Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Videos
 Slack Key Tips On Line
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ray Sowders
Akahai

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  11:44:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Sowders's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Howzit Folks,

I took the last "slack key tips" videos down from my site for now. They should be on taropatch for a while yet. I did put up the slack key festival video (on my site) with my wife dancing hula with us. Hopefully I'll have some more from the same festival coming up. Take care and keep in touch when you can.
Aloha Pumehana,

Ray Sowders
Hawaiian , Slack Key, and easy listening music
Ki Ho'alu Dreams
www.raysowders.com

quote:
THE ARCHIVE
The videos have been removed as of 2.17.06. Please visit Ray's website or contact him for details on how to access them.

First Video: “Prelude”
This video is meant to explain the basic approach of this little internet video experiment, and intent of the other videos to come. For those players who have some experience, this may be too basic for you. But, the folks who are new to slack key will find them of interest. The level of difficulty will increase as we go. We need to start somewhere and I want beginners to have a chance to learn, as well as more seasoned guitar players.

Other Video Tips:

Each video will have a name, (you will see what videos are listed lower on this page, when available) and some basic information here describing what is being shown. To keep the videos short (approximately 5 minutes), the additional explanations or description will be here. For each video come here first to see what other information is supplied.

Picture Size:

When you first turn your computer on, and you haven’t started any programs yet, you may change the resolution of your computer monitor to make the video appear larger. If you have a Windows PC and would like to do this, change your resolution to 800x600 or even 640x480 to see what looks better to you. If you don’t know how to do this, double click on “My Computer” then double click on “Control Panel” (the place you make other system changes, or printer changes). Once you are in the control panel double click on “Display” you will see a screen appear that shows the display properties. At the top of this menu you will see a tab called “settings”, click on that and on the bottom right there is a box that says “screen area” this is where you change the resolution. First of all, remember what it says right now. You will probably want to come back and re-set it to the way it is now. My computer says 1024 by 768 for example. If you click on the little arrow that is on the “more or less line” you can drag the arrow (to the left) toward the “less” side. It will show either 800x600 or if you drag it further, 640x480. Try the 800x600 first, or if you computer is already set on that resolution; try the 640x480 setting. Click the “apply” button, and you will get a message on you computer saying it can now change your settings, click OK the picture image will get larger. Another message will appear asking you if you want to keep this setting. Click yes, or it will go back to your original setting within a few seconds automatically. This is one easy way to make the picture bigger; perhaps you will be able to see more closely.

You will need:
  • Guitar
  • Tape Recorder
  • Metronome
  • QuickTime Viewer? (might be easier, videos are created in this format)
  • He Mele Aloha Book (suggested, not required)
Tune your guitar to “taro patch” or “G” tuning. Starting with the lowest string, tune the strings to these notes: (lowest) à DGDGBD ß (highest) all videos will use the same tuning unless notified.

You will need a tape recorder, (of nearly any kind) to record yourself practicing. Most of the time when you are first learning to play it is hard to listen carefully while playing. Sometimes, it is very effective to just put your guitar down, and listen to what you just did. You can fix a lot of things your self, without anyone correcting you. The recorder can help you in many ways. You can get used to hearing your self sing, (which can be brutal at times!!!) or, you can record a short section of a song, and play leads (pa’ani) along with the tape, without having a friend join you. Perhaps you could play a song and sing. When you play the tape back, play another part, or add solos, and sing harmonies to the tape. Call yourself the Circuit City Band and take it on the road! These are just a few ways to improve by your self. Be creative, all ideas and exercises can be modified to your needs, take what works for you, and expand upon it.

A metronome is helpful learning to play at different tempos. Start slowly and increase the speed of an exercise or song. After practicing a song at a fast tempo, you may find it easy to play the song at a real performance tempo. In this world of multi track recording you will be lost if you cannot follow a “click track”, which is really the same as being comfortable with a metronome. For players who slow down or speed up (or both!) as they play, this will help you smooth out your timing. It’s OK, and desired to move tempos with the music sometimes (very artistic and individual) as long as you know where the beat (tempo) really is!

The popular Hawaiian music book “He Mele Aloha” has hundreds of songs. Do a “Google search” and you can find it lots of places. It is a great place to begin, or continue building your song list. It has some very useful chord/key information charts at the beginning of the book that shows what chords are in what key, along with a graph that helps you change keys. Primarily this book was targeted for ukulele, but it is still helpful for guitar players. Some of us play ukulele too! Hawaiian songs sometimes have many different “versions” but at least the Hawaiian language and translations here are correct….for one version. It’s hard to find a book written this well with so many useful songs. If you find one that’s better…buy it, then tell me where I can find one too!

