Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Books
 Israel Kamakawiwo`ole biography - 8/22
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  6:18:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news -- the long-awaited Rick Carroll biography of Israel Kamakawiwo`ole is due for release 8/22. Advance online orders are being taken. For details (including sample pages):
http://www.besspress.com

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  07:32:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have read the book and frankly, was sorely disappointed. It is not really a biography. The foreword by Marlene Kamakawiwo`ole is only a few lines long. Many pictures are repeats throughout the book, and many are pictures of the front and back covers of albums or CDs. I guess what I was looking for was a glimpse into his heart. That being said, reading something about Iz is better than nothing and I am not sorry I bought it.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  4:40:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just picked up the book from my local library and was surprised that it was much more than a puff piece about his life. It does deal with his excesses, in whatever form they may have occurred (and they were many), as well as his impact on both the local and the broader musical scene. It was nice to see pictures of his musical cohorts and family. I have not seen most of the pictures before. As a coffee table volume it is pretty good for our niche group, although pricey. But it is a biography, not an autobiography. However, there are six handwritten pages by Iz, with edits in red, which are interesting for those looking for a glimpse into the man, as part of the Legacy chapter of the book. According to the jacket blurb, the author, Rick Carroll, lived in Hawai'i for 20 years and has "published articles on dozens of topics related to Hawai'i and the Pacific." He lives near Cape Lookout in North Carolina.

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000