Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Taropatch.net Miscellaneous
 Announcements, Feedback, Suggestions
 Forum Upgrade Completed - what's new?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2002 :  7:02:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Here are some of the new features:

Keeping Your Personal Information Secure
Many of the forum improvements are focused on security and protecting your personal information.
  • Only registered members who are logged in may view the member information pages.

• Email addresses will no longer be displayed in the member profile and have been completely removed from all coding. This has been done to eliminate the potential for Spammers to harvest emails. Members can still email each other via a "Click to send an E-Mail" link.

• You now have the option to allow or not allow other forum members to send you email. There is a Yes/No field in your profile. If you choose 'No', there is no "Click to send an E-Mail" link associated with your user name.

Email Validation
New members are required to click on a URL (emailed to them after registration) to prove that their email address is valid.
  • Validation is another security measure to make sure people are providing a valid email. It also helps catch typos during registration.

Password Encryption
All passwords are now stored in the database and cookies after they have been encrypted.
  • All passwords stored in the TaroPatch.net database are now encrypted to protect your data. Even the forum administrator cannot view your password. If you forget your password, you may click the "Forgot your Password?" link and an automated email will be sent to you.

Quick Reply
With the Quick Reply feature, a text field will appear at the bottom of the topic page allowing members to quickly post a reply without having to go to the posting page first. This is a great feature but does not allow for some of the new posting page features (see below).

Improved Posting Page
The posting page has several new features, such as:
1) Smilies are displayed on the page instead of in a pop-up window
2) New formatting options
3) Auto-insertion of the Forum Code around the selected text (Internet Explorer only)
4) JavaScript Form validation (no more loss of your post when you forget to enter the subject)

Flood Control
To prevent flooding of the forums or double posts, the Administrator has turn on Flood Control. Members must wait 30 seconds in-between posts. If (s)he posts before the Flood Control Time has elapsed, a message will be displayed to notify the member of this. This function is experimental and should eliminate accidental double posting. Please give me feedback if you find you're inconvenienced by this feature, and I can shut it off.

Sticky Topics
Administrators and Moderators can now choose to make a topic sticky. With this done, the topic will stay on the top of the topic list no matter how old it is.

Topic Sorting
Each user can now sort the topics on the forum page by a couple criteria:
1) Last Post Time
2) Topic Title
3) Topic Author
4) Number of Replies
5) Number of Views
These can be sorted in ascending or descending order, and for a specified timespan

Dynamic Signatures
With Dynamic Signatures, the user's signature is not added to the post until it is viewed, so if a person changes their signature, that change will apply to all posts made by that user. Please note that this will only apply to posts made while Dyanmic Signatures are enabled. Any signature that is already in a post won't be updated.

Jump To Last Post
On the forums' homepage and forum pages you can now find an extra icon ()to quickly jump to the last post made in a forum or topic.

Fixed a lot of bugs
Smaller bugs and bigger bugs. For example, the Preview should not have any message length limitation for longer posts.

Improved Coding
All files have been rewritten to remove unnecessary coding, convert every possible line to Response.Write syntax, add the new features and improve performance.

I hope you like the "new and improved" forum. Please report any problems or leave feedback here.

Andy

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2002 :  10:07:32 PM  Show Profile
Cool. Thanks Andy.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

dfpet
Aloha

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2002 :  12:55:20 AM  Show Profile
Andy,
Just wanted to say I am really impressed with this website. The whole set-up and the wealth of information available is mind boggling. I'm pretty new to the website, but I understand the website is fairly new too. So, congratulations on doing such a great job. And, thanks to all the contributors who post such interesting messages. Diana

Diana
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2002 :  01:10:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Diana. All the great people around here are making this a whole lot of fun.

Yes, this website was born in February 2002. Not sure where we're going, but it's one fun ride.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2002 :  12:45:55 PM  Show Profile
Andy,

Looks and works GREAT!!

Mahalo

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Popoki
Akahai

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2002 :  2:15:02 PM  Show Profile
Good work Andy - thanks. I like that the page names now show up with different titles when you have more than one window open - which I usually do.
Mahalo, >^..^<
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2002 :  9:06:34 PM  Show Profile
Andy,

I used to be able to suppress the line before my signature. I don't see that option now. I've looked in FAQ. Am I overlooking something? I'd like to get rid of it, if possible.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2002 :  01:24:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Pauline,

The line before the signture is a new feature in v3.4.xx, and I'm sorry to report that it's not configurable.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2002 :  01:41:58 AM  Show Profile
Andy,

Thanks for checking.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Maureen
Aloha

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2002 :  8:23:05 PM  Show Profile
Great site, Andy! So far, this is the most all-inclusive Slack-key site I have found. I don't know where to start. You have "cords" for different tunings, but I don't understand what they mean, with numbers on the frets, like 0-1-0-1, then the next fret says like 2-1-2-1. Keola Beamer has "tablature" with numbers like that on the bass cleff, but I don't know what they represent. I don't know where to BEGIN to learn slack-key, like where to get an explanation of what they mean by writing out the cords like that. Thanks. Your playing is great!

Me ke aloha,
Maulena
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2002 :  10:16:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the compliments Maureen and thank you for registering and posting. It sounds like you do not know how to read tablature.

Tab is notation created for guitar players who may not know how to read standard musical notation. The numbers indicate which fret to press, each of line of the staff represents a guitar string.

Check these links for more info: If you're interested in learning slack key, I would suggest checking out instructional books and videos. The books with tablature usually dedicate a page or two explaining how to read it. Where do you live? Maybe someone near by can teach you?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2003 :  2:16:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi andy,

i was wondering if the e-mail feature actually works? i have sent messages to a few people over the last month and never gotten a reply. that could be for several reasons but i then tried sending a message to myself and didn't get it...

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2003 :  2:48:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Keith,

I have received messages from people at the board so it should be working. BTW, I just emailed you a test too.

Just curious, do you have a SPAM filter set up? I know that I had emailed someone and his SPAM filter flagged the email. I'm not sure if this would be the cause or not.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  12:41:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Andy, is it possible to sort the posts within a topic in descending order of the date posted, so the newest posts appear first?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  01:13:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Unfortunately, this is not possible at the moment. Do you ever use the "jump to last post icon" ()? If you click the arrow, it should take you to the last post which is especially helpful when a thread extends beyond one page. Let me know if this helps.

I'll look in to this though. You're actually the second person to ask this question this week.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000