Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Kanikapila O'ahu
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 32

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  06:18:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Everyone,
How come we don't have any kanikapila scheduled for O'ahu? I'm new to the forum, so maybe I'm just not looking in the right place? If there are none scheduled, anyone interested?

Mahalo, Lanet ~ mom of the Abrigo Ohana

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  09:53:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ho man, if you guys get one kanikapila going then when we come back, oh the fun we can have! Lanet, you goin' make Duke's dreams come true! And Duke and Jay can teach dem keiki. Go watch SirDuke58 on You Tube. You gonna like to hear Duke and Jay.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

braddah jay
Lokahi

235 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  9:46:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Ho man, if you guys get one kanikapila going then when we come back, oh the fun we can have! Lanet, you goin' make Duke's dreams come true! And Duke and Jay can teach dem keiki. Go watch SirDuke58 on You Tube. You gonna like to hear Duke and Jay.

I think maybe da other way around,they goin teach us. Das right I seen da profile,choke songs.
Go to Top of Page

RichM
Aloha

30 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  10:24:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit RichM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if can, can

Music and Ridin'
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  10:10:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
YEAH!!

Should we just make it freestyle, or with a mentor? We could ask Led, Bobby Ingano, Chino Montero, Bobby Moderow, so many wonderful musicians that could mentor! I hesitate to make it a potluck, maybe a bring your own lunch kind of thing, yeah? That way it's not such a chore to haul food and instruments to the gathering. And maybe once a month would be good. Hmmm, any other ideas? How about a place? And shall we shoot for a weekday evening, or a weekend day? Let me know what you think and we'll get the ball rolling. There are a couple of AMAZING young slack key artists that I know would like to come too.

~Lanet
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  12:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The swell thing about kanikapila in Hawai`i is you don't need a house to have it in. Can sit anywhere and play. Meet nice peepo that way, too, like we did. Every time Paul plays outside, someone stops to wala`au.

My suggestion is just to make it fun for folks to get togeddah. No pressha. No big preparation or work where someone gonna feel put out cawz someone else not doing as much work. Jus press.

Oooh, I just thought of something else. Have them in various spots around the island, that way maybe more peepo see and take part. Then you video them, maybe Kawika can, then post on you tube so the rest of us can have fun, too, and feel like we are sharing. And we can sit in front of our computahs and play along and pretend we was there witchu guys wot we love.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 11/05/2008 12:33:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  4:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slipry1 and I will be on Oahu in the middle of January. Who knows what will happen?
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  4:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lemme know den.. February Me an my wahine stay comin. Is dat a Palin word?(comin).

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 11/06/2008 4:37:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2008 :  07:15:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha,

Thanks for all your input! So it sounds like a park setting might work best for the kanikapila. I have a really nice place in mind, I just shot off an email the Honolulu Parks and Rec to see if we can use it. Another option would be a cafe or something like that.

Would you all please help me with a guesstimate of how many people you think would come? I realize over time it will grow (hopefully), but just so I have an idea of what we're looking at. Also, what day of the week and time you think would work best for everyone?

Much Mahalo, Lanet and the Abrigo Ohana
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2008 :  09:13:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wen get music foa fun and den really good kine players start to show up it may grow into humongous proportions. Maybe even get famous li'dat. Your family is getting there you know?

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2008 :  11:34:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Lanet and welcome to Taropatch. As Braddah Duke pointed out, there aren't any "open to all comers" kanikapilas on Oahu that we were aware of--coincidentally, I asked the same question to Duke prior to my Oahu trip this past summer. Also the same with open mics. It seems hard to believe that on Oahu, with over a million people, there isn't anything organized. Or, maybe there is but we're just not "in the know."

Mahalo for your efforts in getting something started. I agree with Noeau that it could be the start of something great. Personally, I would love to sit in with you all whenever I'm in town visiting.

I am very thankful that we have several "organized" monthly kanis, along with open mics, here in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've met so many wonderful people and have learned a great deal through these get togethers. In addition, over the past few years, I've also noticed that the overall quality of the playing and singing has improved dramatically, and more and more folks are joining in. So much good fun!

Aloha,

Doug
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  1:17:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha,

You know, every time I mention to someone about a kanikapila for O'ahu, they tell me "Girl, you better put it someplace where it could grow huge!". No matter if it goes big, or stays small, it will be wonderful.

I noticed some of the CA kanikapilas are held at a cafe. We have a fabulous music cafe right up here in Wahiawa. Better still, the music store is right in the same building so it could be a one stop shop (strings, capos, tuners, ukes, guitars, etc.) and kanikapila. It's a very family friendly venue with coffee, hot cocoa, tea, pastries, sandwiches, and etc. I know the owner, and will talk to him about doing it there. If it gets too large, we could move to another location. What do you guys think?

Mahalo in advance for the feedback!

Aloha, Lanet and the Children
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  1:24:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha,

Please forgive my naivety, but what's an "open mic"? Is that when people show up and go on stage for like 15 minutes each or something? That sounds like fun too (unless you get people like my husband and I up there!).

Mahalo, Lanet and the family
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  07:19:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the past the folks at Native Books/Na Mea Hawai`i hosted a kanikapila at the Ward Center performance space. That's where we met Kimo Hussey a few years back. Perhaps the Abrigo Ohana could serve as leaders of a new series there???

And an open mic is exactly what you suggest - an event where everyone is invited to sign up and perform. I have heard of open mics on O`ahu, although I don't remember the details.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2008 :  11:02:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha,

There is an open mic night every Wednesday up at the Higher Ground Cafe in Wahiawa. Starts at 7 p.m., and each artist gets 15 minutes on stage. They will run a good quality sound recording of it for you at the cost of $20. Just spoke with them and was told the last one ran really late (got done at midnight), so they might be adding another evening of open mic. Check out their website for directions and more information.

highergroundhawaii.com

This is also the place I was considering for a kanikapila. I hope to get in and talk with Andrew about it this week. It's fabulous because the music store is just a few doors down and has really good stuff. The coffee there is wonderful too.

Aloha, Lanet and the Abrigo Ohana
Go to Top of Page

abrigoohana
Lokahi

271 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2008 :  11:54:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit abrigoohana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha!

GREAT NEWS! Just got off the phone with Andrew Kitakis who owns both Higher Ground Cafe and the fabulous music store next to it called Hawaii Music Supply. Andrew's father, Mr. John Kitakis, is the founder and owner of Ko'olau Ukulele and Guitar. Andrew has graciously offered his Cafe for our Kanikapila! He said we may have them there Saturday afternoons.

I proposed a monthly gathering there, and he kindly offered it to us weekly if we need it. Now THAT'S pono to our Hawaiian music community! Check out the websites for the Higher Ground Cafe, Hawaii Music Supply, and Ko'olau Ukulele and Guitar (GREAT repair shop there as well!):

http://highergroundhawaii.com/
www.hawaiimusicsupply.com
www.koolauukulele.com

Don't forget to check out their Open Mic Night's on Wednesdays and have your set recorded for $20. Ledward Ka'apana plays here about once or twice a month, so be sure to watch the calendar for those "must see" performances.

So, now all we have to do is pick a date! Anybody up for November 22?

Aloha, Lanet and the Abrigo Ohana
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 32 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000