Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Taropatch CD set 2005
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  4:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
The year is more than half over and no one has brought this up, so I think it's time to do something....
It's time to record and gather music for the 2005 Taropatch CD set!

Copied (with some minor modifications) from Craig Patchett's previous entry rules and regulations, here's how it works:

1. Record yourself playing any Hawaiian/Hawaiian-influenced slack key/guitar/ukulele/whatever song(s) you choose. Vocals are fine as long as you can sing without scaring the cat/dog/hamster/fish/neighbors. Perfection is completely optional and heartily discouraged. Aloha is required. Background sounds are fine (as long as they're not a reaction to the vocals). If you aren't set up to record then ask here...someone will most likely be able to offer advice, record it for you, or help in some other way. (You can get by with a cheap computer program and simple microphone if you have to.
2. Send me a CD/MP3 file/WAV file/AIFF file. If it's an obscure format check with me first. I have high speed internet, so I can handle most emails, but try to keep it under 10 mb when you send it via email. If it's over 10 mb, I'd prefer you burn it to a CD.
3. Include the following information for the liner notes with each song you submit (or send in a separate email if you like):

Name of song
Original songwriter (if known)
Your name (and taropatch.net user id)
A photo of yourself (optional but nice)
Tuning(s) used for the song
What instrument(s) you played for the song
How the song was recorded, including pickup/mic/effects used
A little about yourself, including:
- How long you've played guitar
- How long you've played slack key
- Why you picked this song to submit

4. If it's an original song, is in the public domain, or you have the permission of the copyright holder, the song may be eligible for posting on the TaroPatch SoundClick page so everyone can listen to it. Otherwise it's only going to go only on the CD (see below).

5. Indicate if you would like a CD set. Send US$5 to cover the material costs of your copy.

6. This year, I'm putting on an arbitrary limit of two songs per person. I'll try to keep it to two CDs like last year, but if there are more folks, we'll have more.

As with last year, you will only get a copy of the CD (or CDs if there are enough songs) if you contribute to it. This avoids potential copyright issues and means you're only baring your soul to those who have dared to bare theirs! If you indicate that your song can be shared with everyone (it must be an original song, be in the public domain, or you have the permission of the copyright holder), however, then it will be made available for listening and download from the TaroPatch SoundClick page in addition to appearing on the CD.

Not as much advanced notice this year...drop deadline is *9/1/04 (see below) but I will accept contributions starting immediately.

DEADLINE CHANGED TO 10/1/05 TO GIVE MORE TIME TO THOSE WHO ALREADY HAVE A FULL SUMMER PLANNED!

Reasons to partcipate:
1. Impress your Taropatch friends
2. Get the CD (only contributors can get it)
3. Tell your coworkers you "have a CD coming out."
4. Share aloha
5. Be a part of something big!

Any questions? Ask here or click on my member name to send email. Mahalo!

Jesse Tinsley
849 Centennial Ct.
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814

Edited by - hapakid on 07/10/2005 05:52:50 AM

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  4:57:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Jesse,

Thanks so much for volunteering to do this and motivating us. It's so much time but I personally never feel that I have the time to put this together so mahalo! Hearing everyone play is such a cool supplement to reading everyone's posts here. I encourage all to participate. Even if your singing scares your pet, don't let that stop you. Maybe your pet has poor taste in music and your fellow Taropatchers would disagree! Only one way to find out.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  04:00:39 AM  Show Profile
Jesse,

You had to know that what I am about to lay on you would come up:

Please move the deadline back to 10/1.

July and August are nearly totally accounted for already (lots of travel) and it is a *bear* to record when it is 90 deg. and 90% RH in your recording room (unless the A/C drowns everything else out).

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  05:33:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Reid,
I agree with you that most people have a busy summer planned. I just want to get it produced while it is still 2005!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  05:44:41 AM  Show Profile
Sure Jesse, but is that a yes or a no :-)?

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  05:50:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
YES! Let's make it 10/1 as a new deadline.
It's a good idea. I'll update my initial post...
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  07:48:16 AM  Show Profile
Bless you Jesse. Especially since your decision made it unnecessary for me to debase myself by paraphrasing Spike Lee in "She's Gotta Have It", as:

"Please Jesse, Please Jesse, Please Jesse, Please!"

(Spike used "Baby", of course, and was much funnier.)

You will get 2 Sarah originals.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  08:53:54 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo for stepping up to do the CD, Jesse. We missed you at Kahumoku Kamp this year!

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  08:55:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
We are looking forward to hearing from Sarah!
Anyone else planning to submit a song, but think you may be at or near the deadline because it's a busy summer, please let me know that you're working on a submission so I can compile a list of potential songs. That'll indicate how many CDs might be required for the project and I can plan accordingly.
Thanks!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  08:57:03 AM  Show Profile
Oops, just missed you post. I'll submit one or two songs.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  10:23:56 AM  Show Profile
Jesse,
Thanks for doping this. I'll certainly contribute -- and I want to encourage all folks to contribute -- even if you are "just a beginner." -- In previous 2 sets, it was really fun to hear the wide range of talent, and to be able to connect monikers with faces.
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  10:39:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Think I'll give it a go as well this year.

Edited by - Ianui on 07/10/2005 10:39:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  11:24:35 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Aloha Jesse,
Put me down for one.

Ross
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  1:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Thanks everybody! (Names with asterixes have submitted songs)
Here's the (impressive)lineup of players so far:
Sarah W. (Sarah)*
Terry (Chunky Monkey)*
Dusty (wdf)*
Raymond (RJS)
Jim Cramer (JimC)
Don N. (Ia Nui)*
Ross (Rossasaurus)*
Me (hapakid)*
Keith (Marzullo)*
Fran Guidry*
Ilio Nui (Dave Nye)*
Jean (neeej)*
Lawrence*
Lawrence and group*
Cynthia (Pulelehua)*
Karl Monetti*
Russell Letson (Rletson)
Ki ho'alu Kid
Mark E. (eisensta)*
Jerry (jlsulle)*
Gordon (Kapila Kane)*
Andy (admin)
Peter (bwop)*
Aki (from Japan!)*
Mike (cmdrpiffle)
Bing*
Rick (rhnelson)*
Cathe (catheglass)
Gary (Gary A)
Leonard Rumery (Leonard)*
Gregg (Retro)*
Steven (Kiwini)
Bill Campbell*
Hollis Landrum (bluzdulcimer)*
Kory Tideman (Thumbstruck)*
Pekelo
Ray Sowders*
Makoto (makotom)*
If there is enough interest, we may go to three CDs, but with simpler packaging, i.e., CD envelopes instead of jewel cases. I think I'd rather have more music instead of fancier packaging. Any thoughts?
Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 10/03/2005 2:34:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  1:43:37 PM  Show Profile
Jesse,

I got a couple for you. Yeah, keep it simple. Thanks for doing all this work,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  3:58:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Please count me in for one, maybe two.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000