Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Is Posting In "Broken English" a turn off?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 73

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  03:23:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Baritone,

Mus ha been some ono fo dive yoa times! Nowadaze plenny places pau. Mauna Kea Beach- befoa time I use fo dive dea, den one day da reef make. Locals wen tell me dey clorox da reef cause no like locals come dere no moa, but I donno. Me I tink was golf course runoff an sewage ovahflows. No make sense spoil da diving fo da tourist, no?

Puako too all pau now- too many house, cesspool, lidat. Lilbit good kine from Hapuna to 69's, den no moa noting. An da reef off Spencer's- so ono in da 1970's- pretty much pau cept way outsai. So Puako to Kawaihaie pretty much junk dese daze. North of deah stay ono cause da currents go south, bu all da old roads get gate. Me, I no scaid- I jus make one new road; love dose Toyota 4WD's! Dey no moa right fo block access makai- we get rights in da Constitution fo access mauka an makai. Wen da buggahs like block access, me, I use wha I call "slow key" I always stay get in da glove box- supah glue. Ebery time you li use one access an get gate, lilbit supah glue in da lock goine fix um. Kinda slow, but byembye dey goine get tired fo bring one cutting torch ebery time dey like open da gate, an den dey no lock um no moa. "Slow key".

Menpachi- use da same rights Kapoho side. Jus cause private no can keep you out if you like access da shoa fo fish. I like dive Vacationland- fo a wile dey wen get on gate an security guard fo try keep you out. I jus wen tell him I like access makai, no can stop. He wen let me tru ebery time. An da subdivision dat get automatic gate, need one card- well da "slow key" work eben bettah on dat one... No let no one take yoa rights, or you goine lose um. I stay wi Noeau on dis one- got to stand up. I stay one big landownah too, but I nebbah goine try stop nobody from cross my ahupua'a; an I no goine let nobody try stop me from using my access rights, oa any oddah right I get.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Basil Henriques
Lokahi

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  10:42:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Basil Henriques's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Almost 2000 members, yet 35 pages of "Mainly Off-Topic" chat by, how many ? yet read 8129 times.
Go ahead, count the number of DIFFERENT posters..

The last page I can find with an actual reference to the topic question is page 2 !!
I'd say the question posed on the initial post is answered definitively.

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  11:43:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Basil Henriques

As a "no," I'd say. Hasn't kept this thread from generating plenty of "talk story" conversation.

It's one thread out of thousands. No one is forced to read it or participate in it.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  12:47:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Basil Henriques

Almost 2000 members, yet 35 pages of "Mainly Off-Topic" chat by, how many ? yet read 8129 times.
Go ahead, count the number of DIFFERENT posters..

Shows that a lot of TP members enjoy just reading along. (Which in turn seems to answer the original question.)

quote:
The last page I can find with an actual reference to the topic question is page 2 !!

Page 36 now.

quote:

Perhaps, but I suspect this thread will continue. After all, that's what the "Talk Story" section of TP is for.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 07/01/2008 12:47:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  3:19:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
E try explain wot da heck is hoof hearted? See I know shame fo ax if I doe know sumpting. Da ting wit pidgin is we make up many stuffs too so it sounds like inside stuff. Like "try no make!" and boy I blankin out o hea. Try help me out I know ovah da years and get plenny liʻdat alsways get one catch phrase come up das mo popular den rice. Oh yeah like "as why hahd" is one noddah one. I know earliest we was compiling one dickshunairy. But how one wit phrases. Dis might help da non pidgin speakers fo make sense about wot us stay talking.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Menpachi Man
Lokahi

274 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  4:35:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lolopachi:

Lemme cheep een braddah Duke. Oh yea, befoe I go on, yea yea ... Pidgin Slack -- good taito no? Guava Sunrize, hahah, he ged fanceh name no? Sleeeek da buggah! Yea, Guava Sunrize, good taito too! Buh he no can oudsleeek me, cept in playeen music. Hoh, I steh set da stage fo beef no? Eh nah Guava-man, I steh oneh joke. (chuckleen to self). Wah brah, like go beef in pahkeen lot? I ged won case beeya fo aftah bussup.

