Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 A slack key / bass flute duet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2023 :  05:07:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This was part of my wife's flute choir recital recently, and she asked me to back her up. I should have posted this sooner. The guitar part is Keola Beamer's arrangement of Isa Lei in F Wahine tuning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kU-xuK3sxg

Bass flute is one octave lower than the regular concert C flute, and gives a wonderful rich tone. This second video is a piece with more of the choir playing alto, bass, and contra bass flutes. Yes, that contra bass is 6½ feet tall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVFr_Ldz93A

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2023 :  05:51:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job Earl. I never heard a bass flute before, but it really adds to the mele. My guitars like Taro Patch F; I played my version of Isa Lei along with the video and it was pretty cool. Thanks for posting.

Edited by - chunky monkey on 05/15/2023 05:53:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2023 :  06:42:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great sound, nicely done!
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2023 :  11:43:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mahalos! I normally play a bit louder and more boldly, but my purpose was backup to the wonderful flute. FYI, you have heard at least one alto flute before -- the flute solo in the middle of "California Dreaming" was an alto flute, a half octave between concert flute and bass flute. That solo works ever better on a bass flute.

Chunky Monkey: There are several tunes that I play both in Taropatch and F Wahine tuning. They were the result of an extended layover on a flying trip in my plane. Three days of weather delay in Whitehorse, Yukon is a LONG time, and I was really glad to have a guitar with me. I sometimes switch from F Wahine directly to Taropatch F. Uncle George Kahumoku's instructional DVD with Taropatch F tunes is fun too (if it still in print).

Edited by - Earl on 05/15/2023 11:45:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2023 :  12:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interestingly, when I heard Keola's version (It may be in an instructional book of his (not sure)), my first thought was since I'm already playing in F, why not adapt it? Worked for me. I've always struggled with his tunings.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2023 :  4:53:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been able to study with Keola three times at Aloha Camp, and worked through this song from his book, "Keola Beamer Teaches Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar". I first thought it was his old Homespun instructional video, which I also wore out. I always try to figure out multiple mele to play in a given tuning to maximize its use.

The one that still puzzles me is John Keawe's "Hawaii's Hope" which is a great song in CGEGCe tuning, and fun to play. That is an unusual variation of Open C (CDCGCe) and I have not found (or worked out, or composed) anything else in that tuning. Any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2023 :  05:05:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think CGEGCE is called "Atta's C". Uncle Cyril P used it a lot. I once asked Cyril why he used this instead of using another C tuning like Open D tuned down one step. He didn't have an answer other than Gabby and Atta used it and taught it to him. If I remember correctly, John Keawe's version of Hawaii's Hope is tuned down to Bb, at least on his instructional video. Many years ago, Reid Kaplan posted a "tome" on the Taro Patch for this tuning including the open and closed 6th and 3rd intervals and the common chord forms. I probably have it somewhere. I never did much in this tuning because, as you stated, to make it work you have to build a repertoire that you can play.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2023 :  06:13:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is helpful, mahalo. I'll start looking for more Gabby and Cyril and Atta tunes to begin working on.

When John taught Hawaii's Hope at AMC, it was in Bb. But I play it in that C tuning because it is a little less work to get there. Sonny Lm also taught some Bb tunes, and I converted those to C as well. I remember Reid and Sarah from my first AMC in 2006. Yikes, that has been a while. Sarah and I dids a duet on one tune, probably one of Keola's.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2023 :  04:25:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I find that piece on Atta's C that Reid posted I could email it to you if you want. At the time I thought it was pretty well done and expressive, although I wasn't experienced enough then to do much with it. I hear from Reid and Sarah at Christmas. Reid doesn't play anymore, but I think Sarah dabbles and I know she does rigorous Hawaiian language stuff. Boy! that was 16 or 17 years ago.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2023 :  06:26:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please send it along if you find it, but don't expend much effort to find it. Much appreciated. My email is "noisebuster @ hotmail.com". I still have not had any free time to research Atta's songs, not being retired. Plus I am doing double duty for the popoki while my wife is out of town for several days. The kitties get really concerned when their normal staff is down to only one.

I had heard that Reid was no longer playing. Good to hear that Sarah is still playing ki hoalu some and working the Hawaiian language. I miss going to AMC, but I no longer fly commercial airlines for ANY reason - even that wonderful one.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2023 :  06:57:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Big fun, Earl, thanks for posting. How did this flute ensemble come together?

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2023 :  09:58:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mahalo, Fran. My wife has been a serious flute player since childhood and was interested in the "flute choir" concept for years before she retired. The galvanizing event was a person moving here from Florida last year that had been heavily involved in directing flute choirs there. The Boise choir has about 20 active members now. This was their first official member recital, rather than a formal classically oriented concert. It gave members the chance to have accompaniment. There is also a second choir that has maybe a dozen members, and is affiliated with a small symphony in the next county. She plays in that one too. And she can play some slack-key in taro patch too. What a gal!

We play several slack-key pieces together, but I have been remiss in committing anything to video. I'm equally remiss in recording anything -- the process just takes too much time for a guy who is not yet retired. (I'm sure that you understand, given the quantity and quality of your postings). We actually play a fair amount together, mostly classic rock and the 70's era singer-songwriter stuff that I like on guitar. She does a great job with the flute parts on "California Dreaming" and "Nights in White Satin", among others. The bass flute is like having Ella Fitzgerald as a backup singer.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2023 :  06:25:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I mentioned Reid Kaplan's description of Atta's C to Earl, but I can't find my copy. Imagine losing that over 20 years; I think it was that long ago that he posted it. Anyone else still around that has a copy of that treatise?
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2023 :  09:08:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I appreciate the effort. But do not expend much effort doing *my* homework for me, unless it is really easy to find. The biggest thing was the clue given -- Atta's C and Gabby tunes. I'll pursue it from here.
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
502 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2023 :  10:46:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Found it here: http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=1055
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2023 :  05:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Earl for finding this; I searched for an hour and couldn't find it. The tragedy here is that the TP used to be such an amazing place for information and guidance. This description of Atta's C was a common product of the interaction. Such a loss. I just hope the current "regulars" stick around. I've been a member since 2002 and have played for almost that long. Still, I regularly learn something from the guys who do post.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000