Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Led Kaapana/Waltz of the Wiind
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  06:33:46 AM  Show Profile
I was listening to Waltz of the Wind this morning, and it struck me (like a 2x4 between the eyes) that Ledward has got to be one of the world's foremost talented guitarists. I think there is not a genre that he cannot play. Everything he does sounds magnificent. No to diss other players, but, sheesh, what style and talent he has! What versatility. Everything sounds different, fresh and new, no matter how old the song is, or how many versions he has recorded. Plus `ukulele, autoharp and who knows what else.

Why do people think Chet Atkins or Eric Clapton or George Harrison when you speak of great guitar players. Why they don't speak of Ledward? His talent is amazing and today I was blown away by it. Like a revelation or something.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  08:20:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
No Hawaiian music or musician has the kind of exposure that rock or country has on the mainland. The only figure I can think of that comes close to being recognized is Iz, and that's thanks to his version of a famous Tin Pan Alley song used in a movie soundtrack. I suspect that even the mainlanders who are familiar with that recording are unaware of his other work, let alone the traditions that he was part of. I've learned to answer questions about the book I'm writing by saying just "It's about Hawaiian music," unless I'm prepared to explain what "slap key guitar" might be. Hawaiian music lovers shouldn't feel particularly snubbed, though--there are similar issues with gypsy jazz. "Jangle who? Jungle Reiner? Isn't he Rob's kid?" And don't get me started on bagpipe music. . . .
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  09:23:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Wanda, the more I see and hear Led play, the more my feeling of awe and amazement grows. I think Russell's comparison to Django is pretty apt, perhaps in 30 or 40 years guitar players will be referring back to Led's recordings and building a whole new genre of guitar playing based on his style. There certainly are a number of folks around now who owe a lot of their playing to Ledward.

I've been counseled by a couple of players that when I figure out some of my own personal licks and tricks on the guitar, I should hold them back and not teach them to others, I think this is a fairly common attitude. When I mentioned that to Led he just laughed, "I show everything, 'cause I know I'm gonna find new stuff tomorrow." And he does.

To add to the list of his instruments, he's a pretty darned hot 4 string banjo player, his style is based on his `ukulele playing. And he's a fine steel guitar player as well. And he's nuts on washtub bass.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  09:31:09 AM  Show Profile
Someone as accomplished as Led is not afraid to show others how to play. They have confidence in themselves and the wisdom and maturity to want to share it. Goodness gracious, he is so good at what he does, the WORLD needs to know about him. Criminey -- if Stanley Jordan can get on TV, etc., with his style of playing, Ledward needs to also. He can run circles around Jordan, or for the most part, just about anyone I can think of. The more I hear him, the more and more I believe he is a musical genius.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  11:11:16 AM  Show Profile
Led is a great player and does have what I think is a rarely seen talent. There are also other very gifted guitar players out there of differing styles. Several that I would find hard to put below Led. Stay objective if you can.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

CharlesHSauer
Aloha

9 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  4:25:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit CharlesHSauer's Homepage
Wow, I was going to simply reply to Wanda by offering another opinion that Led IS the world's best guitarist and pointing to "Hippie Guy" saying the same a couple of days ago at http://liveukulele.com/ledward-kaapana-slack-key-ukulele-tribute-medley/.

I've been thinking/saying that Led is the world's best for years. I still think that, if it is possible to say any guitarist is the "world's best". Though I could say to Led "I ain't never heard you play no blues" (http://technologists.com/notes/2007/09/28/i-aint-never-heard-you-play-no-blues), I suspect he could play with the best of that genre if we wanted to/felt it.

There are others who cross genres, but not like Led. 30+ years ago I was playing bass with a country band and Jimmie Vaughan dropped by to sit in. He showed then he was more than the blues virtuoso most people know.

Chet Atkins could play in multiple styles, but not like Led can. I'd suspect Garrison Keillor agrees based on his reaction to Led playing an Atkins tune on P.H.C. six years ago. The archive is at http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs/20020105/.

I wish Led's Kennedy Center (http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/millennium/artist_detail.cfm?artist_id=LEDKAAPANA) and Wolf Trap (see Washington Post review at http://www.mountainapplecompany.com/Content37.aspx?NewsID=1142) performances got more exposure. I wish he was on TV.

