Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 "Pua Sadinia" like Uncle Ray
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2023 :  06:58:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My way into Hawaiian music was guided hugely by Dancing Cat and George Winston. As a result I was rather late in discovering artists like Peter Moon, Sunday Manoa, and many others. When Uncle Raymond Kane said he was the composer of "Pua Sadinia" I accepted it and worked diligently at learning his arrangement.

Since then I've learned that the composer was David Nape and that Uncle Ray's melody is an interpretation, a close approximation with liberties. Heck, I even discovered a George Winston piano arrangement! So I've started to work out an arrangement that stays a bit closer to the original melody. In the meantime I shot a clip based on Uncle Ray's version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezgrXoq9z6U

It looks like The Guitar Workshop is gone, the URL is up for sale, but I was lucky enough to snag a copy of their Ray Kane instructional video and that's my main source for learning this arrangement. I think a lot of the material on that DVD is up on YouTube now.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2023 :  5:55:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice Fran!
Hard to think of anyone who could milk every drop of sweetness and then some out of a simple tune better than Uncle Ray. Didn't realize TGW was goa, they had some good Slack Key, Ukulele instruction DVDs.

Lee
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000