Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Seattle-area experiment
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 74

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  8:03:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping that having a regularly-scheduled kanikapila---same time, same place---every month will get things going. So...my hale (Bellevue, near I-90), 2nd Saturdays, 3pm till whenevahs. Contact me for address & any other info you want (NOT my VISA #!!!).Let da music roll

--Jean S

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2005 :  05:53:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds good. If can, can, if no can, no can. It's on the calendar with the other stuff. I missed Wakinikona Club's festival at Kennedy HS this year. Did anyone go?
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  08:43:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hope to make it there sometimes, too; it would be great to see some of you that I only seem to see through this forum nowadays.
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  7:11:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jean, thanks for hosting. I plan on being there! Rich

Rich Smith
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2005 :  6:08:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update: this had morphed into a kanikapotluck, this month anyway---partly to accomodate some varying schedules. (& partly 'cause food is allus `ono) But bringin' goodies not a requirement for attending---just come

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  06:19:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll try to be there about 6 or so. I have a gig in North Bend 1-5pm.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  06:59:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
MAHALO! Thanks to Jean (neeej) for hosting a wonderful event. In attendance were Gregg, Lori, Alan, Dave, Arthur, Rich, Derek, Jean, Kory, Kaya (sp?) and one or two others. The happy uking of Gregg and Lori let us play some peppier tunes like "Wahine Ilikea", "Ka Uluwehi O Ke Kai" and "Kaneohe", to which Gregg (retro) danced, in spite of our sloppy tempo. Gregg may be the only person in the northwest who's a bigger Hawaiian music geek than I am.
When Kory (Thumbstruck) arrived, he blew us away with his flying fingers on both slack key and button accordion. The man is a tornado of happy music wherever he goes. Thanks, Kory.
It was a good time (with good food).
Mahalo nui loa,
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  12:32:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
>>>Gregg may be the only person in the northwest who's a bigger Hawaiian music geek than I am. <<< Hooo, that's a mighty big title to be placing on me, Jesse! (What can I say? No one has more zeal than the convert. I've just been lucky that I could combine my love for the culture and music into lots of performance opportunities, writing, and my job.) As soon as we get pictures developed & digitized off our Luddite camera, we'll find a way to post a few.

Mahalo to everyone who was there to play, eat, talk story, etc. Especially to Jean for hosting, and Jesse for traveling so far to join us (yeah, we know you were in Renton at the time, but you still get credit for coming from Idaho.)

=Gregg=
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  1:28:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh, no fo'get da haupia ( 2 kine--regular and CHOCOLATE!) Ono grinds, great folks, Thanks again, Jean-Neeej. It's good to know that we aren't alone in our quest for the good tunes and tunings. (The button box was from my gig for the Austrian Club. It was HOT, had peel da lederhosen off to change.) Ki ho'alu for da blood pressure, Dr's orders. Keep on pressin'. Kory
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  6:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use "geek" as a term of art for you, Gregg. No offense intended...but how else can you explain how many Hawaiian songs we know between us, both mainlanders?
And I'm reminded of another reason to love Hawaiian music...no lederhosen!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  6:39:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo to all youse for coming---that's what made it work. I'm still purring (or whatevah na popoki do).

Gonna make the potluck a permanent part of the festivities, even though it's mighty hard on my WeightWatchering Hope to see most of you next month (da 10th)

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  2:13:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jean, thanks for hosting. I had such a great time jamming and learning from good folks! I'll miss the next one, but am practicing my chops for the October kanikapotluck! Aloha Rich.

Rich Smith
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2005 :  2:20:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Reminder for those planning to come on the 10th - you'll be just north of Bellevue Community College, where Bill Tapia will be playing that evening.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2005 :  2:53:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a couple pics from our Aug. 13 kanikapila in Bellevue at Jean's house (photos courtesy of Lori)

In the first one, Rich, left, and Derek follow along.

I (hapakid), right, try to keep up with Kory (Thumbstruck), left.

Here's me (hapakid) and Gregg (Retro) fumbling our way through a song.

Mahalos again for the fun afternoon.
Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 08/21/2005 2:54:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2005 :  3:54:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alright, wheres Jean hiding...

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2005 :  5:50:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mahalos for sharing your stories and photos! Looks like a ton of fun.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 74 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000