I made a pest of myself with the Austin City Limits folks about five years ago, even leaving Hui Ohana CDs at Terry Lickona's front door, trying to get A.C.L. to put Led on the show. Terry was sympathetic, and said he wished he could have had Gabby and/or Iz on A.C.L. before they died. (A.C.L. started a few years before Gabby passed away.) Terry didn't say as much, but my impression was that Led needed more commercial success before A.C.L. could book him.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  01:29:03 AM  Show Profile
I think objectively one can say he is "da bes'". Yea, yea, I know there are other great guitar players out there (Cyril, Dennis, etc., etc.) Just my opinion, based on hearing him play a variety of styles and instruments.

By what criteria would one judge the virtuosity of a guitar olayer?

Jus' press.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  04:26:06 AM  Show Profile
According to Rolling Stone Magazine, these are the top 100 guitar players. Upon what acriteria they were adjudged, or by whom, I do not know. Where the heck is Ledwards name on this list?????

1Jimi Hendrix
2 Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band
3 B.B. King
4 Eric Clapton
5 Robert Johnson
6 Chuck Berry
7 Stevie Ray Vaughan
8 Ry Cooder
9 Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin
10 Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones
11Kirk Hammett of Metallica
12 Kurt Cobain of Nirvana
13 Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead
14 Jeff Beck
15 Carlos Santana
16 Johnny Ramone of the Ramones
17 Jack White of the White Stripes
18 John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers
19 Richard Thompson
20 James Burton
21 George Harrison
22 Mike Bloomfield
23 Warren Haynes
24 The Edge of U2
25 Freddy King
26 Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave
27 Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits
28 Stephen Stills
29 Ron Asheton of the Stooges
30 Buddy Guy
31 Dick Dale
32 John Cipollina of Quicksilver Messenger Service
33 & 34 Lee Ranaldo, Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth
35 John Fahey
36 Steve Cropper of Booker T. and the MG's
37 Bo Diddley
38 Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac
39 Brian May of Queen
40 John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater Revival
41 Clarence White of the Byrds
42 Robert Fripp of King Crimson
43 Eddie Hazel of Funkadelic
44 Scotty Moore
45 Frank Zappa
46 Les Paul
47 T-Bone Walker
48 Joe Perry of Aerosmith
49 John McLaughlin
50 Pete Townshend
51 Paul Kossoff of Free
52 Lou Reed
53 Mickey Baker
54 Jorma Kaukonen of Jefferson Airplane
55 Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple
56 Tom Verlaine of Television
57 Roy Buchanan
58 Dickey Betts
59 & 60 Jonny Greenwood, Ed O'Brien of Radiohead
61 Ike Turner
62 Zoot Horn Rollo of the Magic Band
63 Danny Gatton
64 Mick Ronson
65 Hubert Sumlin
66 Vernon Reid of Living Colour
67 Link Wray
68 Jerry Miller of Moby Grape
69 Steve Howe of Yes
70 Eddie Van Halen
71 Lightnin' Hopkins
72 Joni Mitchell
73 Trey Anastasio of Phish
74 Johnny Winter
75 Adam Jones of Tool
76 Ali Farka Toure
77 Henry Vestine of Canned Heat
78 Robbie Robertson of the Band
79 Cliff Gallup of the Blue Caps (1997)
80 Robert Quine of the Voidoids
81 Derek Trucks
82 David Gilmour of Pink Floyd
83 Neil Young
84 Eddie Cochran
85 Randy Rhoads
86 Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath
87 Joan Jett
88 Dave Davies of the Kinks
89 D. Boon of the Minutemen
90 Glen Buxton of Alice Cooper
91 Robby Krieger of the Doors
92 & 93 Fred "Sonic" Smith, Wayne Kramer of the MC5
94 Bert Jansch
95 Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine
96 Angus Young of AC/DC
97 Robert Randolph
98 Leigh Stephens of Blue Cheer
99 Greg Ginn of Black Flag
100 Kim Thayil of Soundgarden

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  06:39:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, clearly intended to be humorous. No classical players. No Django. Les Paul - LES PAUL but not Charlie Christian or Wes Montgomery. Johnny Ramone ahead of Richard Thompson!!!!!!!! Danny Gatton in the middle of the pack. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

I know a list like this is flame bait, pure and simple, but these folks didn't even try.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  06:48:38 AM  Show Profile
That Ramone guy scare me. Lou Reed? Kurt Cobain????