Ged one postah I like call out! Hey Reid -- wea U steh? I miss yo posts. Plenneh guyz misundahstan u buh nah me. I no u ged good heart! U no y I like yo often perceived pompos-azzed posts? Coz ... u remine me ... of ME! Hehe, so come out brah! Go tahk sammo.

End LOLO Menpach-man.

Contemplative Menpachi: Continuing on my dissertation:

My analysis of those who take the pedantic view of this thread is that they lack a global cultural IQ as it stands in Hawaii. Some background about me: My logical IQ is tested to be at a genius level. However, my social IQ is borderline retarded. My cultural IQ is advanced especially where fishing is concerned and where the major ethnic groups are concerned. Therefore I request that those with highly developed social IQ’s step in immediately should those with borderline retarded social IQ’s such as Guava and I cross social boundaries. Sorry Guava man but like me, you are socially retarded. Despite my retarded social IQ, I will attempt to expound on why we embrace this form of pidgin.

People should realize that pidgin came into existence as a language necessary for communication among folks with a wide variety of languages. Had not English been established or “forced” as the language of choice, I am inclined to believe that we all would have spoken a form of pidgin Hawaiian. Pidgin was the formation of a language necessary for communicating among various ethnic groups, nothing more. You may ask, why then do you choose to speak it now? For many, it is not a choice. For others like me “King’s English” is a choice, but I gravitate towards pidgin because it is my roots. When you cut off your roots, it is as if you are cutting off the branch that you are sitting on. Why do we tenaciously embrace pidgin? Pidgin is a form of communications which in turn led to a cross-cultural identity, unique to Hawaii, seen in no other parts of the world. People with disdain for Hawaii pidgin have no understanding of the importance of this melting pot of races. If you remember, comedian Delima often poked fun of the many races and we all laughed without taking offense. Unfortunately this too is dying.

The roots were once cut from under the Hawaiian people and now they are growing back. Many of us non-Hawaiians celebrate this. Some may say, “But you are Asian”. I say, so what? A strong part of my psyche is Hawaiian especially where Hawaiian spirituality surounding the ocean is concerned. This is the case with many other ethnic people who grew up there for several generations.

If I were to speak with the vocabulary and tone of one of my previous post and this post to my ohana, I would receive seriously raised eyebrows, looks of incomprehension, and piercing looks of accusations that I crossed social sensibilities. Many of us growing up were raised by grandfathers or grandmothers who spoke first generation pidgin. Many of us also had interactions with first generation elder pidgin speakers of many other races. As with many other cultures, the language was no longer was a form of communications. It is ingrained in the most deepest part of our souls because that is how we communicated with loved ones and loved ones who passed on. The emotional memory associated with pidgin is very deep. Many of us embrace pidgin because of the older generations who are still alive. They are those who cannot comprehend the words of my previous post and perhaps this post. Many older generations were not highly educated. But they had wisdom transcending any education that I received which is the highest level in this country. When we speak pidgin to the older generations, it is a form of respect. When we speak to each other, it is heart to heart communications. And quite often the heart to heart communications transcends the words itself such as intuitive knowledge of “da kine”.

Is speaking pidgin a turn off? Answering with a simple yes or no suggests a cultural IQ of Hawaii that is well below your knees.

End Semi-dissertation

Edited by - Menpachi Man on 07/01/2008 7:20:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  4:52:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hear, hear, Dr. Menpachi.So brilliantly and eloquently spoken. Chicken skin.

But you did get one point wrong -- neither you nor Braddah Ed are socially retarded. You both have sensabilities that we all should aspire to. You are both so very astute at reading a situation and knowing just how to approach that situation. You both have given me great friendship and advice when I need it, yes, friends, about social situations. And that advice has always proved to be sound advice, right on the mark!

