Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Can anyone identify this song - "Hani Lei"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jcraft1
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2020 :  3:05:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been trying to identify, without success, the actual name of the song played by George Kahumoku, Jr., Led Kaapana, Bob Brozman and Herb Ohta in this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge_Va6iyBU4

The video shows the title "Hani Lei", but I cannot find any info on it via web searches, including this site, Huapala.org and other Hawaiian-centric cites.
Based of the audience's sing-along, I'm apparently one of the few people who had not heard it before.
The video poster didn't know the title at first and asked for an identification from viewers. Hani Lei was submitted (and incorporated in the video description about 7 years later.
Any help with title, author and other versions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Slack Key is timeless, yet always new.
Blessings and peace be upon the de-tuned.

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2020 :  6:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Aloha e jcraft1...

George Kahumoku wrote this song and it is actually called Hale 'Olu. Too bad the beginning of the song is cut-off in the video as the title is in the opening line.

The chorus you hear is "Kani Nei" NOT Hani Lei, referring to the distant sound of ocean and birds at the "Pleasant/Comfortable House" (Hale 'Olu).

It is on George Kahumoku's "Classic Hawaiian Hula's Vol.3" CD (Studio Version) and "Seeds of Aloha" CD (Live Version) and may appear other places as well. George generally gets the audience to sing along on the easy chorus!

This should help you a bit.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 10/20/2020 6:45:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

jcraft1
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2020 :  05:57:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It helps out way more than "A Bit" - Mahalo Nui!

During Covid-19 quarantine here in San Diego, I discovered slack key guitar, and especially George K's music CDs (and books and DVDs, Farming videos)I have been voraciously adding to my collection (most recently George's collaboration with Japanese zither master Naoto Kono - good stuff!).
A side effect of such rapid accrual, is that there is a backlog of music to listen to (I order fast and listen slow), including this song. I actually have the Seeds Of Aloha version, which is taken from the 3rd Masters Of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar compilation.
Knowing the actual title of the song makes for a much more effective search
Thank you again!

Slack Key is timeless, yet always new.
Blessings and peace be upon the de-tuned.

Edited by - jcraft1 on 10/21/2020 08:05:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2020 :  05:34:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

P.S. - I will make sure to play "Hale 'Olu" on my Friday morning Hawaiian Radio show tomorrow, sometime during the Maluhia Morning segment between 7AM and 8AM. (The show is "Mele O Hawaii" on KKUP Cupertino FM 91.5 which live streams at KKUP.ORG )

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2020 :  07:13:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good version also on "Treasures of Aloha" by Keoki Kahumoku and Herb Ohta Jr. Unless I'm not remembering, I think Keoki also plays it on the opening of his second instructional video (maybe not).
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2020 :  07:17:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jcraft1,
I'm a SD resident. Sent you an email.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly