Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 "Aloha `Oe"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2020 :  06:56:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Years ago someone gifted me with a collection of Ozzie Kotani tabs - obviously a treasure trove for someone trying to get started in slack key. One piece that really elevated my playing was the taropatch arrangement of Aloha `Oe that was included. I worked on that piece for weeks and enjoyed playing it, but somehow it slipped off the radar after a while and lately I realized that I couldn't come up with a decent version of this classic song.

That clearly wouldn't do, so I started noodling, then chasing different versions on YouTube and in my music collection. The vocal arrangements on YouTube were both inspiring and confusing - lots of lovely singing but also lots of interpretation of the melody and phrasing.

It took a few weeks, I'm sure Lynnie is tired of hearing flubbed up versions of the song echoing through the house, but I finally got a clip of the song I'm not embarrassed to post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDu5cDmnmk4

I'm using a pair of omni mics, Audio Technica AT4022s, into a Zoom F6 recorder. The guitar is by Kim Walker, tuned to taropatch of course.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2020 :  05:01:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nahenahe and wonderful as always, Fran. I am inspired to work on that arrangement myself. Hopefully life won't get in the way - yet again. One of the big advantages to a weeklong camp like AMC is that you can shut the world out for a few days and just play music.

We have hosted a number of kankapila in our backyard all summer, with the ukulele club and with guitar friends. But our weather is now turning too cold for outdoor play - it was 58° and sunny yesterday, but heading downhill fast. And few are willing to risk indoor jams and singing these days.
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2020 :  05:59:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done, Fran!

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2020 :  06:42:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful, Fran. A few years back, Ozzie taught this piece at the Kahumoku Workshop. I think I'll have to resurrect it. I love what you've done with it.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2020 :  06:19:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Earl

Nahenahe and wonderful as always, Fran. I am inspired to work on that arrangement myself. Hopefully life won't get in the way - yet again. One of the big advantages to a weeklong camp like AMC is that you can shut the world out for a few days and just play music.

We have hosted a number of kankapila in our backyard all summer, with the ukulele club and with guitar friends. But our weather is now turning too cold for outdoor play - it was 58° and sunny yesterday, but heading downhill fast. And few are willing to risk indoor jams and singing these days.

I'm beyond lucky because I can shut the world out any time, my obligations are only those I allow - the only known advantage of being an old fogey (grin).

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2020 :  06:20:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maliko

Nicely done, Fran!

Thanks,
Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2020 :  06:22:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wdf

Wonderful, Fran. A few years back, Ozzie taught this piece at the Kahumoku Workshop. I think I'll have to resurrect it. I love what you've done with it.

Someone gifted me with some of Ozzie's tabs and that's how I originally learned "Aloha `Oe." Then I let the arrangement slip away so I had to come up with something for this clip. I'm sure a lot of Ozzie's ideas are in there, his ideas are in all my playing.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000