Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Books
 Slack Tracks with Patrick Landeza
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2005 :  5:37:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  04:40:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This is a 3 part series of audio CDs accompanied by CDROMs with tablature. They're not books, but I figured this would be the best place to post it.

Slack Tracks is a fun concept. Patrick Landeza and other professional musicians (bass & lap steel) play slack key standards so that you can kanikapila along with the band. There is a slow track and regular tempo track for you to play along with. And there are also tracks with the lead so that you can hear how Patrick played it.

If you do not have much opportunity to play with other people, slack track offers a creative way to add variety to your practicing and perhaps add some songs to your repertoire at the same time.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  05:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Andy. Anyone wanting any of the Slack Tracks can get them directly from me or from Don Narup.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  08:41:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As one of those people who don't have much of an opportunity to jam with others (except for Sarah, my talented wife, who is so far beyond me that anything I do would hold her back), Slack Tracks is a really clever way of learning how to do it. The musicians on the CDs never mind if you mess up, they don't get bored if you go over and over the same thing, they tolerate crazy fills and experimental backups, they play at the speed you are currently comfortable with. Most importantly, they play the songs you know, because Slack Tracks supplies the tabs of exactly what the lead should be - and those tabs are just about the most elegant I have ever seen (they have timing notation and they even have the kind of ties between notes that you see in Standard Notation). And, they even back you up and try to make you sound good.

Now, Sarah is really helpful and tolerant of my fumblings, so this is not a anything like a complaint, but I feel really bad taking up her time and effort. Especially since I am retired and she works. So, I can fool around with Slack Tracks when she is at work and not bother her and I can practice "in the privacy of my own living room" and concentrate on trying to improve.

Slack Tracks is unique and the product of some really smart and talented people.

Reid
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  11:48:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reid,
Your check is in the mail.
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  2:30:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey! Andy and Reid that is so good to hear, as it means we accomplished what we set out to do in making Slack Tracks. It is such a pleasure to know that Slack Tracks is being enjoyed.

On behalf of Patrick, myself, Terry, the guys in the band and Kit Madrid who made the great Tabs for us, thank you for your wonderful remarks.

I'm waiting for Andy to put a link to his recording of a Slack Track song that will be on the Taro Patch CD here on TaroPatch.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2005 :  03:48:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chunk, save your money. This wasn't a puff piece. It may sound strange that Sarah and I don't collaborate in playing. There is a reason for that: my chronic tendonitis makes me lose skill and repertoire repeatedly, until I recover enough to start practicing again. Meanwhile, she is advancing steadily into the stratosphere. Imagine a tennis pro trying to play with a guy who can't practice and stays at a low level of play - frustrating for both, right? We don't really talk about it; it is just something we understand. We do collaborate in other ways: recording, arranging, composing, editing, etc. And, she does teach me things, making tabs of etudes that she composes that I can learn from. So, a composite recording like Slack Tracks removes all the interpersonal issues.

Also, it is really interesting that Slack Tracks contains some songs that I learned elsewhere - like Ozzie's Manuela Boy, for instance. That means that I can understand how variations of a song can be constructed.

Besides, how many times do I get to play with a steel guitar player? Konabob is too far away :-). But, the steel is especially instructive, because it plays the fills that make the piece really interesting, and is kind of a voice singing harmony. That is a goal of mine, that doesn't have to be confined to a steel guitar; I can't play lead well, so I want to add something positive in the background.

As I said before, there is nothing else like it.

Reid
Go to Top of Page

chip
Aloha

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  7:34:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reid, I had tendonitis, really bad from work related use [48years] this is what helped me, if you have looked into this, now, you`ve heard it twice! If its on the outside of the elbo, lay your arm on a table palm facing to the floor, take a 2 to 5lb weight, hold in your hand & lift it up & down, with you wrist, do 3 sets of ten.or more, 3 times a day, & kneed the elbo on that bone quite hard. I f it on the inside turn your arm over palm facing up & do as above. hope this helpes. as soon as mine starts up I do this straight away & have not had any trouble, this was given to me by a chinese phyotherest. Chip
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  02:45:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Chip. I am not sure it is solely tendonitis, but tendons are involved. It seems to have a nerve component, too, as my cervical spine nerve trunks are being crushed, as well as osteoarthritis. Regardless, it is a burn that starts on the inside of my forearm and progresses into the palm side of the thumb, and the joints on the top side of the thumb into each joint. The docs don't really care to help because I am old and it is not life-threatening, so, their prescription is "Stop doing what you are doing." But, I'll give your exercise a shot.

Now, since this is OT, back to your regularly scheduled Slack Tracks thread.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

chip
Aloha

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  2:42:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back to slack tracks, I`am going to order some on line, Hope my little info helps you to play some more. Keep in touch . Chip
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000