Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Slacking off....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2023 :  06:02:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
...so to speak. I'm in the middle of a trial set of Elixir strings and mostly playing my standard tuning repertoire this month. Tuning a string up and down repeatedly quickly kills the tone and would skew the test results, so I've avoided that. Plus my limited play time is focused on logging hours on this test set. Tonight will be a two-hour bluegrass jam. At the end of the month it will be a treat to go back to my slack key songs in various tunings.

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2023 :  07:09:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you test driving these for Elixir, or for your own observations?
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2023 :  4:52:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are testing strings, I've used Elixir Phosphor Bronze Lights and Mediums on 11 different Taylor guitars(Only have 2 now, Grand Concert and GS mini; ). I've standardized on HD lights to avoid the hassle of getting used to different gauges. I don't play professionally, but I play every day and I only feel the need to change strings twice a year. I've tried other coated strings, but I always go back to Elixirs. Maybe this wasn't the question?
Go to Top of Page

12toneman
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2023 :  05:46:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was hardcore Elixir for years, but recently I tried the D'Addario XS and I love those. (always on OOO-18) Ever try the XS, Terry? They have a bit more snap than Nanos.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2023 :  06:02:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am on a list with Elixir and they send me experimental strings to test once or twice a year. (No idea how I got on their list, and when they send inquiries I don't always get chosen). This test is: play them for a month, log your play time daily, remove the strings without cutting off the windings at the post, and mail them back in the postage-paid envelope, which is a little different. Usually they just say to keep the strings and respond to a survey with comments.

I use Elixir on several guitars and generally like them. Some other flavors of strings get used mostly on guitars where I might be tuning up and down, as in slack key. Tuning a string up and down repeatedly kills its overtones in a day or two, not months. That seems like a waste of expensive coated strings. Normally I use Nanoweb PB's in light gauge or medium-light (heavy bass, light trebles). This is a 53-12 light gauge set and appears to be 80/20 not phosphor bronze. It would skew the comments to put them in alternate tunings and kill their tone life prematurely.

I keep one guitar dedicated to alternate tunings with uncoated strings (D'Addario EJ-17 medium or EJ-16 light) but feel compelled to log most of the play hours *this* month on that test set of Elixir strings. I also use GHS White Bronze nickel strings on some guitars as they last nearly as long as coated strings for me, at less than half the price. I have dabbled with other string gauges and alloys, but those are my go-to sets.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2023 :  4:31:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've tried D'addarios, but not for a while. Never liked them; I thought they were more squeaky than Elixirs. Almost no one hears me play anymore, so I'm not interested in changing my comfort zone. It used to be that Elixir "G" strings would routinely break with regular up/down tuning. I used to have a whole bunch of string sets with G strings missing. Not a problem for years, at least for me. I still have some old John Pearse sets that I started with 20 years ago. I think the unwound strings are still good. Jeff Peterson uses D'addarios. I use D'addario nylons for my Taylor Nylon guitar.

Edited by - chunky monkey on 01/20/2023 4:35:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2023 :  06:32:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I never had that breakage problem with Elixir g-strings, but have heard the story before from others. D'Adarrio EJ's do squeak for me, but I work around it. I'm a cheapskate and don't want to prematurely kill the tone of more expensive coated strings by tuning up and down. I keep a couple of sets of Polyweb's on hand for rare recording sessions. They don't squeak as much as Nanoweb's and sound better on "tape", but I prefer the feel of the Nano's generally.

I have quite a bunch of strings on hand of different types beyond my usual go-to brands mentioned above. I bought a semi-custom carbon fiber guitar three years ago and it turned out incredibly bright and harsh, even compared to the nearly identical stock model from that builder that I still own and love. (I was just after a shorter scale length for playing comfort). I went through ten different string types -- and other gyrations -- trying to find an acceptably mellower tone before sending it back in disgust. I naively thought that two carbon fiber guitars *literally* coming out of the same mold would sound similar, but boy was I wrong! They must have changed something about the CF layup, or????
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2023 :  07:50:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've found that string noise is somewhat dependent on body composition and size. I have the same strings on my Taylor 522ce-12 fret (grand concert) and my Taylor GS-mini. Both are mahogany, but the GS-mini is really noisy. Could be the scale length (24.5 vs 23.8), could be the finish (glossy vs matte) could be lots of things. I just have to work harder on the GS-mini to keep the string noise down
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2023 :  10:36:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
String "noise" is proof that a real person is playing a real instrument, not a synthesizer - like hearing someone breathe in between sentences. No stress, jus' press, alla way down.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000