Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 The Walking Song
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2023 :  07:28:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been working on a somewhat tricky medley and I'm trying to get an accurate version of "Opihi Moemoe" under my fingers. As a result I haven't done any video clips for some time. So I pulled out a tune I can actually play and shot a solo version of "Hele Wawae," a Ledward original that I've recorded on our duet CD and in a duet video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVYr2hMlRr8

This is definitely one of those "play it from the heart" tunes, Led comes up with a new path through the verses every time so I try to do the same. Check the description for this clip for some links to other versions of the song by a couple of other performers.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2023 :  12:03:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was too good, Fran. BTW, when you coming back Seattle?
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2023 :  07:27:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok Fran. Now I have to burn all of my guitars. As always, an inspiration.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2023 :  07:45:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

Was too good, Fran. BTW, when you coming back Seattle?

I love visiting the northwest but Lynnie has already filled the travel calendar for the year, our buddies with babies have moved to Denver and that's all she can think about.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2023 :  07:54:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chunky monkey

Ok Fran. Now I have to burn all of my guitars. As always, an inspiration.

Have you fooled around with this one, Terry? I'm sure you have all the licks under your fingers already, just gotta line 'em up. Maybe check the other versions out there on YouTube, 'cause trying to catch what Led is doing changes every time, can cause a slight headbang.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2023 :  11:15:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's on my todo list. My playlist always includes stuff you've posted.
Go to Top of Page

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2023 :  8:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fran,

Beautiful job as always. Truly sounds terrific!

I just love that one fret partial barre slide. Sounds so cool.

Thank you for sharing and please let me know if your travel plans include Oahu. We just moved back for good this time!

-Lance

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2023 :  07:14:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fran, I do Mele Wawae. Pretty cool. Lots of room for improv. One thing Led (and you) do best is making simple taropatch licks sound interesting. I was looking at some of your other tutorials, in particular the one you did for Kaula Ili. I'd never heard the anecdote about the song being about a hanging, so I looked it up. Sure enough, something like 6 verses with lots of kauna (or more accurately, play on words) making a lot more sense than some guy falling in a lava tube. I guess the real question is how did the lava tube story get started? Maybe more acceptable (less maudlin)? I never thought Sonny's description made sense with just two verses. Good stuff, though.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2023 :  07:24:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh, Monkey, I've heard it both ways from "local" folks here in WA. I've heard both stories. No newspaper, no film at 11, jus' da mele.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000