So, Glenn, be proud of how smart you are, how educated you are, what a good fisherman you are, what a handsome man you are, what a good guitar player you are, what a good story teller you are, what a fine son you are, what a swell computer dude you are, and most of all, what a fine friend you are.

OK, I am pau. Me & kitty are going hiamoe.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Menpachi Man
Lokahi

274 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  4:58:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wondah! Haaaahhh? I tole u awreadeh. I ged won face dat look like one truck wen run ovah em. An u dunno me, at work, I way moah pompos den Reid, az y I like heem. I see hees heart, beyond da words. Me an Ed is socialeh retarded an futahded. No can help, we woz bohn dat way. Azz y haahd!
Go to Top of Page

Menpachi Man
Lokahi

274 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  5:09:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh braddah Duke, gaddah tahk harvahd no? Oddawize da hole worl no undastan! Oh yea, long ago, had plenneh Keeng Landeengs opihi peekahs missing, no can fine. No hea too much dees dayz. heheh, buh plenneh guyz wen go mainlan like me az y I steh still alive.
hoooh nok on wood eh?

Chris: Mahaloz fo da advise, u rite brah, gotta keep da feehing an shoah line rites open. An da run-offs, az da stuff ste make moah cigua.

Baritone: I ste remembah da hospito, Puu Maile? O someteen lidat. Plenneh spooks dea. Bebeh cry lidat. Wen get wipe out from da tidah wave.

Wea Jokah? Eh Jokah, u donno, mebbe I woz good friens wid yo fadda long ago in Hilo. Small worl befo time.

Noeau: chrai go HOOOF from da kapakahi sai. Speshelleh wen u wen go eet too much sweet bodato. U goin no wot HOOOOF is.

Edited by - Menpachi Man on 07/01/2008 5:30:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  5:53:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow laulau, Dr. U`u wot iz dis bizness wea you saying I use allada Harvahd werds lidat. No ways brah you waz smokin, I was truly impressed wid yo elekence wid da inglish. Sheesh waz jez like I waz back at work. You waz so righton about diz being oua first language wid oua loved ones lidat. Aldo I can write and speek in propa inglish I no I tink in pidgin, because alla Hawaiians at Lab School had to go speech terapy in alimantry. All I like say iz well sed cause you speakin fo alla da guys not jez FBI. Please note I neva rhymne da werd sed wid buddhahead yeah. Oh buy da way tuff guy I no like beef, but you get chicken oa fish? I'm on won diet.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  6:27:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We all communicate in a range of ways. Some use the English language, some use Pidgin, some use `olelo Hawai`i, some use smiley faces, some use a combination of these.

Off the board, we communicate with different people in different ways. When No`eau & I play music together, a simple nod of the head can mean many different musical cues, but when we are "in the zone," there's no confusion.

With Momi, a very subtle twitch of my eyes will tell her to look in a certain direction, to see something unusual across the road; or I can say a single specific word, knowing that it will tell her volumes.

Communication. It's what we do among all the members of our species, as well as with other ones. It's all "educated" because it all comes from a life's worth of learning.

I'm here - on my computer, at TaroPatch, in my life, on this planet - to learn. Keep teaching me, friends.
Go to Top of Page

Menpachi Man
Lokahi

274 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  6:44:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh braddah Petah! Yea, uz ducktahs ged way wid werds no? Eh I nokea eef u no ged formal duktah, u always Duktah Medeiros to me!!

Buh nah, mah eengleeh eez junk. I woz dreenkeen beeya wid plenneh emotional ehnahgee an woz playin kihoalu from memory of yo ole blue prints wit improvize kine stuff. Anywayz, can edit da pos' fo make em moah hi volic fo one akchual dissertashun. Bud az woz nuff. Buh, jalike slack key no? Gahddah tahk from da haht az bes eengleesh az can. I like rite fo undastandeen not fo confrontashun. Dees way moah beddah. Buh long ago, mah eengleeh woz junk, so I read da dikshunary, poket book kine front to back. I feegah, dey like tahk "English", I wipe u guys out! Buddah hed no? Azz y haahd!

