my fearful city brain--finally Then turn off my car lights and radio!)
cook something and then go out to listen and watch.
"Oh look, Billions of Stars, not 42!"
And during spring runoff, there was a periodic rumble/thump, which sounded like a large animal. It was large rolling rock in the stream, which resettled as currents and gravity did their tug-of-war!
Of course, there is a need to be aware...but most fears were in my head!
It's wondrous
But may have to get my nerves steeled and try Alaska...but NOT SOLO. I'm taking friends who run slower than I. And that's getting pretty slow!

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 09/02/2018 07:02:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2018 :  09:36:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I always enjoyed taropatcher Dan Sythe's whalesong.net.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2018 :  10:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

I always enjoyed taropatcher Dan Sythe's whalesong.net.

Nice. Love humpback whalesong. I've got a couple of CDs (like this one) with their songs over ambient music. Been quite a while since I listened to those though.

Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2018 :  05:28:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kapila Kane
But may have to get my nerves steeled and try Alaska...but NOT SOLO. I'm taking friends who run slower than I. And that's getting pretty slow!

No worries. Most of the time, the worst critter you might have to contend with is mosquitoes. Sometimes moose, but treat them like cattle. Don't crowd them and they don't care that you are there. Avoid bulls during rutting season, and don't let a your dog run loose on the trails. Wolves are the natural enemy of moose, and all dogs are wolves to a moose. The dog runs down the trail, angers a moose then runs back to you for protection - leading the angry moose right back to you.

I've spent a LOT of time in the field all over Alaska. I was only worried two times. Once was a remote site on the North Slope. They helicoptered me out 60 miles from nowhere for the day and I had a serious high powered rifle as mandatory gear - polar bears. The other time was being dropped off by boat on the Kuskokwim River. The area where I needed to be had an active and aggressive grizzly bear. The guide advised me to keep my back to the river, and always face the brush. I always had a .44 Magnum in its holster (for backup - that's a pretty marginal gun for Grizzly bears) and a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with slugs across my knees. I saw tracks that were less than an hour old a couple of times, but never heard or saw the bear.

Old hunting guide joke: "I carry a .22 pistol as my bear gun. I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you. Shooting you in the foot with my .22 guarantees I can do that".
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2018 :  05:37:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

For the first minute of my weekly radio program "Mele O Hawaii" on KKUP Cupertino (KKUP.ORG), I use natural environmental sounds which I recorded early in the morning about 150 feet from the ocean at Napili Bay. You should recognize these sounds Kapilakane.

Actually I have recorded 5-10 hours of these early morning Napili Bay sounds and edited them to remove human and machine sounds. I want just the natural environmental sounds: wave sounds, bird sounds, a lizard "chirping" on the tree near the recorder, etc. I sometimes play them as background while I work in my office.

It is interesting to observe that the sounds of the Napili birds have substantially changed over the years. Twenty years ago there was much more variety in the bird sounds of Napili in the morning. It seems that some of the species are being "pushed out" by invasive species and some have simply disappeared.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2018 :  07:29:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...I want to buy a copy of "The Environmental Sounds of Napili"!
I bet you did it well, with low-noise equipment.
I "taped" a minute of crickets the other night, but lazy, just stepped out the back door with phone. And even at 3 AM the low rumble of cars anywhere within a couple miles gets annoying.

Need to get away from the city/suburbs, get a decent pre-amp or whatever.
Unfortunately, If I go west and into mountains, the lower temperatures mean fewer crickets and their kin-folk.

Still, these natural sounds are a good meditation...crickets, rare distant car or bus, and the low-spark of high-wheeled boys.?
But seriously, the lapping ocean and breeze of Napili, maybe some Light rain...and the soft sound of a distant blender. Hold the umbrella, it's only a fancy toothpick.
And the crickets will slow down as temperatures fall. So I need a stash of environmental sounds to get me through the colder times.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2018 :  3:48:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And thought I heard a frog voice (not mine) the other night. My neighbor has a little pond, and that attracts a frog of two. Not sure where they go in the winter, maybe they just croak? 
but No Coqui' frogs here--although with global warming, maybe coming soon.
But kinda like the cacophony of crickets, a few locusts, and a frog or two.
However, our warm season is here today, gone tomorrow. And with it, the sounds that help cover the noise of the city.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 09/14/2018 3:49:21 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000