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  06:56:41 AM  Show Profile
Doc Watson wasn't on the list. I guess the list was for them what plugs in and plays loud.
I saw Led play country blues and he tried Jack's 8 string Dobro and made sense of it. Not all greats are recognized. Not all those recognized are all that great. If you, personally, recognize greatness, appreciate it and the fact that you have grown in your perceptions. Common sense ain't common. Who is Paris Hilton? Why even connect synapses over "pop-culture"? (Watch it, Tideman, you're incoherently ranting as if your one nerve was touched.)
Ju's press. If no can press, jus' listen.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  09:34:09 AM  Show Profile
Niether were Tommy Emmanuel, Don Ross, Andy McKey, or Christopher Parkening. What about the Jazz greats (as was mentioned)? It would be better titled " The Greatest Electric Guitar Players" list because that is mostly what it is. It is very one sided. I do agree with thier #1 for rock guitar though.

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 01/27/2008 09:36:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

CharlesHSauer
Aloha

9 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  09:52:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit CharlesHSauer's Homepage
Even if the Rolling Stone list is accepted as genre challenged in omitting Django, Charlie Christian, Doc Watson, Montoya, not to mention all the great classical players, there are glaring omissions within its scope.

Jimi Hendrix used to follow Jimmie Vaughan around and learn from him and take pictures of Jimmie when Jimmie was 18. If #1 thought so highly of him, why didn't he make the top 100?

Sam Maghett, known as Magic Sam, was brilliant and might have eclipsed many other blues players in popularity if he had lived past 32. There are other blues players like Otis Rush and Wayne Bennett that the R.S. list neglects.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  09:59:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
EZ, Wanda. Consider the source of your list. Sorry, but why are you surprised there aren't any Hawaiians listed?

Hell, there aren't any Spanish guitarists-- they kinda invented the dang thing, didn't they? One word: flamenco!

Nor, with a couple exceptions, are acoustic players represented-- Doc Watson, Tony Rice, Ralph Towner, Earl Klugh, Rev Gary Davis & Blind Blake all leap to mind.

Nor much jazz--I've seen Kurt Cobain play, and he's no Wes... or even Les.. or Django, Jim Hall, Kenny Burell, Bernard Addison, Joe Pass, Pat Methany, John Scofield, Bill Frisell, George Van Epps, Freddy Green.....Oy.

The list is pathetic-- it is certainly not a list of the top 100 influential guitarists.

Where are Lonnie Johnson & Eddie Lang (who jointly invented the guitar solo), Charlie Christian (who created a whole vocabulary for the newly invented electric guitar) or Segovia (who created the role of the classical guitar, more or less)?

It's not even a list of the top 100 rock guitarists--John Fahey???

What you have is a highly selective list of 100 guitar players some ignorant 20 year old might recognize. BFD. Tho' I like seeing Bert Jansch but not John Renborn - take that, Pantangle fans!

As you so rightly point out, Led is among the finest living guitarists. As is Cyril Pahinui. Why aren't they universally recognized as such?

The EZ answer is that Hawaiian music, and slack key in particular, is really not a very big deal. As in-- total sales or audience share. We are talking CD pressings in the low 5 digits, at best. No disrespect, but listener share on most Hawaiian radio shows is about even with "Let's Polka"-- as Kory can tell you.

Iz was a fluke-- no one else has gotten close to the kind of recognition he's received. And that is for one song--- and most people don't know his name, sad to say.

The good news is that Led (and Cyril & Keola, et al) have he respect of their peers-- and they have your respect.

Which is really all that matters, isn't it?

Edited by - Mark on 01/27/2008 10:02:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  12:21:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
"The 100 Guitar Players the Rolling Stone Demographic* Has Heard Of, Or Been Assured By Their Pals Are Really Like Rad"

* Large overlap with demographic for anti-zit medications and Girls Gone Wild videos.
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  11:08:19 PM  Show Profile
Hmm.. Aunty W, I am not sure many people take Rolling Stone seriously on the merit of good musical taste. Maybe the criteria for that list was not how good they were as musicians, or how great their body of work was, but instead how many teenagers they made decide to spend their life savings on a guitar. In that case, Jimi Hendrix probably belongs up there.

There are a lot of really great local musicians around here, and Led is definitely right up there with the best of them. He has a really unique approach and was one of my, and I am sure many others, first major influences. My uncle played me his "Led Live" Dancing Cat album when I was like 12 or 13 and it blew my mind. A funny thing, I learned about Wes Montgomery and Chet Atkins because I read about them in his liner notes. In any case, Led is definitely one of my personal guitar heroes.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000