Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 After many many years ...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2023 :  07:04:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lynn and I were visiting Hawai`i Island around 2003 or so, probably getting a discount for listening to a timeshare pitch, I think it was the Haupuna Prince or somewhere out that way. I was noodling out on the balcony when the local guys on the balcony above started asking me about my playing, where I was from, how I learned. California, Ozzie book and Patrick Landeza. Then asked if I could play "`Opihi Moemoe." Umm, no, 'fraid not. Conversation over.

Ever since then I would get started trying to figure out Uncle Leonard's great piece ... and give up. Even found a copy of the original "Slack Key Instruction Book" but that tab was impenetrable to me. But this past year I assigned myself the duty, try every day, one bar at a time, slow it down in REAPER, loop it over and over. After only three months of grinding it out we get this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM4xNp-gWao

Not quite note for note, but then Uncle Leonard changed 'em up here and there. Now I just need a few more months of practice to get up to the speed and smoothness of the original, then I have to go find those guys on the Big Island and show 'em (grin).

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2023 :  2:02:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope them guys see your video!
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2023 :  3:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The hardest part of playing Opihi Moe Moe is doing it the way Leonard Kwan did it originally. I've also tried, unsuccessfully, to decipher his original tab from the "Red Book". Lots easier to watch Led or anyone else, if fact, or make it up as you go along. Nice to know Fran is human like the rest of us. BTW, Fran, are the sound proofing panels in the recording room at your place? Thanks for staying around on the TP.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2023 :  07:16:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chunky monkey

...BTW, Fran, are the sound proofing panels in the recording room at your place?...

Right, Brass Toucan Studio also known as upstairs. I cobbled together the panels out of Owens Corning 703 and the cheapest burlap I could find. No frames, just wrapped. The ceiling height is 8' so 2'x4' panels are can be wedged in to be self-supporting. A few years ago I had about 6 of them hung from the ceiling but we took those down when we repainted and I just spread them around the room.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2023 :  3:03:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pretty cool. Thanks.