Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Taropatch.net Miscellaneous
 Announcements, Feedback, Suggestions
 Online `Ohana Stats
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2003 :  12:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpatch

Almost exactly half from Hawaii and the West Coast (216)...interesting.

That's because it's easier for those of us on the West Coast to go to the islands and become infected by the Ki Ho'alu bug.

Makes me wonder how many more participants there might be from Japan if TaroPatch.net could be translated into Japanese.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2003 :  2:19:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The Taropatch.net `ohana is now over 500 registered members!
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2003 :  7:44:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy,

You started something BIG!!!

Congratulations on "birthing" a giant.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

AuntyD
Aloha

24 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2003 :  6:17:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyD's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha e Craig,

I think the large number on the West Coast is partially reflective of the "Economic/Brain Drain" phenomenon, i.e., the out-migration of islanders from Hawai`i for economic reasons and job opportunities.

I speak from my perspective: a lot of us island baby boomers were exposed to the Hawaiian Renaissance musicians like slack key artists Gabby and Aunty Alice Namakelua while in high school. The duo groups, Keola and Kapono (Beamer) and Cecelio and Kapono,were also in their heydey big back then.

Significant numbers of us went away for school on the mainland and got "stuck" out here for various reasons, including jobs, marriage to mainlanders, and opportunities for upward mobility.

Now many of us are heading for retirement, if not already there, with more discretionary time to pick up on activities of the heart, especially Hawaiian music. You can take an islander out of the islands, but you can't take the islands out of him/her.

At last month's SoCal `Ukulele Festival, my husband taught a slack key workshop(and an Aunty Alice Namakelua song); a sizable number of his students were Hawai`i ex-patriates who fit the "profile" I've described. Of course, as sizable was the number of mainlanders who just fell in love with slack key and wanted to learn more.

The Aloha and enthusiasm for slack key is contagious, and it is gratifying to see that so many on the West Coast, former islanders and mainlanders, are catching the slack key fever.

Me ke Aloha,
Aunty D
http://hawaiianlanguage.com

"Aloha is...":
http://www.geocities.com/moekeale2020/alohalesson.htm

Edited by - AuntyD on 11/14/2003 6:19:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2003 :  4:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome SC. Wow! Going international... welcome Italy and Romania!
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  10:00:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Willkommen Germany!
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  12:32:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome Sweden!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2004 :  12:54:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome Switzerland!
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  11:56:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The Taropatch.net `ohana is now over 600 registered members! Wow!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  10:37:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome West Virginia!
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  1:23:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
andy,

would it be possible to break down the hawaiian membership by island, or don't we have that information?

maui no ka oi,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2004 :  2:11:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We do not really have that information. Prior to adding the city/region field in the profiles, we did not collect the information at all. The city/region is a broad classification so some Hawai`i residents choose to include their home island, others include their city, while others do not specify.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

trlau
Aloha

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  11:45:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Andy,
Next upgrade, please consider capturing as a boolean whether a member has roots in the islands. There would be no rules for indicating 'yes' (self-identification is a bit more p.c.), but the general idea is one born and/or raised in the islands.

It is always most interesting to me where the keiki o ka 'aina crowd ends up.

Ted Lau
(poina 'ole he Hawai'i 'oe)
mailto:trlau @ earthlink.net
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  2:31:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trlau

Aloha Andy,
Next upgrade, please consider capturing as a boolean whether a member has roots in the islands. There would be no rules for indicating 'yes' (self-identification is a bit more p.c.), but the general idea is one born and/or raised in the islands.

It is always most interesting to me where the keiki o ka 'aina crowd ends up.

Hi Ted,

I will look into adding that at a later date. BTW, I was just enjoying your He Aloha No `O Honolulu again. Sounds great!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  6:12:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hey ted,
quote:
+ Major revelation: when I found out that a 5-string banjo was in taro patch tuning
i got a chance to try this observation, and had the interesting experience of doing hawaiian turnarounds on a four string banjo.

thanks for the hint! aloha, keith
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000