Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Just like the old days, only older...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  10:18:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weird. I just woke up in the middle of the night and zombie-like, gravitated towards the keyboard and posting.
I will always have a sweet spot for this Taropatch.
it casts a spell, a .net
I mean, I like you Facebook, but I think we should start seeing other people! Perhaps I should have posted this under, "quiet here lately (cricket sounds)...

and Hey, isn't finding calmness and quiet in a loud, manipulative world the reason we withdraw to a nice, nahenahe corner?
And to think kinder, calmer, and WARMER thoughts.
We love Hawaii, and not because we have to own and profit from it.
Besides, it's like minus 5 out tonight.
I mean, I'd really like to start seeing Island-minded people. They're warmer.
Venting warm thoughts in Colorado...back to the electric blanket!

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2019 :  05:23:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Connecting with musical kindred spirits is the main thing. Exactly how that happens is secondary.

I had more typed, but the software kicked me out when I went to post. This is all I am willing to re-type from scratch.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2019 :  05:57:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Community can be hard to come by, no matter how many "likes" and emojies decorate the pictures. Nothing can replace real folks....
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2019 :  12:20:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

Community can be hard to come by, no matter how many "likes" and emojies decorate the pictures. Nothing can replace real folks....

If you can find 'em in the first place. Pretty lonely in this neck of the woods

Geoff - g'day from Canberra, Australia.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2019 :  04:31:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geoff, try music stores etc. Check the ethnic organizations, check if there are any halau (hula schools) in the area.
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2019 :  11:16:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Geoff, try music stores etc. Check the ethnic organizations, check if there are any halau (hula schools) in the area.

Mate, I've gone so far as to contact the US Embassy here in Canberra.

There's nothing.

After the Maui workshop, we wanted to get our daughter into some more Hula dancing classes, as she loved the one at the workshop. We had to settle for Tahitian dancing, as it was the closest we could find.

Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2019 :  04:25:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like you're the seed for future development.....
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2019 :  05:42:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yup if you build it they will come. When we moved from Alaska (where we were involved in an ukulele club) down to Idaho, we were surprised to find there wasn't anything in a town as big as Boise. So I started a ukulele club, and its been going for 12 years now. I just recently stepped down. Twelve years was enough.

I am also slowly building connections with local Hawaiians, but it has been slow going. We go to a few kani throughout the year and a big picnic every summer. I would like more..... I have even offered to play guitar or uke backing a local halau, but they prefer the predictability of dancing to recordings.
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2019 :  06:11:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geoff,

My hula sister Anna Carbonell now lives and teaches hula in Mullumbimby but I see that it's 1,000 km from Canberra so that is a bit far I'm afraid! Although you and your daughter might be interested in a workshop she and Kumu Kawika Alfiche (from San Francisco) are giving there on November 23 and 24. Her Facebook page is Aloha Hula NSW. Go check it out. Let me see if I can tag you on it.
Claudia
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2019 :  11:42:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Looks like you're the seed for future development.....

Long term, that is the plan. Definitely.

Right now, I need to concentrate on building a much bigger repertoire and getting past my stage fright (when I tried to perform slack key in front of people in April, it was a train wreck, even though I'd played both pieces dozens of times each. Oddly, when I performed a duet of Akaka Falls on stage at the open mic night on Maui, there were no nerves, despite the audience being much larger).

I've been a bit lax in my slack key practice of late. I'm currently doing a playing by ear course, and it's chewing up all my practice time. When it doesn't, a friend of mine asked me to play guitar on some recording she's doing for her podcast, so I need to do some practice of those tunes too.

Since my Hawaii trip in June, I have been working on learning "Hawaii Aloha" by myself, without the aid of tab. Given the enormous holes in my musical knowledge, working out the harmony bits to add to the melody and bass lines is proving problematic. But I'm getting there.

My plan is to keep on learning new tunes this way. It's ultimately more satisfying, just a lot harder at the moment.

Keeping the motivation up to keep practicing is hard though. There are a few days when I wonder if it's actually worth it.

Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2019 :  12:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Earl

Yup if you build it they will come.

In this neck of the woods, I'm not so certain of that.

I taught a slack key `ukulele workshop at a local `uke festival back in April. I ended up with more people in my class than any other workshop at the festival. For the rest of the day, I had people come up to me to tell me that they had really enjoyed the class.

But since then, there's only two views of the YouTube video I recorded as a reference for the workshop attendees. I was one of those, and the other was Jason Jerome on Maui, who I sent the link to.

There's plenty of uke groups in this city (at least half a dozen that I know about, some with a regular attendance of 40+ people). None of them play any Hawaiian music, beyond the occasional hapa haole song.

Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2019 :  12:53:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any playing of any music is "money in the bank" - playing music is just recognizing patterns and working with them Different genres will help, also different instruments. I've seen Led play Country and Blues, Bobby Ingano does Rockabilly. It's all a learning process.....
Go to Top of Page

Eynowd
Lokahi

Australia
181 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2019 :  5:46:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you might have forgotten your own reply, Earl!

Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2019 :  09:34:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I've been having trouble with the software lately. I type a full response and it forgets it when I try to post. In self defense, I have to copy and paste into a Word document before posting, just in case. Sometimes I forget....

What I was going to say is:
Our ukulele group generally keeps a wide berth from true Hawaiian music, with "Tiny Bubbles" as about the most adventurous we get. Two native Hawaiians moved nearby and joined us a couple of years ago, which helped me to reintroduce a few Hawaiian language songs and some lesser known hapa haole tunes. Now that one of them has moved away again, I may have trouble keeping those on the play list. Examples include Hawaii Aloha, Koke'e, Wahine Ilikea, Maui Girl, Hukilau, and others.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000