Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Videos
 Slack Key Your Own Way
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lat21north
Aloha

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2004 :  10:09:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha kakou,

Optimistically, I thought that after a couple of weeks with Raymond Stovich's new video tape, I could give people an recap of the content. But this is one long tape--lots of material and now after three weeks, here is a first attempt at describing his video number one.

Raymond states that this video is for players who have moved through a few of Ozzie's songs. That is where I am, and the fit was perfect. I would however, have benefited by paying attention to some of the video's emphasis before even opening Ozzie's book; then use the book for a while and see the video later.

The video format is a nice, relaxed teaching style. Video quality is better than home made, but not equal to the current pro DVDs from other major slack key artists. My copy had a lot of crosstalk audio, like a commercial broadcast station, in the background. Not a problem for someone who listens to Oahu FM from south Maui, but a purist might object.

Raymond takes the student through a very measured series of basics, up to playing some songs. The level of active work required by the student accelerates further into the tape. In many cases, you have to figure out for yourself exactly how to get to the step he is demonstrating. Doesn't take long, and forces you to think, experiment and learn.

While I wish I had grown up with an uncle playing ki ho 'alu on the porch, this style of instuction that video technology offers is maybe next most reasonable. Get a book, get a video--good place to be.

Aloha,

Bill
Healdsburg

E holo mua
Bill
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000