Slack Key Tips Video 1 (kind of small picture, but easy to download)
Basic left hand strengthening ideas, that should be modified at will, to wake up the left hand. It is recommended to use a metronome on your individual practice, without the video once you have the idea. Start slow, and gradually speed up the tempo. Work to make all the notes even in volume. You may move any of the exercises up and down the guitar neck.

Slack Key Tips Video 2
Beginner right hand picking techniques, without needing to use your left hand (at all) this is meant to get the right hand started. The recommendation (from Video 1) about the metronome, tempos, and volume should be incorporated in your picking. One suggestion about volume: Many beginners play too softly. You need to be able to play loud, and soft or you will have no natural “dynamics” in your playing. It’s also harder for teachers to hear and correct any subtle nuance in your style if you play too soft.

Slack Key Tips Video 3
Open and closed positions. This was something I overlooked when I started playing, in Ozzie Kotani’s beginner class. He told us this was important, and to try to memorize the positions as soon as we could. It went right over my head, until I started trying to create my own pa’ani, or melodic interlude. These few positions don’t give you all the notes you may want, but they are a great beginning. There are 3rd and 4th note fingerings for each 2 finger open and closed position, which gives you even more to work with.

**The next several short subject videos are meant to show you the techniques commonly used in slack key to make things sound fuller. Perhaps the description could be “busier”. My search as a “2 finger picker” to sound as full as I can has made me use these types of techniques to create as large of a sound as possible. This is particularly true on solo guitar, without any other accompaniment. Try not to over use any of these, but use with taste. Remember the best description of traditional slack key is “deceptively simple” we don’t want to jazz things up too much. Sometimes less is definitely more.**

Slack Key Tips Video 4
“Chimes” is an introduction to show some of the ways this “effect” can be used. Chimes can add depth to your arrangements, and are used freely in live performance. They (as the items to follow) also are referred to as effect because they are sometimes used to draw attention.

Slack Key Tips Video 5
Hammers introduction, breaking down the concept, and offering a drill to help get more consistent sound for all 3 notes.

Slack Key Tips Video 6
Pull off technique. Getting extra notes from each note picked is sometimes desirable.

Slack Key Tips Video 7
Add on technique is similar to the pull off. It can give you a sound like you are picking with more fingers, then you are.

Slack Key Tips Video 8
Slides 1 shows another style of getting “more” out of slack key. Remember there are many players who prefer not to slide. It is a different style of playing that may or may not help. It is just another “tool” to stick in your slack key tool box, to be used when needed.

Slack Key Tips Video 9
Slides 2 is just a continuation of video 8

Slack Key Tips Video 10
Vamps (1) are important in all Hawaiian music. They also give us a chance to combine all the things presented earlier. Vamps can be a signature of a player. Different styles of music have different “requirements” from the vamp. Slack key is pretty simple and can be (but not always) just 2 chords. Hula is a little different. They often incorporate more chords, and the timing (and length) of the vamp has to be set for a dancer. Believe me when I tell you this is a separate subject altogether. Just be aware that when playing for hula, you will need to play vamps their style, and probably get rid of all pa’ani, and musical interludes. Dancers prefer to dance to words, not music.

Slack Key Tips Video 11
Vamps (2) continuation of video 10.

A big mahalo to Ray Sowders for creating these and sharing them with us. It was fun to have them and give them a temporary home. -Admin

Edited by - Ray Sowders on 08/10/2005 12:14:02 PM

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  12:56:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Ray! I, for one, am excited to hear that you are doing this! I enjoy your playing very much. I'll try the website out.

Duke
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  1:21:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Ray.

Mahalo. You might want to edit out the "dot" at the end of your web address so people can get to your site.

Anything you want to teach us would be greatly appreciated. I too enjoy your playing.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  2:01:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ray,
Nice web site.
http://www.raysowders.com/page/page/1448050.htm

I have a DVD of Ray Kane playing several songs with closeups of his left/right hands to learn how to play the songs. But somehow my playing doesn't come out the same (need to practice, I know). Your tips for "smooting things out" would be very helpful.

I have learned more from hands-on lessons with John Keawe, Daniel Ho, and George Kohumoku than I have from most tablature books.

I think you would be on the right track.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  2:49:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha, Ray, glad you could join us here. I really enjoyed the lesson with you back in January, I hope we can get together again.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2005 :  3:14:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by `Ilio Nui

You might want to edit out the "dot" at the end of your web address so people can get to your site.
I fixed it by adding [url ] and [ /url] before and after.

