Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Mark Nelson: The Water Is Wide
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2003 :  9:07:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Mark Nelson
The Water Is Wide
Acme Arts 2003

Those who visit Taropatch.net should be no stranger to Mark Nelson, frequent poster here, Aloha Music Camp administrator, musician, and teacher.

The Water Is Wide takes the listener on a musical journey that explores Hawaiian, Celtic, country blues, and other finger style traditions. This exploration of different styles, bound by Mark's love for arranging, composing and performing Hawaiian slack key, not only exposes the listener to varying styles but reminds us that these varying styles are still related musical cousins.

Ever listen to a slack key instrumental CD and it's so nahenahe that each track starts sounding like the next? I don't think that will happen to you with The Water Is Wide. Whether listening to the more traditional sounding The Road To Duke's House or more uniquely Mark `Opihi Blues (a loose interpretation of Leonard Kwan's `Opihi Moemoe featuring slide), the listener gets an earful of nahenahe music full of varying interest. Any Taropatch.net members recognize Duke? One of my goals is to listen to this track while actually heading out to Duke's house.

Depending on your perspective, the "nahenahe strains of ki ho`alu meets the sweet sound of the dulcimer" can be viewed as creatively expanding the boundries of slack key or just plain blasphemous to the pure traditionalist. In my opinion, this creative mix of international instruments (guitar, bass, hummel, viola da gamba, `ukulele, recorder, dulcimer, whistle, keyboard, violin, percussion) results in nahenahe music that comes from the heart. What more can a slack key fan ask for? And you get so much more!

For more info, visit Mark Nelson's website: www.mark-o.com

Ps. Thank you Mark for your patience and to all those who have waited for my almost 6 month review turnaround time. Yikes - that is embarrassing to see in print!

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2003 :  9:48:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Hey Andy, you're the admin...just backdate the "Posted" date 6 months!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2003 :  02:53:55 AM  Show Profile
There is a nice review of this CD in the latest Acoustic Guitar mag.
Mahalo, Mark for an outstanding album!!

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2003 :  2:36:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Thank you Mark for your patience and to all those who have waited for my almost 6 month review turnaround time.

No worries, Andy. It took me almost ten years to get around to recording it!

Mahalo from the bottom of my heart for the sweet words. A boy couldn't want a better Christmas present!

Anyone interested in hearing audio clips can go here: http://www.cdbaby.com/marknelson/.

Individual songs are available for purchase at most on-line stores. Wot a woild.

All the best wishes for a delightful and music-filled New Year.

yr pal,

Mark `Oma`oma`o
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000