Some guyz steh teenkeen, hahcome I swich spelleengs? Coz jalike slack key, can switch da style on da fly. No ged me wrong, I not good playah! Nah like Guava-man.

Eh Braddah Pete, jalike mah Hawaiian frien hu no can dive, eef I woz in Hawaii on beeg Isle, I go tell u, eh brah, wot kine feesh yu like I speeya? I ged em fo u brah, no worrehz. Kole, U’u, aweoweo, manini, aholehole, pakuikui, maiko, moi (goddah get luck fo dis one), Uhu, Nenue, Pualu (da meat paht good fo poke eef not touch da guts paht). Ulua, luckeh luckeh fo cach, an goddah tess fo cigua. U like yellow kine opihi, I no wea steel ged. Fo da guy hu make da blue preents an wen introduce me how fo play da nice kihoalu ... wotevah u like brah!! I ged em!! Oh an on my moddah propatee, ged wile cheeken runnin aroun, I make shua nobodeh poison grass befoe I cach em. heheh!

Retro: u can sho me how fo catch feesh in Iowa? An wea fo go? Da pon an lakes no moah wave so kaina deefren no? No moah shahks, no moah puhi, buh ged snappin turdles.

Edited by - Menpachi Man on 07/01/2008 7:18:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  7:55:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thing with pidgin, is to be succinct. In Thailand, Italy, Germany, Louisiana I used 'pidgin Italian', i.e. anything to get the point across. When speaking to a German in Italy I'de use Italian, German, and English. Mixed in Napoleonic French, English, Spanish (maybe catalan, or...) in Louisiana. My great, great great grandfather was hired from China to Hilo (to work the Chinese sugar plantation) because he could speak Hakka, Mandarin, and....oh, hell, Chinese; plus, he knew the recipe for making sugar AND he could write da kine scratches. BUT, he had to speak English, Hawaiian, Chinese, Japanese, Portuguese, and Filipino (lucky those from India and Cuba were few in the 'hood) PLUS understand Scottish brogue because many of the plantation supers were from Scotland.

"Pidgin" was the language in our general store for the neighbors use wen they buy supplies from us, especially dem guys transitioning from plantation life to life in the US Territory of Hawaii. And, as many of the immigrants were speakers, not writers, idioms and nemonic "watevahs" that worked in the 'hood DID NOT work in the 'hoods of odda ahupuaa, like Hilo no match wit Waimanalo; Kailua Kona no work in Lahaina. Kauai was different. Asz wy pidgin wen work back in 1947.

Today, the kine island pidgin dis makule grow up wit no match 2008 Hawaii pidgin AND hard for me comprehend da kine syntax in use. Guave Ed I can understand, pictorially. I no need READ his pidgin; I can see um. Noeau pidgin... I godda tink liddle bit fo cognitive connection. Da bestest, is wen we face-to-face and pound da pidgin.

Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  9:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man, you guyz write da kine PHD pidgin liʻdat. Hoof hearted, eyef hearted. So now I get it das one good one fo me. We always lerneeng new stuffs o hea! E menpachi, if you no can ovah come da guava guy I like your guitar so I can rekamembah you. My moddah use to say e, no make trouble you going feel sorry bumby eef you mek liʻdat. An no worry Baritone stay my fren so he no mean no hahm. Tanks enyway.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  06:24:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Menpachi Man

Retro: u can sho me how fo catch feesh in Iowa? An wea fo go? Da pon an lakes no moah wave so kaina deefren no? No moah shahks, no moah puhi, buh ged snappin turdles.
Most likely, it was somewhere along the Des Moines or Raccoon Rivers, before they came through the city. But that would have been in the early 1960s; I'd hesitate to eat something from those rivers these days (particularly with the fertilizer runoff post-flooding). I know that we used to eat catfish from the Mississippi, back in the days when you could practically wade halfway out into the river (until you hit the ship canal dredged in the middle - which is much wider these days); this would have been down near Keokuk.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 73 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000