Thanks for dropping in Ray. I'll check out your web site too.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2005 :  06:02:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha e Ray,

I'd welcome any help from someone who had Uncle Ray as his primary teacher. Tips on "smoothing out" sound great. Ray Kane is the King of Smooth

Your singing is great, too. Any tips you might have on singing and playing together, or on songs and interpretation/arrangement/re-arrangement would be welcome, too.

Mahalo!

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sowders
Akahai

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2005 :  08:30:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Sowders's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kden... the first experimental offering (called "Prelude") is on my web page www.raysowders.com it may be useful to have a QuickTime viewer for best results. Always read the "Video notes" page first, it will evolve as the videos do. Bear with me, I am trying to learn to do this stuff. I will try to add the first basic "exercise" next week, I am curious if you folks have any trouble opening the video, it may take a while for some to down load. If so, e kala mai ia'u there is an ongoing battle keeping the time, and file size small enough... and still ending up with something thats visable...aue! Wish I could just play guitar! This other stuff is a real challenge! Any way, your feedback is appreciated. The next subjects (NOT THERE YET!) will be: 1-Left hand finger builders/right hand picking for beginners. 2-Picking while practicing open and closed positions (the source for most pa'ani/solos) Then we can begin working with chimes, hammers, slides etc. Please consider saving the videos you find useful on your computer, I won't be able to archive them on my site for a while yet. Maybe one or two at a time. Since the videos need to stay 4-5 minutes in length, there may be quite a few of them once the ball gets rolling. A hui hou.... Ray wi
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Sowders

Aloha Kakou,

I have been asked by several friends to include some slack key video lessons, or "tips" on my web site www.raysowders.com. I have been a little hesitant because I know that it's hard to get much real usable information that way. At least from my sony video camera, G4, and sma-kine video program!

Any way.... I have decided to try a few ideas, and thought I'd ask folks what they would like to see? I teach beginners slack key, (Ray Kane style. He was my primary teacher) so I wouldn't be able to supply some of the advanced technical stuff people may want. But, I can help folks learn to smooth things out a bit. I think some tips on different vamps, showing how to get the most from "pull offs", "add ons", hammering techniqes etc. would be a good place to begin. So, before I go off in my own direction, feel free to contact me with any suggestions you may have at ray @ raysowders.com. Keep practicing! A hui hou,

Ray Sowders

Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2005 :  10:16:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much, Ray. I'm an absolute beginner at any kind of guitar (I'm on Lesson Two in Ozzie's book) and I'm really looking forward to your future lessons. Will you post here as they become available, or is it possible to sign up on an e-mail list so we get notice of future lessons?

FWIW, the file downloaded very quickly on my DSL connection (under a minute) and was clear and easy to watch/listen using QuickTime Player (version 7.0.1) on a Mac.

Question: I don't have a cassette recorder except one of those mini-tape ones for speaking only. Does anyone have any suggestions for a model to look for that has reasonable sound and isn't too costly?

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2005 :  10:19:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Ray,

I just watched your video, and it's very clear. I have a question about the book you recommended. I understand that it has lyrics and possibly chords, but no indication of melodies. Without acquiring a lot of CD's, it seems less useful.

Also, a comment. On my PC running under Windows XP Home, the Quicktime 7.0.2 window can be dragged into a larger window and video display by clicking and dragging the lower right hand corner. The first time I tried it, Quicktime hung. After I closed it and a number of unused window I had open, I was able to enlarge the Quicktime window successfully. You describe a different way of doing this, but for some set-ups there is this easier way.

I'm looking forward to your future videos. Thanks for doing this.

PS - thanks for the comments on taking 10 times longer to learn. That's me. It gets so discouraging sometimes.

Pauline

Edited by - Pauline Leland on 07/31/2005 10:23:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2005 :  2:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're right, Pauline, about the book having no notation. There's a gentleman in Hawaii, though, who has a website with MIDI links to most of the songs in the book so you can hear the melody. Go to:

http://mele.home.att.net/

This book is *the* book to have for jamming Hawaiian songs with friends!

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2005 :  3:30:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've tried that link 3 times and each time I get a "page not available" screen
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2005 :  3:31:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tonya,

Thanks! I'll go check that out now.

Pauline

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2005 :  4:59:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry, Raymond. I tried it again and it still is working for me (doesn't that drive you nuts?). FWIW, I tried it with Safari, FireFox and Internet Explorer--it worked for me with all three (even when I cleared the cache and made it reload the page). Hmmm...anyone else?

Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2005 :  5:22:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Raymond, it's verrrryy slow, be patient. I thought it didn't work at first because I'm so used to fast connections now.

Also, with this publicity, it may have exceeded bandwidth or some such.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  05:10:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ray,

Thanks for the Prelude. I look forward to the rest of the lessons. Very well done.

Mahalo nui,

Dave
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000