Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Videos
 Raymond Kane: The Slack Key Secrets of Ray Kane
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2002 :  12:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Ken
Aloha

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2002 :  1:22:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ken's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HELP PLEASE! I've been trying to purchase this instructional video for years now. Does anybody have this video? I'd be happy to pay for a copy of the video and accompanying materials.
Or, if you don't want yours, I'll buy it from you.

Email me at: ken @ finestplanet.com

Mahalo,
Ken
Go to Top of Page

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2002 :  11:32:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha e Ken,

I found a copy of this tape, for a buddy of mine, on e-bay (I'll contact him when he gets back from O`ahu about making one copy).

I regularly run a search for "Slack Key" in all of e-bay, including descriptions. This gives me a list of about 30-40 items. Usually CDs, but also some instructional books an li'dat.

I'll ping you if I find it.

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2002 :  7:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The last time a copy of this showed up on eBay it went for over $100...yikes! Is anyone willing to loan me a copy? I'll transfer it to DVD, send you a copy of the DVD along with the original tape, keep a copy of the DVD for myself and send Ray a check. (The publisher still owes him money for sales of this tape so I have no problem sending money directly to Ray.)

Email me at craig @ patchett.com if you're interested.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2002 :  11:16:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just talked to Mele Kai Music and they have one copy left but don't do mail order...aargh!

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2002 :  12:02:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
there's something here called "bachi" (bad luck, what comes around goes around).
Thanks indy. I think your first post brought you a boost of good karma like nobody else before!

Personally, I prefer this video to "Slack Key Secrets" with Walter Carvalho, but if you can buy gold... go for it - good luck!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Ken
Aloha

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2003 :  1:20:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ken's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Indy: Can You buy a copy for me? I'd be happy to pay you for your time and shipping, if there is still a copy remaining at the store. I'll be donating it to the Slack Key Preservation Society.

Mahalo,
Ken

Ken Armstrong
Go to Top of Page

Turtle Song
Aloha

47 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2003 :  12:36:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, coming in late on this discussion.

Is this legal to copy?

I have the video, and if it's legal to copy, I could send it to Craig to copy on the condition that I get it back and one DVD that he makes.

Craig, you said you'd pay Ray, this is cool with him? So could others have copies too, if you made them according to that agreement?

Lemme know.

The seeds for the flowering of our personal peace are within our hopeful, but fragmented, selves. Reflection and silence compose the winds that nurture our simplicity that is the essence of beauty. - Frank Howell
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2003 :  01:11:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Is it legal to copy? If you have a copy already, yes. It is technically legal for me to copy someone else's and keep a copy for myself? No, under normal circumstances, since out of print does not mean out of copyright. But in this particular case the publisher (and copyright holder) has broken his contract with Ray by not paying him the money he is owed for sales of the video, so I have no moral problem with making a copy and sending the money (along with a copy of the DVD) to Ray. And yes, it's OK with Ray (or Elodia, anyway).

With respect to giving copies of the DVD to others, at the moment I'm only comfortable giving a copy to someone who already has the video since I have no control over whether anyone else will actually send Ray any money and this could quickly turn into a giant mess for me. So if you have the video and want the DVD, email me at craig @ patchett.com and let me know before the end of the month (email me your phone number so I can call and verify that you really do have the video). After that I'll remove the DVD master files from my computer.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 01/04/2003 02:39:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  1:28:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The video should come with a mail in card to get the tabs but seeing that the producer is no longer in business I have not sent it in. Unfortunatly, this video has an old version of macrovision copy protection which makes the quality of the picture very grainy even on the original. I am going to try and get a filter to se if it improves the picture. I felt very fortunate to find this copy still in the original packaging and price. Are there legal issues letting people borrow the original? If not I would probalby be willing to let a few people borrow it as long as it got back to me. I saw how much the last copy was sold for on ebay and I would rather have people buy the video that Ray currently has out.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2003 :  3:33:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
FWIW, this video is 68 minutes long, not 110 as advertised on the packaging.

The guy who hosts it comes across as annoying and pretentious most of the time (Ray tells him to stop playing his guitar at one point, and corrects him throughout...it's actually kind of funny to watch) but he does get a lot of useful and entertaining information out of Ray over the course of the video. (As a side note, the guy ended up taking all the money for the video and not paying Ray, so Ray's lack of tolerance for him is justified. It's also interesting to note that the guy's outfit is identical to Ray's, all the way down to the shoes!)

Bottom line...this is a good video to have if you're a big fan of Ray's and want to complete your collection, but not a must-have, especially without tablature (which does not come with the video, is no longer available, and didn't include tab for the songs in the video anyway). The camera angles make it impossible to pick up Ray's fingering and he only plays sections of some of the songs. He's in grand form though, both in terms of his playing and his personality (enthusiastic and mischievous), so if you can find it and afford it, it IS worth having.

A much better (and cheaper) bet is to pick up a copy of the "Learn to Play Ki Ho`alu" video (Ray playing through and talking about 18 songs, including half the songs from this video) from the Kanes, as well as a copy of "That's Slack Key Guitar", a great documentary film that will give you the historical perspective of slack key along with lots of Ray talking story. You'll get much more out of these two videos than you will out of "Slack Key Secrets" and you'll actually be putting some money into Ray's pocket, especially if you buy "Learn to Play Ki Ho`alu" directly from him.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 06/02/2003 8:51:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2003 :  8:48:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just out of curiosity, has anyone learned "Kealoha Medley" as presented in the tab for this video?

Craig
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2003 :  9:59:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can play Kealoha but not having the video or tab, I don't know if its Ray's arrangement.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2003 :  01:13:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dusty but I'm looking for someone who has worked out this particular medley, which consists of Kealoha, Papakolea, E Hulihuli Ho`i Mai, Mauna Loa, and Pua Makahala (spelling is from the tab). The tab is sloppy and inaccurate and I'm trying to figure out what it's supposed to be.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2003 :  6:09:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Never mind...I just realized this medley is on Ray's Punahele CD.

Craig
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000