Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Some new folks want to join, Admins....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2021 :  09:50:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some folks mentioned on Facebook that they wanted to join Taropatch, but never got a response....

Put da "pila" back in "Kanikapila"

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2021 :  4:08:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry all. I'm making my way through the sign ups.

No admin lately for the forum. Thanks for people reaching out. It's great to see some activity here. How is everyone?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

rleach
Akahai

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2021 :  06:20:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Big Mahalo to Maliko and Andy for us new kids.

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2021 :  06:55:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Constantly lurking, Andy!
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2021 :  07:13:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Y drop in every day. The silence, as they say, is deafening!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2021 :  08:38:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I look in most days, and I'm doing well. My interest in Hawaiian music remains strong. But I only post when there is something salient to say. It *has* been awfully quiet of late.

Mahalo to Andy for keeping the lights on.
Go to Top of Page

rleach
Akahai

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2021 :  02:05:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Earl. I am new to the forum and will try and be fairly active. I'll let people know how I am progressing and what sticking points I have and anything else that I feel might be interesting. I have been playing this style for 10 months now and it's the only genre that I am practicing right now. Ron
quote:
Originally posted by Earl

I look in most days, and I'm doing well. My interest in Hawaiian music remains strong. But I only post when there is something salient to say. It *has* been awfully quiet of late.

Mahalo to Andy for keeping the lights on.

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2021 :  08:08:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
rl,
I have found that the Ozzie book (especially) and his DVD's give a tremendous base of fundamentals. As I learn more songs and more about ki hoalu from other sources, it is amazing how often I say to myself, "wow, that is just like ____ from the Ozzie book". Not everyone is comfortable learning from a CD and tablature, but it works for me. The DVD's work for those who are more visual learners and want to see how it's done.

I spent a large part of one vacation to Kauai with the book and a portable CD player, sitting in the shade by the hotel pool working through several songs. My wife got sick from the flight from the mainland and we could not do many of the things we had planned right away. But I had a guitar, a portable CD player, and the book.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2021 :  08:15:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In particular I like the Guitar Workshop videos too. (www.theguitarworkshop.com) They shoot from up above the player, so you look down on their left hand on the fret board, more like the player view of your own left hand. No one else films like that, but should. Split screens help by showing the more conventional "front" view too. I now own most of their titles, including the blues guitar DVD's.
Go to Top of Page

rleach
Akahai

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2021 :  10:52:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Earl.

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2021 :  8:26:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iʻm still in the process of moving, but things are widning up, and my lurkness index here will improve. Welcome new players!

Go to Top of Page

rleach
Akahai

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2021 :  11:11:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcome Mark. Very descriptive " the lurkness index " . I like it.

Ron Leach
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2021 :  12:11:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maliko, we are coming over your way next week. While our time is limited by the event that brings us there, a visit with Neeej would be great, assuming that she's up for it. I never got your email, btw.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2021 :  07:02:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Earl! Don't forget me and Thmbstruck!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2021 :  08:30:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My wife is attending a flute workshop THU-SUN in Marysville, and I'm tagging along. She will be fully occupied with that, but I have some free time. We hope to get together with Neej - and whoever else might work out schedule-wise - before we head back to Boise first thing Monday morning SEP 20. My email is: noisebuster <at> hotmail.com if you want to reach out. I plan to call Neej in the next day or two and see what her availability might be.

I'm open to suggestions on where/how/when.
Go to Top of Page

Maliko
Lokahi

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2021 :  5:55:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Earl,
I sent you an email....
--Maliko

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic