Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Palani Vaughan's Ka Mamakakaua
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  10:10:48 PM  Show Profile
This is the song I am researching and trying to learn right now. I first heard it on Makaha Sons of Ni`ihau "Lve at Hank's Place". I was sure this was an old, old mele from way back in the "bayonet constitution" days and was very surprised to find that Palani Vaughn wrote it. I am thinking that I need to learn more about Palani Vaughn. It appears to me (my uneducated eye) that it is written in a very old style; the phrasing of the verses, indeed even the language. Not a bit of kaona in this one. He says it all straight out. I think it is swell that a modern day haku mele is providing history lessons for us. We can learn a lot from the music if we just listen.
------------------------------
From huapala.org
Ka Mâmakakaua - by Palani Vaughan

Ua ala a kû`e! Kû`e! Kû`e!
Ka mâmakakaua hanohano! Kû`e!
Ua ala a kû`e! Kû`e! Kû`e!
Ka mâmakakaua Loialiki! Kû`e
Kû`e! Kû`e!

Ka mâmakakaua!
Na Loialiki koa!
Kipû Lani!
Ka mâmakakaua
Ka mâmakakaua
Kûpa`a mahope!
Kûpa`a mahope
O ka `âina!
Ua ala a kû`e! Kû`e!

Ka pûkaua koa!
`O Wilikoki wiwo`ole!
Me Lopaka Poe!
A me nâ koa Loialiki!
Ka mâmakakaua! I hô`ikaika ho`i!
E ho`iho`i i nâ pono! O Kalâkaua!
Nâ Loialiki! Kû`e! Kû`e!

Ka mâmakakaua!
Me nâ pâlule `ula!
Maloko a ka pâ!
O Hale Ali`i `Iolani!
Ka mâmakakaua
I paio wiwo`ole!
Kû`e i ka `enemi! O Ka Mô`i!
I ke aupuni ho`ohuli!

Ka mâmakakaua!
`Oiai ua pohô!
Kû`e i ka `enemi!
O ka lâhui o Hawai`i!
Ka mâmakakaua!
`A`ole poina `ia!
`A`ole poina `ia!
No ko lâkou wiwo`ole!
Aloha no nâ Loialiki e!

Hui:
Ua ala a ku`e!
Ka mamakakaua!
Kipu Lani e! Na Loialiki koa!
Kupa`a mahope o ka `aina!
Aloha `aina ho`i e!
Aloha `aina ho`i e!

They arose and revolted! Revolted! Revolted!
That glorious company of warriors! Revolted!
They arose and revolted! Revolted! Revolted!
The Loyalist company of warriors! Revolted!
Revolted! Revolted

The company of warriors!
Courageous Loyalists!
Loyal to the chief!
The company of warriors!
The company of warriors!
Standing firmly behind!
Standing firmly behind!
The land!
They arose and revolted! Revolted!

The brave war leader!
Fearless Robert Wilcox!
With Robert Boyd!
And the Loyalist warriors!
The company of warriors! Strove, indeed!
To restore the rights of Kalâkaua
The Loyalists! Revolted! Revolted!

The company of warriors!
With red shirts
Inside the grounds!
Of `Iolani Palace!
The company of warriors!
Who fought bravely!
Against the enemy of the King!
Against the revolutionary government!

The company of warriors!
Though they failed
Against the enemy!
Of the Hawaiian nation!
The company of warriors!
Not forgotten!
Not forgotten!
For their bravery!
Great love for the Loyalists!

Chorus:
They arose and revolted!
The company of warriors!
Loyal to the King! The brave Loyalists!
Standing firmly behind the land!
Patriots, indeed!
Patriots, indeed!

Source: CD "Palani Vaughn's Best Vol.1"- July 6, 1887, the revolutionary Hawaiian League with an army of 500 haole sharpshooters called the Honolulu Rifles, forced King Kalâkaua to sign a revised version of the Hawaiian Constitution, known infamously as the Bayonet Constitution. This curtailed the power of the throne and made other changes which adversely affected the Hawaiian people, primarily, the right to vote in elections. The morning of June 30, 1889, approximately 80 part-Hawaiian warriors, tried to take possession of `Iolani Palace. Armed with 35 rifles, some farmer rice bird guns and a few pistols, they were led by Robert Kalanihiapo Wilcox, Robert N. Boyd and George Markham. The mâmakakaua or company of warriors wamted to restore the rights and powers of their King. Auwê, they were defeated. The composer expresses the sentiment of the Hawaiian people as he pays tribute to the memory of those courageous red-shirted warriors who marched on `Iolani Palace to defend their King against his enemies in the Hawaiian League.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 03/23/2009 05:58:03 AM

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  10:27:01 PM  Show Profile
Some more points to ponder. I can only locate two recordings of the music, and I guess I've got both of them -- Palani Vaughn on the 50 greatest albums CD and on the Makaha Sons of Ni`ihau. I think it is Skippy singing it. Even a search on mele.com shows only those two available (not counting Palani Vaughn & Kings Own origiinal album, now out of print).

Also - here is an interesting article on why young people no like listen Hawaiian music: www.kaleo.org/media/storage/paper872/news/2007/05/01/Entertainment/The-Albums.Of.The.Sunday.Manoa-2889795.shtml" target="_blank">http://media.www.kaleo.org/media/storage/paper872/news/2007/05/01/Entertainment/The-Albums.Of.The.Sunday.Manoa-2889795.shtml

And here is some You Tube stuff. There is a really great film of Palani honoring Uncle George Na`ope on King Kalakaua's birthday last year: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=palani+vaughn&aq=f

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 03/22/2009 12:01:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

808robertr
Akahai

72 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2009 :  05:21:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit 808robertr's Homepage
Aloha Aunty,

Ka Mamakakaua was also recorded by the Brother's Cazimero on 2 albums. Caz Live-Take Me Home to Hawaii and Waikiki, My Castle By The Sea. Fom what I know this was done in honor of a small band of people loyal to the Hawaiian throne who organized and stood up to the Bayonet Constitution.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000