Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Videos
 Raymond Kane: Learn to Play Ki ho`alu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2002 :  12:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2002 :  4:58:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A LITTLE HISTORY:

Elodia Kane told me that this video was originally made for a student of Raymond's who couldn't make it to the Kane home for lessons but who wanted something he could study from. A friend with a video recording studio owed the student a favor, so the student asked Raymond if he'd come over to the studio and play a few songs. Raymond agreed, spent two hours in the studio and this video is the slightly edited result.

Although the video was originally intended for the student's private use, he eventually gave Raymond the master tapes as a gift and the Kanes have been marketing it ever since.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  9:06:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Craig,

Do you think beginners would benefit from this video?
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  11:24:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hans,
Not Craig, but ...
This is definitely a video every slack key player should have.
If you are just beginning, it will not be as useful as some other material because it depends upon "look & learn" style of instruction.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2003 :  12:39:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Raymond! I'll probably acquire it much later in my studies then.

Will be sending you an email tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2003 :  01:59:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with Raymond...if it came with tablature it would be a lot more accessible to the beginner, but at this point in time it doesn't. I personally think it's worth getting at any point in your studies just to sit and watch Ray play. I would also recommend you pick up a copy of "Ki Ho`alu: That's Slack Key Guitar", a documentary on slack key that focuses primarily on Ray but also includes a lot of the other greats including Sonny Chillingworth, Leonard Kwan (I think), Ledward Ka`apana, and others.

As far as video instruction is concerned, the best bets for beginners are Patrick Landeza's new DVD and Keoki Kahumoku's soon-to-be-released DVD, both from Lamb productions. Contact Patrick via email (he's TaroPatch member hwnslacker) for information on ordering a copy of his, which teaches 5 songs (3 of which are definitely accessible to beginners).

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2003 :  09:45:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This video is not so much a "lesson" per se. Uncle Ray does not tell you, "put your first finger on the 3rd string, etc." The video is a fantastic opportunity to watch uncle play lots of songs up close. Whether it's smooth slides, a light touch, right hand brush technique, in my opinion, students will learn from this video regardless of skill level.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2003 :  1:31:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is also entertaining and inspiring. I go back to it every once in a while just to see how it is really done. As Andy said, his smoothness and light touch is magic to watch. He is a big man, yet his delicacy reminds me of a finger ballet. Even if I can't do it properly, it is something to strive toward.

Also, as with any material recorded by a kupuna (or slack key artists in general :-(, it may not be available in the future when you think you are really ready to learn the techniques. Get it while you can.

...Reid

...R
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2003 :  2:18:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point Reid.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2004 :  12:12:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
FYI, Bruce Lamb's production company has just re-released this video on DVD. Looks to me to be the same as the VHS original except with DVD advantages: title menu, clear track/song titles, etc. Mahalo Bruce!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2004 :  06:51:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Picked up the DVD version of this from Bruce Lamb: fast, simple, and reasonable shipping/handling--a real class act.

Would like to add my recommendation to anyone who doesn't already own it--and even if you do, the DVD is real nice for this sort of thing.

Couple of comments on the material itself.

I liked it best of all the other stuff of this type that I have seen. But that's not really saying much, as I haven't seen all that many 'teaching' videos. The master just plays and talks story; you watch, listen, follow, and try to straggle along and pick up whatever you can. Hawaiian style.

Probably the best point is that Raymond's guitar is tuned to pitch, unlike most of his recordings, making it a lot easier to play along.

The chapters on the DVD make it real easy to just throw it into repeat mode and really drive everyone around you pupule with 1,000 renditions of Ulupalakua...

The DVD is region-free, so no problem for those living in other areas.

-dean
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2004 :  7:39:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To all,
Just a note on another source of video instruction I have stumbled upon through this forum.. Since I first started posting in February, I have been asking for help with lessons here in North pole Alaska. Well, wouldn't you know it, i must be the only nut up here playing this music, so i have had to resort to begging from you americans. As luck would have it, Raymond Stovich has recently come up with his personal solution to the probelm; his own instructional video! As yo all know, Raymond is a great resource and is intensly interested in all things relating to Hawaiian music, as seen from his replying to nearly every topic imaginable!
I am not sure if he did this series of videos in response to my inquiry, or if he had it in the pot, stewing, readying it to serve up, but, after reviewing the first installment (there are to be 3 or 4 tapes total), I would recommend it to any beginner and it could probably help most of us at any level of play. This is no polished studio deal, yo get to see and hear Raymond, warts and all. Makes some mistakes, which makes me feel better (isn't it hard watching these guys who never seem to screw up At all???), but his renditions are simple, unadorned, easy to follow, and the tab he supplies, (done by Craig patchett, another great resource for anything) is nicely done and accurate. Just got the second volume today, will report back on that, as well.
Karl

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2004 :  8:41:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Karl,
I originally put the tape together just for you, then decided to make copies available to others who may benefit from it.
I thought a lot about whether or not to redo it with better editing -- get the mistakes out, but I decided to leave them in precisely because I think perfectionism is perhaps the biggest hindrance to learning and enjoying music. I'm nowhere near the league of Uncle Raymond, but I learned because people passed on to me what they learned, and I'm happy to do the same.

(On another topic -- I think that recording companies have generally done music a serious dis-service by over engineering the recordings -- I still treasure some of my very early 78 rpm piano recordings, in spite of errors.) In fact, hearing Rubenstein make a mistake made it a lot easier for me to practice. But we've discussed this a before.)

Edited by - RJS on 06/02/2004 8:59:41 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000