Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Quick Q&A: Jeff Peterson - Pure Slack Key
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  01:14:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message

TP = Andy (Taropatch.net)
JP = Jeff Peterson

TP: Can you talk a bit about Pure Slack Key and how it fits within your discography?

JP: Pure Slack Key is my fourth solo recording of slack key and was first released in Japan a few months ago. It will be out in the US on October 23rd. It will be released in the US on my own label and will be distributed by the Mountain Apple Company. It will also be available on my website at www.jeffpetersonguitar.com. The recording was intended to compliment another CD on my label that I did called Slack Key Jazz. That CD explored the connection between jazz and hawaiian music and was a lot of fun to put together. The new CD is more traditional in scope presenting many Hawaiian standards and also includes a number of original pieces that range from very traditional to contemporary. I like to present a wide range of sounds on each recording I do so I have fun with arrangements to keep it interesting.

TP: I really enjoyed your arrangements and variety of music which included traditional songs and originals. How did you select the songs to include in this album?

JP: I selected songs for this recording that demonstrate a wide variety of sounds and styles within the slack key idiom. I did traditional songs including Koke'e, Puamana, the Punahoa Special, Kaimana Hila, Wai'alae, and 'Ulili E. I used many different tunings and even looked at the history of some of the songs to help decide on arrangements. For example, Wai'alae was actually a Mexican folk melody that was introduced to Mekia Kealakai in the early 1900's. He adapted the melody and wrote the lyrics. I arranged the song with that in mind and gave it a Mexican waltz feel using rasqueado strumming patterns and Spanish scale runs. Originals on the recording vary from traditionally-inspired feels like Pahe'e Slack Key and Maui Moonlight to bluegrass on Let's Ride to touches of contemporary harmony on Almost Home. I always try to find new chord voicings and fingerings in each tuning and compose around this at times. Haiku was written for Shakuhachi master Riley Lee and was influenced by the music he performs. Once In Waikiki is a nostalgic look at the days when you could just stroll up to the beach at Waikiki and not have to face crowds. My Ohana had a taro farm at the edge of Manoa Valley and I have heard many great stories about my great grandmother during those days. It was written with her in mind as well other relatives like Mel Peterson who was writing and performing in Hawaii in the 30s and 40s.

TP: How did you learn guitar/slack key?

JP: I learned guitar growing up on Maui. My father was a paniolo on the Haleakala Ranch and he loved to get together to play with his friends. They would go up to a cabin on the mountain all the time and always brought guitars. I was inspired from a very young age to try to join in. I learned a lot from watching the cowboys then went on to teach myself by listening to recordings. I went to USC and studied in the incredible guitar program there after high school. I was exposed to classical guitar and jazz. It really broadened my view of music. I have also studied outside of school with Ozzie Kotani and the great classical guitarist Ben Verdery.

TP: Your music has taken you to some very interesting places. I've heard that you've entertained the likes of President Bill Clinton and former 007 Pierce Brosnan. Care to talk about these highlights or perhaps any others?

JP: My experience with Bill Clinton was amazing. I was invited to perform for Bill and Hillary Clinton at a private estate on Kauai. Pierce Brosnan was there as well with his wife. Bill Clinton came right up to me after he arrived and sat down to listen for about an hour. We talked about all types of music and I introduced him to slack key. He was liked it as well as jazz. He knew all the great composers and performers in jazz and wanted to hear everything from standards to Brazillian bossa nova to Brubeck. It was a blast. They invited me to perform on a yacht the next day. We sailed down the Napali coast.

I also recently performed for U2 after they did a show here on Oahu. Bono was great fun to perform for. They had just finished two years of heavy touring--it was time to relax!!! I arranged a number of U2 songs for fun but mainly played slack key.

TP: You're a regular on the Slack Key Festival bills. Where else are you performing regularly and any upcoming special events?

JP: I have recently joined Amy Hanaiali'i's group and have recorded two albums with her. The first is called A Hawaiian Christmas and is out now. The other recording was with the Matt Catingub Orchestra of Hawaii and will be out next Spring. The christmas album was a great project to work on. We rented a house on the north shore in the middle of summer, put up some x-mas decorations, and had a blast. I played lots of slack key on the recording as well as ukulele. Chino Montero did lots of great ukulele and guitar playing as well. Bobby Ingano played steel and Steve Jones played acoustic bass. It is the first recording in Hawaiian of many of the great christmas songs. I will be touring to promote this recording with Amy on the west coast this December. I will open many of the shows with a solo set. We will be at the Crest Theater in Sacramento on December 1st before heading to the Bay area and Seattle. More dates are currently being added. My steady gig when I am home is at Michel's Restaurant at the Colony Surf in Waikiki. It is a wonderful venue. I have been there for many years and get to look out at the ocean as I perform. I am there from Thursday through Sunday from 6:30pm to 9:30pm. All night are solo except Fridays when I play jazz with a bass player.

TP: Where do you see slack key today and where do you see it going?

JP: It is a very exciting time for slack key right now and I feel that it has a lot of potential to be performed all over the world. I like to always look back at the Kupuna for inspiration and feel that the music should always have a strong connection to Gabby Pahinui, Leonard Kwan, Sonny Chillingworth, Ata Issacs, and many of the other greats of the past. Their love of the music is what we should all learn from and appreciate. I feel that anyone learning should start from the early recordings and try to study with someone who has learned from the traditional players. There are many great resources out there now to learn from.

TP: Anything else you'd like to share with the Taropatchers?

JP: I recently returned from a great trip to New York City and had a wonderful time seeing Andy Wang. Mahalo nui loa to Andy for his hard work to make this website such a valuable resource and forum for the music. Andy and his wife were very patient as I tried out classical guitars at the Luthier Music shop. I could have stayed there for weeks...

Please feel free to reach me from my website at www.jeffpetersonguitar.com. The new CD is up on Itunes if anyone is interested.

TP: Thanks, Jeff. It was great hanging out with you and Kahea. No patience necessary.

Andy

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  02:02:53 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing this interview with us, Andy. I am very happy to hear Jeff say that the music should always have a connection with the past. Can fiddle around with new stuff, jazzy sounding music. Always keep a connection to the kupuna, to the kumu.

Thanks again, and eh, he had a swell time seeing Andy Wang. How cool is that!!!!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  11:31:17 AM  Show Profile
I love his Slack Key Jazz CD, although it's a stretch. I'd love to study with this guy. He'll be coming to the So. Cal Slack Key Festival. He really is a marvelous player
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  05:03:08 AM  Show Profile
Terry, we're planning on snagging him for a workshop - - who else is interested?
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  06:55:45 AM  Show Profile
Count me in fo' shua!!!!!

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

kaniala5
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  12:43:12 PM  Show Profile  Send kaniala5 a Yahoo! Message
I would be interested in attending a workshop with Jeff. He sounds interesting. I enjoyed hearing his take on music. I could see him and the gang doing a X-Mas album in the summer :-).

Look for reasons to be happy rather than excuses to be miserable.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000