Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Videos
 Ledward Kaapana: The Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar of
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2002 :  12:43:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2002 :  2:48:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is the video that I turned to after working through Ozzie's book. The progression seemed very natural, just the right level of advancement from Ozzie. I don't think this tape would be a good choice for someone who was a pure guitar beginner, but if you can pinch and hammer you're ready.

There's almost no overt discussion of philosophy or overview presented - just get to the tunes, kids. On the other hand, Ledward's playing demonstrates a deep philosophy - have fun, play with feeling, let the ideas flow so the music is new each time it's played. I'm still going back to this tape to absorb the spirit along with the licks.

The first tune, "Slack Key Lullaby," is technically simple but very rewarding, with lots of room for personal touches and a melody that really draws people in. I put "E Lili`u E" on my home-made CD and most people identify it as their favorite piece even though it's amazingly simple.

I feel like Ledward was very generous to share so much of his musical knowledge on this tape.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2002 :  2:46:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This really is a great tape. I found that being able to watch Led play really helped me get away from the tablature (always my first goal).

The format of the tape is interesting. Bob Brozman tosses out leading questions and observations. In one way it was nice because it gave it a very unscripted, talk-story kine feel; but I kept having the feeling that Led was very uncomfortable on camera. When you see him live, especially at some intimate setting like some Waikiki poolside bar, he is just so relaxed. Here he just seemed a little nervous when talking - no problem when he got playing though!

As Fran said, this is a nice progression from Ozzie's book. Slack Key Lullabye is sooooo sweet, and it really lends itself to exploration - 'filling in da spaces' as Led put it.

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.
Go to Top of Page

Jake Provonsha
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2002 :  5:44:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys are right! This video is a perfect next step from Ozzie's book. Once you learn E Lili'u E you can jam with Led and Bob and just have a blast. It is also great to see how Led differs in his version of Kuu Ipo Onaona on the performance video that he does with Bob Brozman; bet he never plays it quite the same, eh. I did have a bit of a problem with the tab on the G wahine song, so I just went to the Mark Hanson book, Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar and worked on Punahele by Raymond Kane for a similar G wahine tune. The tabulature was very exact (for me it is still a work in progress). Wish Led would do another video but the market for this kind of thing can't be too large. What do you think, maybe ten or twenty of us in the country who are addicted to this kind of music?
Aloha Jake
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2003 :  10:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Definitely more accessible than Keola's video for the intermediate player. I found Brozman somewhat annoying though...the tape would have been more enjoyable for me if Led could have been more relaxed and carried it himself.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Dana
Akahai

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2003 :  11:33:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love this video. Last year ( 2002 ) when Ledward and George Kahomoku played a concert in Denver Co, I showed him this video and got him to autograph my copy. He was really happy to see somebody using it to learn slack key and dedicated "Slack Key Lullabye" to me...I was really, really impressed with his playing! Of course I don't want to forget George either! Such an inspiration! Anyway, I have been playing guitar for most of my life, and I found the tape very enjoyable, and I am still working my way through it and picking things up......buy it!
Go to Top of Page

smiley
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2003 :  12:57:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love it!!! I am a recovering ki likiliki country blues player and I haven't been this stoked for a long time. Led looked a bit undone by the video teaching thing. Relax, Led, this was da kine! Mahalo for your teaching.

janis
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2005 :  1:34:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now available on DVD (finally!)

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  07:41:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DVD not avail on Amazon.
Found it a Homespun Tapes:
http://www.homespuntapes.com/prodpg/prodpg.asp?prodID=622&prodType=

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Papamonty
Aloha

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  06:35:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And also on eBay which is where I purchased Led's DVD.

Jon M.
Go to Top of Page

lopie
Aloha

21 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  05:17:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have started out with pactric landezza dvd which is excellent for beginning then bought oxzzy's book/dvd (also excellent mixture)and graduated to ledward Kaapana "the hawaiin slack key guitar" hosted with bob brozman (note this has DVD).
I found this book full of "extras" and new paths to explore- increadible riff including both bass runs and other patterns. What really sets this book apart though is the variations on melodies which are explored by ledward (and documented in tableture) so it opens the world of variety in your playing. Bob Brozman makes sure that many amazing details of Ledwards playing are highlighted.
This DVD/tab is highly recommended for expanding your slack key horizons.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000